This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

John Collard Authentications

Recently I've had a couple of owners get in touch to say that DVLA have turned down their applications for registration because the GRA authentications are signed by John Collard - in other words more than a year old.

DVLA tell me they will only accept authentications signed by me.

I've just had one where the authentication letter is dated 2007(!)

If you are in the same position you will need to start the process afresh, so PM or email me with your address and I'll start the process again.

I may be able to issue an authentication certificate without a further inspection, but I'll need to deal with each case individually, depending on the circumstances.
    Colin Sparrow

Comment

That seems to be rather over officious of DVLA. If they accepted John Collard's verification then, why not now? About 4 years ago I registered my Matchless 350 G3T with an authentication letter from AJS&MOC dated 2000! It went through without question.

Comment

I think this is just further tightening up by DVLA, my personal feeling is that in the not too distant future they will call time on re registrations of old vehicles. My advice to anyone who has an old bike with expired number (or still on old buff/green logbook) is to get it sorted with Colin NOW. Dont leave it.

Comment

It's not DVLA being officious, just that when John C "retired" and I took over, they substituted my name and signature for John's - so he no longer appears in their current file.

Don't panic everyone, John W. There's quite enough work without a sudden rush.
          Colin Sparrow

Comment

I agree with Colin in that modern systems don't remember who used to do it, so any old applications will fall. I get the same in my 4 wheel world when club members forget to renew their memberships and get dumped by the system. "I've been a member for 30 years and you tell me you don't know my address???" YUP....fill in the form!

Comment

Hi Colin, I am currently restoring a Pathfinder, does the GRA have the records to show if it was registered at point of sale etc from the frame number please, many regards.

Comment

Presumably John C. listed all of his inspections when issuing authentications, surely these could just be re - endorsed if someone has not used the older authenticating letter?
                I only ask cos I have one

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by mark59b View Post
                  Hi Colin, I am currently restoring a Pathfinder, does the GRA have the records to show if it was registered at point of sale etc from the frame number please, many regards.
                  Hi Mark, we have the factory UK dispatch record, but it doesn't show registration numbers because the bikes were registered by the receiving dealers. So we can't help with identifying original numbers - but we can help if you have documentary evidence linking a registration number to a frame number. We more often help people obtain age-related numbers. In either case you will need our help.
                  Colin Sparrow

Comment

Originally posted by cray View Post
                    Presumably John C. listed all of his inspections when issuing authentications, surely these could just be re - endorsed if someone has not used the older authenticating letter?
                    I only ask cos I have one

Cheers
                    I don't have any records of bikes authenticated by John, however if one of his letters is submitted with an application for a new authentication, the applicant is the original recipient of John's letter and the letter is reasonably recent, I may be able to issue a replacement letter - but only on a case-by-case basis and no guarantees I will do so.
                    Colin Sparrow

Comment

Back at the end of 2017 I issued an authentication certificate. The applicant was a non-member. The certificate was dated 15th December 2017.

He has now come back to me to say that his application for a V5C has been turned down by DVLA because the authentication certificate is more than a year old.

I haven't come across this restriction before because I only took over as Authentication Officer in the latter part of 2017. Or it may be a new DVLA requirement.

The point is (and I will from now on emphasise this in my correspondence with applicants.) is that it is vital to make prompt application to DVLA for a V5C once you've got an authentication certificate.

So anyone out there with an older authentication certificate who hasn't applied to DVLA needs to get on with it.

I will sort out the chap in question, but I will be seeking Committee guidance on future policy once we see how things turn out.
                      Colin Sparrow

Comment

In the last few days I have had a couple of members reporting that their recent authentication letters have been rejected by DVLA. The reason given is that DVLA want us to quote the date of manufacture rather than the date of dispatch. I have always treated them as the same day, but apparently that won't do any more.

That's ok, I can write my way round that in future, but there could be a fair number of authentication letters out there that will therefore no longer pass muster. I don't wish to start a prolonged discussion on this, and I particularly don't want us to start slagging off DVLA - they're only doing their job as they see it. The point is that some more of these will probably crop up as there are a fair number of customers who don't seem to have got round to applying for their registration yet.

I'd just say to them, don't panic if it all comes back, just email me with a copy of the DVLA rejection letter attached and I'll sort you out a new and improved authentication letter. No charge, but only if the original is less than a year old.
                        Last edited by Colin Sparrow; 05/10/2019, 10:42 AM.
                        Colin Sparrow

Comment

Some of you will be aware that I haven't been that well for a while. The cure is (hopefully) arriving the week after next when I go into Royal Papworth Hospital for major heart surgery (a replacement valve and two bypasses, if anyone's curious).

This does mean that the authentication service will be temporally suspended for a few weeks. You won't be able to 'phone me after next weekend and I don't know if I will be able to see the forum. So if you need the service please email me on colinsparrow@btinternet.com and I'll deal with your query as soon as I'm well enough.
                          Colin Sparrow

Comment

Best wishes for a speedy recovery Colin.

Regards.

Ian

Comment

Best wishes Colin.The Royal Papworth is only just down the road from me, let me know what ward you are in I may be able to make a visit. I am sure the hospital has a wifi link so you should be able to get on line after your op.

Comment

Best wishes and a speedy and successful outcome Colin, Regards Les.

Comment

Working...
                                X