DVLA no longer accepting manufactured dates for Historic tax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVLA no longer accepting manufactured dates for Historic tax

This thread from the IKBA forum make interesting reading, it would appear that DVLA are no longer accepting manufactured dates or club dating letters, for vehicles to qualify for Historic tax. It woud appear they are now only accepting first registered dates.

Historic Vehicle Class (again)

Posted by David on January 30, 2018, 2:17 pm

Just spoken to a nice young lady at DVLA about a bike I have Registered on January 1st 1978,I would like to register it as a historic vehicle on April 1st as it was obviously manufactured in 1977.No I can’t I have to wait till 2019 to do that I was told.I thought vehicles up till January 7th 2018 could be included for Historic vehicle registration.Anyone know if this info is correct?
    Never look down on anybody unless you're helping him up.

Re: Historic Vehicle Class (again)

Posted by chilly on January 30, 2018, 3:24 pm, in reply to "Historic Vehicle Class (again)"

My understanding as well David, Pre Jan 1st + 7 days grace.

Mine was Jan 18th last year so no go for 2017.

I see that DVLA are not recognising the built by date anymore only the Registration date, so no back dating for Historic Reg.

Posted by fiveTA den on January 30, 2018, 5:16 pm, in reply to "Re: Historic Vehicle Class (again)"

That's very interesting Chilly. I wonder if they are going to trawl through the records and find, what will be a not insubstantial amount, classics that have lain idle for several years and accordingly lost their original registrations and been re-registered several years later. If so some of us will get a nasty shock when we have to pay Road tax, possibly MoT and probably lose our right to classic insurance as well. We're doomed I tell you.
    Den

Posted by Hampshirebiker on January 30, 2018, 6:03 pm, in reply to "Re: Historic Vehicle Class (again)"

I wondered that as my 1965 T90 shows registered in 1983. The year of manufacture is, however, stated on the front of the V5C. It's currently classified as "unlicenced" as it has never been taxed in Swansea's time. We'll find out in May when it will be MOT exempt (I hope) and I apply for historic status.
    Just pissing about. I like that.

Posted by Stuart on January 30, 2018, 5:56 pm, in reply to "Re: Historic Vehicle Class (again)"

>DVLA are not recognising the built by date anymore only the Registration date, so no back dating for Historic Reg.

Jeez ... I thought we'd beaten this to death last year ...

1. On https://www.gov.uk/historic-vehicles...om-vehicle-tax (i.e. the Goverment's own website), it says:-

Historic (classic) vehicles: MOT and vehicle tax
    Eligibility
    Vehicles exempt from vehicle tax
    Apply for a vehicle tax exemption
    Renewing your vehicle tax
    Vehicles exempt from vehicle tax

You can apply to stop paying vehicle tax if your vehicle was built before 1 January 1977. You must tax your vehicle even if you don’t have to pay.

If you don’t know when your vehicle was built, but it was first registered before 8 January 1977, you can still apply to stop paying vehicle tax.
    Eligible vehicles
    You can apply for these vehicles to be made exempt:

cars
    vans
    motorcycles
    tricycles

2. For instance, T160 Tridents were built date-coded between December 1974 and March 1976 and exported all over the world. Because of the financial collapse of NVT, unused T160's were being returned to GB and "first registered" as late as 1984. Are you or the DVLA seriously telling me that two consecutively-numbered T160's, build date confirmed by official NVT records, one reimported in, say, 1980 and "first registered" with a contemporary mark then, the other reimported and "first registered" with an age-related mark today, the first one wouldn't be "Historic" tax but the second one would? Or neither would?

If so, why would my T160 date-coded April 1975 but not "first registered" 'til June 1977 be "Historic"?

Regards,

Posted by chilly on January 30, 2018, 9:38 pm, in reply to "Re: Historic Vehicle Class (again)"

Ok Stuart, settle down mate.
    I just tried to get my bike dated from the build date and not its registration date and was informed that DVLA are not accepting this anymore ?
    I was sent the document with the info but I just can't copy and paste it for your viewing.
    Maybe I read it wrong and my dating officer was wrong, be good if its false news, but i'm not holding my breath.

Posted by David on January 30, 2018, 10:10 pm, in reply to "Re: Historic Vehicle Class (again)"

Another of my bikes was registered mid October 1977 and the nice young lady confirmed I would be able to register it as Historic vehicle from 1st April 2018.I assumed DVLA hadn’t updated their information ie “If your vehicle was BUILT before 1st January 1977” so assumed it should now read 1st January 1978.

Posted by chilly on January 30, 2018, 10:10 pm, in reply to "Re: Historic Vehicle Class (again)"

Looks like from this bit of info from the DVLA you need to get a manufactures date of build as they don't take the Clubs dating officers word.

A Vehicle registration certificate (V5C) – this must clearly show that the vehicle was made or first registered before 1 January 1977. If you do not have a V5C, or if you think the age shown is incorrect, you will need to produce an extract from the manufacturer/factory record or an extract from the appropriate ‘Glasses Check Book’. Dating certificates from a vehicle enthusiasts’ club are not acceptable to change the date of manufacture for an already registered vehicle.
    (If the V5C indicates that the vehicle was registered from 1 January 1977 up to and including 7 January 1977, we will let you register it as a historic vehicle, based on the assumption that the vehicle would have been made in the previous year.
    Sorry Stuart if this old info but I didn't know. this.

Posted by David on January 30, 2018, 10:34 pm, in reply to "Re: Historic Vehicle Class (again)"

But that info means vehicles now have to be 41 years old for HV class

Posted by Stuart on January 31, 2018, 2:02 am, in reply to "Re: Historic Vehicle Class (again)"

Afaict, by a quirk of the 2013/4 Budget legislation changes that revived the rolling 40-year exemption, it doesn't become "1 January 1978" and "8 January 1978" 'til 1st April 2018.

Posted by Stuart on January 31, 2018, 1:53 am, in reply to "Re: Historic Vehicle Class (again)"

>Looks like from this bit of info from the DVLA you need to get a manufactures date of build as they don't take the Clubs dating officers word.

Depends on the given Club. If it's the VMCC (and VCC?) or an OC for a British-made vehicle, DVLA have to "take the Clubs dating officers word"; because, by virtue of the records that came out of the Science Museum to the VMCC (and VCC?), who then passed on relevant bits to OC, it's Clubs that have "the manufacturer/factory record" and it's usually the dating officer that has access to it. What's tightened up afaict is, whereas in the past a Club dating officer perhaps simply looked at "the manufacturer/factory record" for the details to put on the dating certificate, now DVLA want some sort of copy/"extract" of that "manufacturer/factory record".

Perhaps curiously, the "extract" isn't necessarily a photocopy of the manufacturer/factory record - probably because most were originally one hand-written line on a big ledger page and some are damn' hard to read. Just whatever's provided by a Club dating officer, the Club and the format must be acceptable to the DVLA. What's apparently different is you aren't allowed to call 'em "dating certificates" anymore ...

Otoh, if - perhaps because the Club is for an obscure foreign make - the dating officer can't supply any "extract from the manufacturer/factory record or an extract from the appropriate ‘Glasses Check Book’", then "the Clubs dating officers word" isn't acceptable on its own.

Regards,
Working...
X