This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greeves Film Clips On 'You Tube'.

'You Tube' is a public video sharing website where people can upload and share personal videos and film footage. Greeves enthusiasts and GRA members have uploaded quite a bit of material of interest, including some rare and historic films. (See 'Archives and Historical Information' sub-forum for links to these clips.)

The homepage address is; www.youtube.com

Below are links to some of the more general (modern) Greeves related films I've found, although there may well be others. It's such a large site and very dependant on what is typed into the 'search' field. If you would like to investigate further you could try typing in (for example) 'Greeves', 'Greeves Scrambles', 'Greeves Trials', 'Pre65 Scrambles', 'Pre65 Trials', 'Vintage trials', 'Classic Scrambles', and always have a look at what comes up in the 'related videos' field on the lower right of the screen for other clips of interest.

As with the British Pathe film clips, in order to view the films click onto the 'link' (in blue) below each title. As usual, you will need to 'expand' the 'new window' and can access the option to view in 'full screen' using the icon on the viewing screen area. Again, simply close the link (click the red 'x' in the 'new window') and this will return you to the the page so you can then select and view another film. Some clips have music and if so the volume can be turned down or off, and in some instances can be cancelled (click the 'X' on the music 'title bar'); some of the choices can be a bit naff to be honest....! Also, occasionally you may find an advert pops up in the lower part of the viewing screen; simply click the 'X' on the advert to remove it if it gets in the way.

Thanks to everyone who uploaded these films to share on 'You Tube'.

Hope everyone enjoys watching them!

Brian.

Here are the films, in no particular order;

GRA Stand at the Bristol Classic Bike Show.

Thundersley Invacar.

Invacar.

Invacar From a Different Angle.

Pre65 Scottish 2 Day Trial, 2009.

Sprinting At North Weald, 1999.
    Video of my brother and me sprint racing on a pair of 250cc Greeves motorcycles.the last shot shows all the greeves racing that day, including a 350cc greeve...

Sprinting A Greeves Silverstone.

Greeves Anglian Test Ride.
    This is one Anglian Greeves motorcycle made in 2000, bought new a few years later.

Greeves Scottish (Running.)
    Putting her back together. She hadnt run since 1985. Bored .20 over, Electronic Ignition, Needs a few bits but is going to be a survivor.

Greeves Griffon (Start-up.)
    Auf YouTube findest du die angesagtesten Videos und Tracks. Au?erdem kannst du eigene Inhalte hochladen und mit Freunden oder gleich der ganzen Welt teilen.

Greeves 380 Griffon (Running.)
    Auf YouTube findest du die angesagtesten Videos und Tracks. Au?erdem kannst du eigene Inhalte hochladen und mit Freunden oder gleich der ganzen Welt teilen.

Greeves 380 Griffon.
    1969 GREEVES 380 GRIFFON 58C TWINPORT MODEL RESTORED IN 1988 RIDDEN BY PAUL PRINGLE NOW RIDDEN BY MYSELF !

Greeves 1961 24MCS.
    FILM OF MY GREEVES 24MCS 1961 I HAD WHEN SINCE I WAS 14

Mark's Greeves Ranger.

Greeves 24TFS, Jack Machard.

My Bikes.

Pre65 Classic Scrambles At Maylandsea, 27th. July 2008.
    Pre-65 Motocross Club classic scramble from Maylandsea in Essex on Sunday 27 July 2008.The classic scrambles event saw riders take part in a number of Le Man...

Pre65 Motocross Twinshock At Marks Tey.

Pre65 Scramble, August 2006.
    The clubmans race at the Marks Tey pre 65 scramble, 06-08-2006, Owen Sparrow(Greeves Griffon)wins a thrilling photo finish after suffering a sticking throttl...

Greeves Slideshow.

Vintage Trials Up At The Farm #3. (Greeves Anglian.)
    Nice Greeves, It almost seems like it ran out of Fuel.... Mick would be proud! What a nice bike!

Vintage Trials Up At The Farm #4. (Greeves Anglian.)
    Here's a good one of the Greeves...The guy cleaned it on Section 9 -What a nice bike...

Greeves 36MX4 at Suzuka Fishmarket, Japan.

Ian Stonebridge firing up his Dad's NSU Greeves at the GRA AGM.
    BRIAN STONEBRIDGES GREEVES NSU !! 250 RESTORED RUNNING WITH THANKS TO IAN STONEBRIDGE (HEALTHY EXHAUST NOTE ! TURN YOUR SOUND UP) ALSO ANDREW KING IN THE COR...
    Last edited by Brian Thompson; 25/08/2010, 10:41 PM. Reason: Additional Information/New Film Added.

The two clips of my brother Paul and me sprinting at North Weald bring back some memories. More than ten years ago..!

The bike Paul is using is my Silverstone replica - see Avatar above. My bike is my 24MX4-engined special.

