No announcement yet.

No more MOTs for Pre-1960 vehicles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No problems with brakes on my 25DC mk2 East Coaster (alloy British Hubs) both locked up on brake test 100% efficient!!

Comment

The front brake on my Greeves is light years better then my G3LS.

Comment

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
        No problems with brakes on my 25DC mk2 East Coaster (alloy British Hubs) both locked up on brake test 100% efficient!!
        The 6" tin hubs take some locking up (except by rust!!!!)

Comment

A word of warning, just because a vehicle is exempt from an M.O.T. doesn't mean to say it hasn't to be roadworthy.... I have been running truck's for almost 20 year's that are exempt from testing and its nothing to do with age, current one is 1980, it's due to it being classed as display/educational.... However should I be pulled by the boy's in blue and the vehicle found to be faulty, they would come down on me harder than if it had been tested and developed a fault, as it is looked upon as "Abusing the privelege".....
          When it comes to taxing it, I have to download a form from directgov.co.uk, (don't think they're available anywhere else) fill it in and sign it which basically put's the onus on me.... I would imagine a similar form will come into being for motorcycles when it takes effect...... Some post offices can be a bit funny about these (Jobsworth????) and refuse to issue a licence, although the form is perfectly legit, answer is simply go to another, I know by now where to go in my area......

P.S the 25DD essex twin on e bay AKA as a Grumph now, is coming along nicely albeit a bit slow as my eldest has recently bought an old OSSA, the engine is beyond rescue so it's having a 3TA transplant and will be christened a TRISSA when finished, its just the shout's of DAAADDDD !!!!! from the bottom of the workshop that's slowing up the Grumph......
          Oh and by the way picked up a 63 Scottish a few week's ago for handy money, dismantled but reputed to be all there, it's been dumped at the back of the workshop still in the boxes it came in and sheeted up, I don't even want to think about it till I've got the Grumph finished......

Comment

I have received a letter released by the DVLA today (07/11/12) stating quite simply that with effect from 18th Nov, any vehicle registered before 1st January 1960 can be taxed without the need to produce a valid MOT.

This can be done on line or, if you wish to tax at a PO or DVLA office, you will also need to complete a V112 Exemption from MOT Testing form.

The only time you will need a valid MOT is if you wish to transfer a number (this is to ensure the vehicle actually exists!)

This is as we were lead to believe, it is just that the DVLA have actually confirmed it in writing. I would have attached the letter except that the file size is too big but I have posted it on the front page of the GRA website.

Rob

Comment

no mots

Hi Rob.

my bike is currently on a V5c as taxation class not licensed.

To get it on the road I need to fill in a form at local tax office to change to on road classic tax. (can you enlighten?) or then SORN if off road

Do they need evidence of road worthiness?

Regards Richard

Comment

Andy and John - its not the press, the letter is an announcement from the DVLA and is available on our front page.

Perhaps they just haven't told VOSA yet?!

Never mind, the last announcement said they were improving service by closing all of the local offices.........!!

Comment

Richard,

According to the letter, you will need to visit a DVLA local office (or use the post) and change to 'historic vehicle' taxation class. You will then need to complete a V112 MOT exemption form (assuming pre-01/01/60) to get a (free) tax disc.

From that point on, you will be able to tax on-line each year if you wish (and with no further need of a V112).

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by richg View Post
                    Hi Rob.

my bike is currently on a V5c as taxation class not licensed.

To get it on the road I need to fill in a form at local tax office to change to on road classic tax. (can you enlighten?) or then SORN if off road

Do they need evidence of road worthiness?

Regards Richard
                    Richard
                    If putting it on the road you need to up date the V5c to HISTORIC you can only do this at time of taxing. Just send old V5c to Swansea with amendment to taxation class. If you are not taxing it no need to SORN. If its made before 1960 you will not need an MoT if after 18th November.

Comment

I've just had a thought about running an MOT-less pre-60 bike.

Not that many years ago, a 'large government department', which did not need MOT's (govt exemption) was forever being pulled by the law and their number plate recognition kit for 'no MOT'. These were ordinary cars and they did not want attention drawn to them. Eventually, the solution arrived at was to get the lot MOT'd.

Unless things have changed (and I'd be delighted to hear if they have), this means that it could be possible for the little number plate recognition bell to ring every time we go past a patrol car! Ah ha, thinks the man in blue, time for a roadside 'safety check'!

There is also the VOSA roadside 'pit-stops' who could sit up and take notice.

I rather feel the pre-60 vehicle fraternity will need to be squeeky, squeeky clean as there is bound to be some 'statistics' gathered somewhere, somehow (unless some politicians have vested interests to ensure it is a success...!!)

So how about if you get a 'voluntary' MOT? Will this be recorded in the normal way and will this prevent you being 'noticed'? I'm just going to have a chat with an MOT chap I know to see what he knows.

Comment

Without wishing to sound gloomy, i think within our lifetimes, most of the uk will have been carved up into low emission zones, rendering all vehicles without the necessary euro emisions catagory, useless.
                        Thats the way all this european legislation is leading towards... dave.

Comment

Checked with my MOT man today. He had received a message on his MOT computer outlining the new rules. If you wish to have an MOT as per usual, then that can be done, as with any other vehicle.

I rather think this may be the path to take.

Looks like 'they' have left it a bit late getting the details out!

Comment

Although I take pride in my spannering I think I will still have an MOT,a second opinion is useful.

Comment

Mot's

just read this thread as I just had the tax reminder from you know who which stated that my 2 1959 bikes need an Mot? I have written to you know who and awaiting a reply not holding my breath. Just to say what interesting and wise council the GRA members are,I see the point of view of the responsible people but obviously the less scrupulous will take advantage sad to say. Thanks.

Comment

No MOT.

I have recently taxed my 1961 32DC on line,it is not MOTed as I have taken to riding another,I was expecting to SORN it but as it did not demand a MOT.I assume it is taxed. Any thoughts on this please. Should I ride it would it ping up on ANPR.?

Comment

Working...
                                X