Terminological Inexactitude....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terminological Inexactitude....

Page 9 of the current Leading Link has a photo of the Team line-up outside the premises of Comerfords, the SW London dealers. The caption is obviously incorrect in that it should say the 1963 SSDT Team, rather than ISDT Team.
    For those not fully versed in the difference, the ISDT (now ISDE) was and is a more Enduro based event and the bike have to have lights. The SSDT is an Observed Trial held in Scotland where many riders will have wished that they had have fitted lights!
    I hope to be visiting the ISDE in France this year and will be taking photos with the "Vintage" event as my specialty. I don't expect to see many Greeves there unfortunately!

Comerfords Line Up

The rider 2nd from left is Roger Davy not Roger Davis. Still around and always at Kempton Park Jumbles, also still about is Peter (Jock Wilson)

Comment

Silver

Very sorry Roger but I did get your name wrong. Also Don Howlett is still with us & am in contact with him daily.
      John Burch.
      Last edited by SILVER; 06/09/2017, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Comerfords trials team 1963.

Hi, trying to trace the history of the Greeves 24 TE that I have recently purchased. From previous conversations I have found out that it was one of four supplied to Comerfords around the 4/4/1963. It was first registered 8540 PJ. Woundered if any of your friends recall this reg. no, old photo's etc. Any info would be greatly apreciated.
        Thanks Anzani man.

Comment

Originally posted by Anzani man View Post
          Hi, trying to trace the history of the Greeves 24 TE that I have recently purchased. From previous conversations I have found out that it was one of four supplied to Comerfords around the 4/4/1963. It was first registered 8540 PJ. Woundered if any of your friends recall this reg. no, old photo's etc. Any info would be greatly apreciated.
          Thanks Anzani man.
          Anzani man
          My advice is to send an email to Mike Worthington-Williams for him to include in his 'Feedback' column in Old Bike Mart. It will reach far more people than on this web site or for that matter in the GRA. If there is anyone out there who knows about your bike that should find them. Dont forget to send in some pics of the bike. Mike's email address is worthycomments@btconnect.com

Comment

Talking of Comerfords and the SSDT, I have a TES that was supplied to the firm on 18/04/63, one of 5 supplied with sequential frame numbers. This bike was ridden in the SSDT by John Goodchild. It is said he had trouble on Rannoch Moor but was helped out of the problem by Bert Thorn so there was some sort of Comerfords connection. However, the bike was not registered until 14/05/6, the trial having finished on 11/05/63. It became 5410 PH but spent some time in later life as FSK 601, an age related number. Once I bought the bike, I managed, with some help from Mike Worthington-Williams, to get the original number re-instated.

John was not a member of the official Comerfords team so could he have been a supported rider of some sort? I have not yet found a 1963 programme to check on an entry list to even prove anyone of that name was even riding in the trial.

Any history I manage to dig out will help to complete the bike's history.

Comment

Comerfords being a sporting dealer sold a lot of trials bikes, (including Greeves) their salesmen Bert Thorn a Don Howlett (to name just two) were active successful trials riders and the shop was popular with clubmen riders, I remember going from Cambridge back in 1969 to buy a secondhand Bultaco (BVC450D) that had been ridden by Bert Thorn. A well sorted bike. I think a lot of the bikes were initially registered by the firm & then ridden by the likes of Bert & Don, when a new model came out they were sold off in the shop, where they were a popular buy for clubmen having been well sorted and maintained. Comerfords probably had the biggest selection of used trials bikes than any other UK dealer.
              I would think that 8450PJ could well have been one of these, rather than a specific works bike.

Comment

Working...
              X