TE Lighting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TE Lighting

I'd like to get some lights on the bike but I'm a complete novice with electrics. The bike has a socket in place (32a engine) but I don't know if the lighting coils work. Is it a simple job wiring up some lights and if so are there any plans/diagrams out there/available I could use (ive looked in all my handbooks and workshop guides but none show the lighting wiring configuration). Failing that can anyone recommend someone whizz who could sort them out for me (at a price of course)

9E & 32A lighting

This has been covered before in this thread http://greeves-riders.org.uk/forums/...iring+diagrams
    Large pin is main output to lights & small pin to rectifier and battery if fitted.
    Hopefully you still have the lighting coils fitted (they were often removed by serious trials riders), a simple check with a meter will confirm. Note both pins a positive, earth is via frame & engine casing. Simple.

Comment

Thanks John, I don't feel confident doing this myself though. Can you recommend anyone??

Comment

No I dont know anyone in Warwickhire, (I live near Cambridge, Cambs) but I would have thought any competent auto electrician could wire it for you. The lights on the trials bike were supplied as a set with wiring and the plug to go into crank case socket. Obviously these are rare these days but a modern set could be made up using the diagram.

Comment

Usual advice about earthing components......Make sure everything is earthed back to a good point that can be reached and cleaned when required. DO NOT rely on earthing via the head bearings, but run a thick wire from the front lights to the battery area or a chosen earthing point. Scrap old cylindrical fuses and use modern blade ones in a waterproof holder.

Comment

Lighting

The lighting isn’t hard to do , I’ve fitted lights to my Greeves,which has a 225cc Villiers Ih engine with similar wiring output to your bike.
            Take the tank off.
            Buy a small reel of wire,Halfords sell them.
            Run one wire from engine to rear of bike, one from engine to front of bike.
            Fix wires loosely to frame with cable ties.
            Join both these wires together at the engine end and fit a switch, connect a wire from the other end of the switch to the output from the lighting coil.
            You then connect your rear light and front light to the wires at each end of the bike.
            That’s the most basic set up.
            If you want dip/main beam then the front lighting wire has to go to a dip/main switch on the handlebar, then wires from that switch to the dip and main headlight bulb.
            If you want a brake light then you have to decide if you want it to operate all the time(a good idea) or just when the light switch is on.
            If all the time then run a wire from the generator side of the light switch I.e the live feed to that switch.
            Run this wire along the frame to a brake light switch. Then onto the rear brake light.
            You can buy the pull operated brake light switch’s and everything you need off eBay.
            I hope this helps if you get stuck someone on this forum will help.
            Cheers
            Stevefromleicester

Comment

Working...
            X