No announcement yet.

Griffon 380 1973

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Dave - looks very good progess - and that header pipe looks mint !!

Not sure on the original footpeg springs - a lot of guys have replaced with new footpegs ........Might want to check with Terry Sewell TDS - or Kenny Sykes in US for sure would have some . Another trick folks do is to put new serated plates around the foptpegs to beef them up - one thing i have done on my 250 but also need to do on my QUB as they are getting worn and boots slip off in heat of action.....
    Cheers Kim

Comment

Originally posted by Kim275 View Post
      Hi Dave - looks very good progess - and that header pipe looks mint !!

Not sure on the original footpeg springs - a lot of guys have replaced with new footpegs ........Might want to check with Terry Sewell TDS - or Kenny Sykes in US for sure would have some . Another trick folks do is to put new serated plates around the foptpegs to beef them up - one thing i have done on my 250 but also need to do on my QUB as they are getting worn and boots slip off in heat of action.....
      Cheers Kim
      Hi Kim, Sorry Dave for the thread jack but I am interested in changing the footrests on my 250. Is there a direct bolt on modern style for the Griffon? You can answer on my project thread so as not to detract from Dave's.

Comment

I will probably be seeing a wheel-builder friend net week and ask him as I need to check out a rim for a conical front wheel.

Comment

Hi, John - still on topic and hopefully of use to both projects
          Not aware of an easy bolt on option BUT there is a very good solution - which I did on my 250 Griff

My solution was a wrap around piece of stainless with serrations on top - tack welded round outside of existing foot rest.....emulates a typical modern MX footrest. I will see Richard on Sunday at MAylandsea - as he bought some off the shelf instead of making them and simply welded them on....
          Hopefully of help to both projects

Cheers Kim

Comment

Righto class - sit up straight and listen
            Thanks for the info Kim, Rob and JohnU.
            I widened my original pegs thanks to an American product from Works Connection. Called footpeg wideners. Find them on Ebay. $43 kiwi. Postage was nearly as expensive as item.
            Also to salivate, I have just finished painting my swing arm and other bits and pieces.
            Kenny Sykes has NOS footpeg springs and told me he also has late model QUB footpegs.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post
              I will probably be seeing a wheel-builder friend net week and ask him as I need to check out a rim for a conical front wheel.
              Hi Rob, thanks for the update. I bought an "Excel" rim off Ebay, but the holes are all opposite to the original 18" rear so any help will be appreciated..
              Also I have bought a fibreglass Silverstone seat from a guy called Vetromani on Ebay. He thinks he might have a fuel tank, but yet to hear from him.
              I think Greeves must have produced a "desert" tank for the US market.
              I am having trouble finding another in case mine doesnt scrub up too well.
              Guess I could scrub it up for show and have another for racing??

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Smith View Post
                Righto class - sit up straight and listen
                Thanks for the info Kim, Rob and JohnU.
                I widened my original pegs thanks to an American product from Works Connection. Called footpeg wideners. Find them on Ebay. $43 kiwi. Postage was nearly as expensive as item.
                Also to salivate, I have just finished painting my swing arm and other bits and pieces.
                Kenny Sykes has NOS footpeg springs and told me he also has late model QUB footpegs.
                nice one Dave - those are the fellas !

Comment

Originally posted by Kim275 View Post
                  Hi, John - still on topic and hopefully of use to both projects
                  Not aware of an easy bolt on option BUT there is a very good solution - which I did on my 250 Griff

My solution was a wrap around piece of stainless with serrations on top - tack welded round outside of existing foot rest.....emulates a typical modern MX footrest. I will see Richard on Sunday at MAylandsea - as he bought some off the shelf instead of making them and simply welded them on....
                  Hopefully of help to both projects

Cheers Kim
                  Great, thanks!

Comment

Here is a progress update on my 380 QUB. Still a long way to go, but chipping away slowly - a bit like the stuck piston I have been working on dislodging so I can get the barrel off and check out the bottom end!
                    Attached Files

Comment

Looks really good Dave

Comment

Originally posted by johnu View Post
                        Looks really good Dave
                        Thank you very much John. Slowly getting there - eh. Think I spend too much time in Canada

Comment

Update
                          Well I have most of the frame painted. Just the hubs to go. Figured I would paint the hubs and then dont have to spend hours polishing.
                          I have also managed to split the cases - well kind of. Have left side off now working on getting the crank out of right side.
                          Attached Files

Comment

crank bearing options

Is there a conversion for replacing the alloy cages and rollers in a 380 crank?
                            Just wondering if there is a modern alternative as I cannot find new alloy cages for sale.
                            And judging by the amount of rust etc I might have to get the crank re-chromed and honed to size.
                            Does anyone have the measurements?
                            Attached Files

Comment

Simon at Nametab will grind it and do a needle roller conversion. Dogsbody

Comment

QUB 380 update

I thought it was time to update the progress on my '73 QUB 380.
                                Now have the frame painted and covered in clearcoat to make it look all nice and shiny.
                                New shocks bought and added.
                                Although I notice that modern shocks have bigger diameter ends around the mounting eyes which leaves bugger-all clearance with the frame.
                                The Cerianis have been assembled and installed.
                                The hubs have been blasted, painted and top coated.
                                Collected the crankcases from the blaster.
                                Now waiting for parts from overseas to arrive so I can start on the engine and gearbox.
                                Then it will be full steam ahead

As a sub note - I cleaned an old tank, painted it, added new stickers to use on my '62 TES and in the process save the beautiful polished tank for show purposes only.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X