Targeted Bike Theft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Targeted Bike Theft

Mike Hobbs, Cambridgeshire VMCC stalwart and friend has put out this sad report. Although seemingly no Greeves were there to be stolen, the further the word goes out on what was taken the better.

Also it serves as yet another reminder that our motorcycles are clearly being targeted by the thieving bastards. Well-organised bastards too! Here's Mike:

"I hoped that I would never have to write an e-mail like this but with the conniving scum that we have in this world today I suppose it was inevitable.

During the course of Wednesday night my large shed was broken into and nine motorcycles were stolen. My lovely old 1930 BSA Sloper, 1968 Bantam Sports, Richard's 1927 AJS, 1926 Coventry Eagle, 1952 125 Bantam, 1946 Ariel twin port, 1948 BSA ZB, 1914 New Hudson and the 1933 Francis Barnett Lapwing have gone. Poor Drew, who kept some bikes here as he is short of space at home, had his lovely 1929 Ariel 250 LH taken together with his beautiful 1952 Ariel VHA that he has only just finished building.

They stole Richard's 4 wheel car trailer, which was chained to ground anchors on the concrete floor of the yard. A fence was broken, but fortunately not one that kept the horses in. The cheeky bastards even had an electric chainsaw to cut a hole in the side hedge so they could get a vehicle on the site.

If the alarm went off, we didn't hear it. Needless to say, if any one hears of anything through the trade, at auto-jumbles or through social media, or eBay or any other sale site I would be very grateful.

Apart from that, I will have to be philosophical and move on. Bigger locks will be fitted and new alarms will be fitted, that you can hear in St Ives.

They never took my electric start Japanese bike so I can still go on the ride outs. But, it will never be the same, even if the insurances coughs up for replacements.

The Police have given me a crime number and offered victim support. Great!"
    Last edited by Colin Sparrow; 06/11/2017, 09:17 AM.
    Colin Sparrow

A sad state of affairs. Obviously organised criminals stealing to order, probably for an overseas collector. Note they took all the high value bikes and left the 'grey porridge' bikes like Mike's Greeves and the Jap bike. Sign of the times, and a direct result of escalating bike values fueled by 'inflation proof' touting dealers pushing prices into ridiculous figures. So not only making the bikes vulnerable to thieves but putting them out of reach of people who still want to actually ride them and enjoy them. Luckily most Greeves are not in that bracket yet but are sadly getting there.

Comment

There too!

My sympathies go out to the victims of this cruel event. I lost a 1955 DOT in very similar circumstances earlier this year. I too was given a crime number and offer of counselling when all I really wanted was my bike back, or at least more convincing reassurance that the burglary was being actively pursued!
      Last edited by johnrunnacles; 06/11/2017, 11:49 AM. Reason: Too much information!

Comment

Would it help to put it out on my Facebook page?

Comment

WE need to circulate frame and engine numbers to all possible avenues. Without those, nobody can do anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Catt View Post
            WE need to circulate frame and engine numbers to all possible avenues. Without those, nobody can do anything.
            Probably to late Brian, they are probably in a container and out of the country by now. No one would be stupid enough to sell these on eBay (would they?)

Comment

I circulated details of mine on Facebook, GRA Forum, DOT Club newsletter, Old Bike Mart, Trials & MX News, Classic Bike, local dealers (Andy Tiernan, Orwell M/cs, Copdock M/cs, Bob Nicholls et al) and have been "keeping tabs" on all and on eBay since but all to no avail, so I guess you're probably right, John.
              Last edited by johnrunnacles; 09/11/2017, 10:15 AM.

Comment

We did have success with 3 bikes stolen within the South Midland Centre and they were dumped only a few days after the theft.

Comment

Originally posted by johnrunnacles View Post
                  I circulated details of mine on Facebook, GRA Forum, DOT Club newsletter, Old Bike Mart, Trials & MX News, Classic Bike, local dealers (Andy Tiernan, Orwell M/cs, Copdock M/cs, Bob Nicholls et al) and have been "keeping tabs" on all and on eBay since but all to no avail, so I guess you're probably right, John. (I suspect it's a whole lot more than the Police have done, too.)
                  Unfortunately the Police are now stretched to breaking point and the officer allocated to this crime would not be able or indeed authorised to spend time contacting dealers, owners clubs, forums, press and ‘social media’. It’s frustrating but don’t have a go at the Police.

Comment

Not "having a go", Sherpatensing, just sayin' .............. Have withdrawn comment in case it continues to give unintended offence.
                    Last edited by johnrunnacles; 09/11/2017, 08:01 PM.

Comment

No offence taken John. You may have guessed that I work for the Police and we are frustrated that we cannot do more. This is yet another theft that causes people heartbreak and grief.
                      I hope the Police have created ‘stolen’ markers on the PNC (police national computer) on each bikes record and a Police Record for any that are not road registered. It’s important to record engine and frame numbers accurately.
                      As I say John, no offence taken.

Comment

One positive step that owners can take is to fit a tracking device. Has anyone any knowledge or recommendations for these? They seem to vary in price from relatively cheap ones around £50 to expensive ones in excess of £250. Obviously there is a difference, but would a cheap one give basic tracking? I think they all work by GPS. A coach operator I know has them fitted on all his buses & coaches and he can at any time see where they are on his computor.
                        Whilst a tracker will not stop the bike being stolen it should aid recovery, and maybe if a sticker is attached saying "This vehicle has a tracking device fitted" it may deter thieves.

Comment

As with alarm systems, hiding them on a bikes is difficult! The normal MO with pro car thieves is to park the vehicle for a couple of days to see if it gets recovered. With a bike, they can normally see a tracker device and put it in a skip, or just smash it. Maybe Smartwater should be broadened to cover 2 wheels of both powered and non-powered types.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Catt View Post
                            As with alarm systems, hiding them on a bikes is difficult! The normal MO with pro car thieves is to park the vehicle for a couple of days to see if it gets recovered. With a bike, they can normally see a tracker device and put it in a skip, or just smash it. Maybe Smartwater should be broadened to cover 2 wheels of both powered and non-powered types.
                            Good point Brian but would they spend time looking for a tracker at the time they nick it, if the theft was discovered in time it could be tracked while still in transit in a van. Are not trackers small enough to hide on a bike like under the seat or tank. Easier on a road bike than a comp bike maybe.

Comment

Very sad to hear this growing rate of thefts that is rife, my Son in law used to work for the environment agency, and at two of our container docks on the east coast were targeted a few years back to check out what was in the containers carrying waste overseas, and they found Range Rovers and high class cars inside hidden the rubbish!! so getting bikes out of England is going to be even easier for them Europe is a quick hop , Autojumble and Auction sales must be more responsible in what is being sold but policing it is another matter. E bay has encouraged the situation as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X