Griffon QUB rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok Back to the rebuild,
    Trying to size up the exhaust and fit before giving it the caustic soda treatment and painting. Obviously need a new front piece as the original has been battered:roll eyes:
    Attached Files

Comment

Dave, My whole racing career has been plagued with ignition problems Always turns up when racing against faster guys. I have no doubt that my coil will go bang before yours. Looking forward to it though.

Comment

Craig, forget costic...waste of time, if you can....neighbour wise, its a much better job to burn it out, if you put a blow lamp at one end & keep it there untill the carbon glows, turn off the lamp & it will slowly burn right through the pipe, using the baked on carbon as fuel.
        You can watch the ring as it goes down through, does make a little bit of smoke though, but the expansion pipe is back to bare metal.....try it...

Comment

Thanks Dave, sounds like a really good idea, I will try out tomorrow. Neighbours, what neighbours????? I will let you know if it works or if I end up in casualty etc.

Comment

Just realised that I have an original Akront rim laced to a Griifon front hub. Shame not to use it. Now just need to look for matching rear. Any ideas out there
            Attached Files

Comment

one more photo, forgot to post
              Attached Files

Comment

Preston Petty Products.

Originally posted by griffon380 View Post
                Dave,
                Not taking the Michael about your pretty plastics. I have two lovely mudguards I can give you, they might be different colours but if you use plastic then you won't worry about lack of style
                They are from this Petty guy who must also have been tired of bashing out good honest alloy after a decent race meeting.
                I have included a guarantee which should last at least one race meeting
                Great stuff Craig, and amazing to see that original guarantee sticker-brought back happy memories did that. Remember the little paper flysheet catalogue that always came in the bag? I managed to dig one out that I'd kept all these years (see attached.) Even cooler, did you know that Mr Petty is actually a member of this very forum!

So, if you're reading this Mr Petty, a heartfelt thanks from us lads who made use of your brilliant products when there was nothing else available at the time (for me, mid '70's), and indeed, still do.

Brian.
                Attached Files

Comment

Big up the plastic Petty

Brian, That really does bring back memories, even though I was only 8 years old in the seventies . I have a Petty on my Yamaha 500TT and much better than the original big dopy oversized original. (hint Dave. plastic is for Yamaha's) If Mr Petty is reading then big thanks for pioneering the plastic.

Comment

...and the 'IT' rear fender....Hex-grips....etc etc!

.......amazing what you find in old cupboards innit.....

At least it's preserved on here now for others to see and enjoy too. Thanks for reminding me to find it out and post it Craig!

Right....back to the garage with yer......gotta finish that pipe layout before bedtime....!!

Brian.
                    Last edited by Brian Thompson; 02/12/2014, 11:07 PM. Reason: Extra drivel.....!!

Comment

My qub has a pair of akront flanged rims......am i posh?....
                      Going back to the exhaust, you must get the carbon hot enough, so as it burns on its own & keep one end open, it draws it through like a chimney...

Comment

You posh git. How will I stand a chance in our legendary race meeting if I can't find a rear Akront??
                        Obviously my first excuse for not being able to lap you

Comment

Just as an aside, said Preston Petty is still a racer, but uses a Zero electric machine on short oval circuits. His range of mudguardery is still available from an American source if you need more.....

Comment

Thanks Brian

Going to stick with alloys, I never fall off

Comment

Back to the rebuild

Why build one when you can build two at a time
                              I have decided to build the 250 to fill in the gaps between ordering and receiving parts. Its a 73 Griffon so has black frame and alloy tank I think?? Going by Colin's new book anyway.
                              The bike has new top end but like the 380 I am worried about the gearbox internals being worn. Guess I will find out soon enough on the first test ride.
                              Attached Files

Comment

All parts present and correct. Even the nice little fine gauze filter on the main jet.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X