Greeves Riders Association Forums   Greeves Riders Association Forums Not signed up? Send an email to contact@greeves-riders.org.uk requesting access.
Find out more about GRA membership and how to join here.

Go Back   Greeves Riders Association Forums > Engines, cycle parts and spares > Greeves engines

Old 11/05/2017, 09:51 PM
GRA Member

Default 9e grearbox on 32a barrel

A bike I have appears to have 3 gears which is odd as it is a 250 32a barrel (the 32a should be four speed). Is it possible that a 32a barrel could have been put onto a 3 speed 9e gearbox .
Old 12/05/2017, 07:47 AM
GRA Member

The 3 speed box will fit on a 32A crank case as fixings same as 4 speed. As far as I am aware Villiers only fitted the 3 speed to the 9E for road bike use, James, Francis Barnett etc it was never an option on the Greeves either trials or road bikes.
So you need to find a 4 speed box preferably one with wide (trials ratios). Easy enough to fit after you have dismantled primary drive. Not sure if you will need a different clutch for 4 speed box.
Looking at the eBay pics of your bike it has the 32A barrel so looks like 32A crankcases. The 31A was 1/4 inch shorter on the flange because the 9E has a shorter con rod, yours has the thick flange. Porting is the same on 31A & 32A

Last edited by John Wakefield; 12/05/2017 at 07:55 AM. Reason: amended wording after looking at eBay pics
Old 12/05/2017, 08:09 AM
GRA Member

John. It has already been determined in Mark's original post when he purchased the bike that it is a 32A; assuming it is the same bike, Mark? It seems that the PO either built up an engine from parts which he had available, hence the 3-speed 'box, or he wanted the 32A 4-speed gearbox for another bike, so swapped over with a 3-speeder; which can be bought as cheap as chips because nobody wants them; before selling it. A bit naughty, but he has got away with it. Presumably the vendor did not say it was a 3-speed, Mark?

As John has said, you need to source a 4-speed 'box, and swap them. Easy enough, but the 4-speed boxes fetch a premium price over the 3-speed one.

Edit - my post and your edit crossed in the ether John!

Last edited by IanCordes; 12/05/2017 at 08:12 AM.
Old 12/05/2017, 03:24 PM
GRA Member

Mark. Having looked at the ebay pictures of your bike, I am not convinced it has a 3-speed gearbox. The end covers are different, and, although yours is covered in cr#p, it looks to be a later 4 speed gearbox, with the improved change mechanism. If you can post up a clear picture of your (cleaned) gearbox end cover, that should help to identify it. It may be you have an issue with the gearbox which is only allowing selection of 3 gears. Have you ridden it? What are the spacings like between each gear? If it is not selecting one, it would help to identify which. Ian
Old 12/05/2017, 04:23 PM
GRA Member

This is a pic of a 3 speed 9E gearbox outer casing with the one on your bike. Yours looks like the 4 speed box
Selection should be one up three down with neutral between 1st & 2nd
Attached Thumbnails
s-l1600.jpg   s-l1600 (1).jpg  

Last edited by John Wakefield; 12/05/2017 at 04:38 PM.
Old 12/05/2017, 06:15 PM
GRA Member

Apologies, Ive been a bit of a duller. It is the same bike Ian, I had previously only managed to ride it to the end of the drive and found I could only select three gears.
After reading all the comments I decided to take it down a nearby farm track. I managed to select all 4 gears. I think that I just didn't have enough 'greeves riding experience'. The first gear is very low with the second and third quite close together and the fourth quite a high gear. Combined with the very short stubby gearchange I think that I must have just slipped straight through second and third. I think I just need more practice!
Old 12/05/2017, 07:48 PM
GRA Member

You have a result there then, Mark! No expensive trials gearbox to buy, which, from your description, is what you have. A nice little bike which should serve you well, once you get used to it and fettle it. Ian