Got the engine need the frame and wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got the engine need the frame and wheels

I finally Identified my little two stroke engine as a JAP from a Hercules moped from around 1957/8. The Hercules Wolf was the first whole british moped. It also now seems to be the rarest! As a last resort just wondered if anyone here has come across/knows of a Hercules moped rolling frame anywhere. My last option would be to transplant it into another bike but its completely like no other small two stroke with the clutch and gearbox all in-line behind the barrel.(the little pulley wheel at the end is the final drive)
    Attached Files

Hi, I haven't seen anything like this before, does it have a proper gear box or some form of friction drive operated by the two cables on the left of the "transmission" housing?? Please tell us more..............starider

Comment

Originally posted by starider View Post
      Hi, I haven't seen anything like this before, does it have a proper gear box or some form of friction drive operated by the two cables on the left of the "transmission" housing?? Please tell us more..............starider
      Ive not looked at the clutch yet so not sure how it works lol.

The two cables coming out of the casing behind the carb are the clutch cable and the gear selector cable. The gearbox has a little window that you can look into once you take the brass-looking cover plate off. The engine is interesting, with the crankshaft running fore and aft; a pair of bevel gears turn the drive through 90° and then via a chain to the rear wheel. The gearbox is a Burman two speed. Everything seems to turn over fine (no spark though yet). I don't really want to take it apart until I have the frame etc. Although its beginning to look like its just going to be an after-dinner curiosity

Picture below shows what a complete bike looks like
      Attached Files
      Last edited by MarkM; 28/12/2017, 12:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X