villiers 2T issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mikerwt View Post
    the story so far is crank returned to V/S and they could find no fault fair nuff. so I have reassembled the engine carefully ! and noticed clutch springs were not all the same length so got new set engine back in frame and need the motivation to finish off, unfortunately a new project is on the bench ,and I am still baffled by the 2T Steve from V/S recons it is ignition and nothing else so i'v just had a nice wild goose chase. Spoke to Boyer's and Rex alectrical but they cannot help with an alternative ignition Rex Caunt Racing used to offer a 2T conversion but that is no longer available so to eliminate the stator I in tend to try battery to coil and see what happens wish me luck.
    Mike dont go 'chasing rainbows', you need to get it working on the original system. Coil ignition is a no no as will take extra amps out of a system it was not designed for so the battery will not get sufficient charge.
    OK you now know the mechanical side is ok, & presumably you have had the flywheel re-magnatised (I think you may have mentioned this in a previous post)
    So it must be points, condensers or coils. The points themselves do not usually give problems but make sure they have correct gaps & the timing is right on both cylinders. Villiers points can be individually adjusted to set timing on each cylinder. Replace (from VS) the condensers (if you have not already done so) Lastly the coils, if these are the original bakerlight Villiers units they could well be suss. Replace them with two Japanese coils like these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-YZ4...item2c9a800b18
    Lastly ensure that all connections are good at the multi pin plug/socket on engine casing.

Comment

A conversion for 2T to battery coil by Bill Drummond

Mike should you, after pursuing all other avenues still wish to convert to battery coil it can apparently be done as per this article by well respected GRA member & British Two Stroke clubman Bill Drummond, a qualified electrical engineer. Bill is a forum member under his own name (Bill Drummond)

It is quite involved & still puts the charging side at its extreme limit. If the battery does go flat you then have no ignition.
      Last edited by John Wakefield; 30/08/2015, 10:48 AM.

Comment

2t issues

Just got to this reply what a star you are John for finding this report it is brilliant and answers my main issues so I can run the engine without the primary coils in circuit this will isolate them completely so if I have a fault else were it will be a process of elimination. Thanks once again Mike

Comment

2T issues

well the saga progresses I have now had both ignition coils (stator ones) rewound by Westcountry windings at a very reasonable £78.60 the pair they look excellent just got a little soldering to do as recommended by John renew all the old stator wiring . but then you find you haven't got all the right colours so shepton here I come.

Comment

Originally posted by mikerwt View Post
            well the saga progresses I have now had both ignition coils (stator ones) rewound by Westcountry windings at a very reasonable £78.60 the pair they look excellent just got a little soldering to do as recommended by John renew all the old stator wiring . but then you find you haven't got all the right colours so shepton here I come.
            Renewing the low tension (stator coils) sounds a bit drastic Mike, I cant recall that I recommended you to do that. It was the high tension coils (under the tank) that I suggested you change to the small Japanese type readily & cheaply available on eBay etc. Low tension coils unless visibly damaged dont tend to give problems & can easily be tested with a multimeter. Its the HT coils that break down under load. Looks like you have incurred some unnecessary expense in having them re wound.

Comment

2T issues

You are quite right it was VS that suggested it was one of the l/t coils playing up as I already have new jap coils points and condencers as supplied by V/s, and as I have gone to the lengths of sending crank back for testing it all points to electrics. What you suggested was to renew the wiring on the stator which is were I am at the moment , just got to get some more wire of the right colour as I do not want to mix colours as this will cause major issues in the future. So thanks for all the help I will let you know how I progress cheers Mike

Comment

Also make sure there are good connections at the multi pin plug & socket on engine casing. A bad connection here would cause this sort of fault.

Comment

2T issues

Thanks for that advice I can confirm that these connections are all new.

Comment

Working...
                  X