Much to my disgust, Paul managed the only sub-16sec quarter that racer ever achieved - I never got it under 16secs.
    Last edited by Colin Sparrow; 14/02/2010, 11:24 AM. Reason: Test
    Colin Sparrow

Comment

Nice one Colin, thought you'd spot those! There are one or two other GRA members in there as well so I hope we may get a few more posts on the clips when the forum goes 'live' with the wider membership.

At least there is some stuff for people to look at (in the way of film clips anyway, by my reckoning about 71 now!), and I've got a few more ideas in the wings to post further items to fill it out a bit more.

Regarding that sub 16 time that your brother managed, perhaps he slipped some lighter fluid in the tank when you wern't looking?! We found 'Ronsons' used to give the best results in my mates NSU Quickly (I kid you not!!!) Ah, the folly's of youth eh?!

Back in the early 70's (in our early teens) we used to experiment with skimming the head on that thing as well....with a file!!! I'll never forget the day I walked into Daz's shed to find him filing the top of a piston (in the vice, with no jaw protectors!) in an effort to reduce the compression ratio we had 'created'....!!! 'Knock' is not just caused by pre-ignition then, as we found out....sometimes it is the sound of a piston hitting a combustion chamber!

As for the things we did to those poor Villiers engines (attached to various Greeves trials bikes) unfortunate enough to be in our 'sphere of influence' at the time....still, you've gotta start somewhere I suppose, and we knew no better at that age! Happy days!

Brian.
      Last edited by Brian Thompson; 14/02/2010, 02:17 PM. Reason: Because I can!!!!

Comment

New film added!

I've just added a new film clip to the main list (see post #1.) It's the very last one (right at the bottom) and shows Ian Stonebridge firing up his Dad's (Brian Stonebridge) historic NSU Greeves at the GRA AGM following it's superb restoration by John Fryatt. I suggest you turn up the volume to 'max' (geddit?!...sorry!) on your computer when you listen to it! Does this bike sound GOOD or what....!!!!!!!!!

With many thanks to Greeves246 for posting the film!

Brian.
        Last edited by Brian Thompson; 25/08/2010, 10:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Thompson View Post
          I've just added a new film clip to the main list (see post #1.) It's the very last one (right at the bottom) and shows Ian Stonebridge firing up his Dad's (Brian Stonebridge) historic NSU Greeves at the GRA AGM following it's superb restoration by John Fryatt. I suggest you turn up the volume to 'max' (geddit?!...sorry!) on your computer when you listen to it! Does this bike sound GOOD or what....!!!!!!!!!

With many thanks to Greeves246 for posting the film!

Brian.
          Brian,

Very nice! Great sounding motor!!

Thanks for posting Brian!!

Now I want to build one!!

Kenny Sykes

Comment

Hi Kenny.

I've ridden it (and its 1958 sister). They're both great, although the 1959 machine is currently a bit over-geared. That Sportmax-tuned engine really has some punch!
            Colin Sparrow

Comment

Originally posted by Colin Sparrow View Post
              Hi Kenny.

I've ridden it (and its 1958 sister). They're both great, although the 1959 machine is currently a bit over-geared. That Sportmax-tuned engine really has some punch!
              Hi Colin,

You lucky guy!

Kenny

Comment

Yeah, amen to that Kenny! I was there that day at Battlesbridge, and it was great to see Colin get that privelidge after all the brilliant work he's done documenting the history of these very special bikes. Made me grin did that, but Colin's grin was bigger!!!

As he said afterwards, riding both of them back to back like that was something that not even Brian Stonebridge himself managed to do!

Quick plug! Colin recently contributed a definative account of the NSU Greeves in Mick Walkers new book, 'NSU: The Complete Story' (ISBN-10: 1847971482 .) Here's a link with more details;

Brian.

Comment

The same story was in Leading Link, of course, I wouldn't fall over yourself to buy the NSU book unless you're into them.

Or if you like color pictures of the bike get hold of RealClassic magazine #60.
                  If you're interested I'll tell you how.

Colin
                  Colin Sparrow

Comment

what its like to ride a griffon 380

interesting on board cam with the ambling sound of the griffon engine

Second checkout ride, at Milestone MX track in Riverside, Ca. 11/27/2010. Getting ready and familiar with the bike for the Catalina Grand Prix which has been...

then theres meee

Second checkout ride, at Milestone MX track in Riverside, Ca. 11/27/2010. Getting ready and familiar with the bike for the Catalina Grand Prix which has been...

the 250 is a sweeter machine though (i weigh 22 stone and yes the wheel was in the air !!)

A GREEVES I BROUGHT IN NEWTON ABBOT AND I PUT IT ON HERE RUNNING AS THE PERSON WHO SOLD IT TO ME WAS TOLD I BROKE THE BIKE AND SOLD IT IN BITS ! SO IF ANY OF...

then the tm400 suzuki cyclone
                    extreemly fast and powerband of a 500

BIKE I BROUGHT IN LOS ANGELES CALIFORNIA 2004

Comment

Working...
                    X