No announcement yet.

Motorcycle Live

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seems as though the current market for these far out bikes are being dictated by the growing band of idle rich who think nothing of spending £10k on a weekend toy. Motorcycles are no longer a method of transport as they were in the 1950's & 60's when everyone started on a bike some not even getting to own a car in their lifetime, how the world has changed. Apart from a few 16 year olds riding 50cc twist & goes for a couple of years till they get a car licence bikes as a serious ride to work machine are a thing of the past. We keep hearing that the country is still in austerity with people struggling to pay their bills. but there are still households with 3 cars (or more) in the drive (or outside parked on the pavement So where are the poor? they have never had it so good.

Comment

John, £10k for a weekend toy? You are way behind. The Ducati V4 Speciale is £35k and they have stopped taking orders, the " ordinary " V4 is £20-24K and I know of a dealer with orders for 50. £10K won't even buy a Yamaha TMax scooter!!
      I went to the show last Tuesday and was distinctly underwhelmed. I worked at over 20 shows in the 80s and 90s and saw them when there was a lot more Glam and Glitter, pizzazz, enthusiasm, call it what you will. Has anyone ever seen a Brough or even a Norton on the road? More chance of seeing a Greeves
      Dogsbody

Comment

One thing that really struck me was that there where hardly any youngsters walking around looking at the bikes at the show - it really saddened me. Back in the day I used to love going to the shows with my mates (even though we had a cat in hells chance of buying a bike), the 'clientele' at the show were mainly 40-50 year old male belstaff wearing types. Looks like the industry has become gentrified to me. I guess that the old maxim 'see a need, fill a need' fits, and those with the cash are the cash-rich middle classes who have a good job with surplus cash to spend

Comment

Youngsters not interested in motor bikes any more, apart from it costing as much if not more to get a bike driving licence than for an HGV or PSV, bikes are not 'cool' these days, & they only ride a twist and go till they can get a car licence. Point taken dogsbody re bike prices, just quoting the figure for the CCM. Just ads more weight to my point. Toys for the megga rich to pose with at track days.

Comment

Looking at an Insurance company " saving ", I noticed that it was based on an average customer aged 55 years old, two bikes, ........etc etc. There are very few teenagers learning or needing to commute to work.When I grew up in the 60s there were lots of lads who rode their bike to work, it was their only transport. A big bike was a 650, most of my mates had 350 or 500s, I had a 350 Velo. Now a 650 is a lightweight suitable for a novice, proper bikes are 1000 upwards according to the " Journalists ", needing to be able to wheelie in 3rd or 4th gear and having several traction modes, anti slip, ABS, and so on.
            Dogsbody

Comment

Working...
            X