HondaXR RFVC Ole Blue seats:)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HondaXR RFVC Ole Blue seats:)

HI all, its been awhile since I've been able to be on the site.

Years ago we bought a 1983 Honda XR250R RFVC...it was a sweet deal $100, the frame and plastics in excellent condition...the engine in boxes, thrown valve kissed the piston
    Thought what the heck, she'll go in the project corner and we will see what happens
    4-5 years later, got some parts, took it to a mechanic weve used a million times to have things checked out...some time went by, a messy divorce for him and the box with the major cam parts disappears, our loss

SO one day on ebay I see a complete running engine and its a good deal.

Get her in and fire it up....(Mind you all else completely gone through and rebuilt or replaced as far as brakes, bearings etc, carbs only cleaned) and it smokes like a freaking furnace. Pull it out...the piston rings are one size too small, though its got very little wear, looks like a new piston kit. Soo unfortunately the barrel is worn oddly and no good....even with a fresh bore you have to have a sleeve, right now theres not enough orders or need for a production run on the sleeve..

So a few days later I find a barrel on ebay...cheap too

So I send the entire top end, cam shaft etc to XR's only in CA as my Honda Mechanic said the worn cam journal on the head was "unfixable"....and the heads are a unicorn part.

Anyway, XR's only rebuilds the cam journal, said didn't have to file it down or anything, was a mild repair. Did my valves and I had noticed that the specs showed an oil hole in the camshaft where it rides that journal, but there wasn't one on my camshaft..had them add it. LOL he said my head was in awesome shape, actually wanted to buy it from me

They gave me a few pointers, use high quality oil, check and change it often, change cam chain every few seasons as there is no cam chain tension adjuster and no steady WOT like racing....says that's what killed them, they run hot, use the oil and don't hold much...that and the slack cam chain will quickly destroy the engine

So Dave and I hone the barrel, put the new rings (right size) on the piston and start taking measurements.....it was a miracle, all well within specs....we spent a week measuring a dozen times a day....could NOT believe it!

Finally got her all together, took me a few days of reading the plug and the ill manners to realize she was jetted way too lean...probably what caused the thrown valve previously. I got her dialed in at stock jets etc.

This bike is simply amazing and spot on....crazy torque and power, suspension is awesome, love the dial to soften or harden....I mean its just insane handling and power, not a single hiccup or bad manner....she is a trail chewer!

She does circles around my modern CRF150 with a hot cam and shaved head....and at her stock settings...amazing

I actually had to step up my work out to be able to start, handle and load her...taller, heavier and all around bigger bike for me, but very much so worth it!

She (Rosie) was to be Daves bike, but he was down with the flu when break in time came.....I basically refused to give her up....a few months later we got Dave an 85 XR350R RFVC

Our 2 main 4 stroke trail chewers. LOVE THESE BIKES!!

I'm on a new computer so I cant post pics at this time, but I will soon

Hi Tammy, how great to hear from you.

That Honda was a bit of a saga - as I was reading through your story of trials and tribulations I was hoping there would be a happy ending. Just don't fall off it and damage yourself again!

"Unicorn part" - now that's an expression I haven't come across before. So much more polite than the UK version: "rocking horse poo"...

Best wishes to Dave.
    Colin Sparrow

Comment

So great to hear from you Collin
      Dave says hi

We never dreamed the radial four valveā€™s and dual carb would be so perfect for the trails
      Honestly the frame and plastics and all else was in such good shape, we thought what the heck, we will tinker and learn and probably sell it....NO WAY

Knock on wood, no crashes for me in some time

Rosie has spoiled me now, lol bigger tires so that my Mad Maxine the MR175 really rattles my bones now, and my CRF with her small tires and low stance now feels like a midget bike and she too rattled the bones
      In fact Grizzy and the Greeves gals are a less brutal assault on the body than are those ole Elsinores and smaller tired bikes

So glad to post with you Collin, hope you are doing well and happy holidays

Comment

Working...
      X