Villiers 2T clutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Villiers 2T clutch

I have a problem with the clutch on my Villiers 2T engine, it does not fully release the driving plates when operated, it makes gear changing and riding the machine (1964 Greeves sports Twin) impossible, I have renewed all four friction plates (surflex type) the 9 clutch springs, the pressure plate nut, the three piece push road, and clutch cable. The clutch operating lever appears to have full travel. I think that the clutch pack when fully assembled in the clutch basket is to wide to allow the clutch to disengage drive fully, but I can not see how to rectify it, all the new parts were purchased from Villiers services. has any of you guys had a similar problem? any advice will be much appreciated.

Have you adjusted the screw in centre of clutch to give 9/32" protrusion at the opposite side of gearbox as recommend for new plates? Then adjusted operating lever accordingly, See attached extract from the manual.
    On another matter I see from your original post that you joined the GRA in 2013 but do not appear to have been upgraded on forum from Basic to Member. So if you are still paid up you need to PM Rob to get upgraded s you can view members area.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by John Wakefield; 13/05/2017, 09:36 PM.

Comment

Hi John, Many thanks for your assistance, I have not checked the push rod protrusion distance at all, so I expect this is where the problem is, I will do so today and let you know how it all goes.

Comment

Hi John, the adjustment was way off, I have set it up as to the info you kindly replied with, and I now have a clutch which works really well, its amazing what a difference its made. many many thanks. Peter

Comment

I thought that looked to be the problem as Villiers clutches dont usually give trouble. You may have to readjust the measurement to 5/16 after plates bed in.
          Worth buying a workshop manual, they are still available as photo copies http://www.hawkshawmotorcycles.com/booksvilliers.html & occasionally originals on eBay

Comment

Working...
          X