Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pathfinder Project

Hi all,

Just to let you know I am uploading some photo's of the ongoing rebuild.

Mike.
    Attached Files

Well done Mike, nice paint job, keep the Pathfinder flag flying

Colin

Comment

page 2 photo's

Mike.
      Attached Files

Comment

Photo's page 3 (not as good as the Sun's)

Mike.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by MikeV; 23/03/2015, 12:30 PM.

Comment

Photo's page 4

This is as things are at the moment and yes, I am going to attempt to carry out a wheel rebuild

Mike.
          Attached Files

Comment

update on pathfinder rebuild

While waiting for parts to be returned, attention was turned to the power unit.What surprise I got there!!! The gearbox mainshaft seemed to have to much endfloat, so the gearbox was stripped and the horrors I found seemed to be insurmountable at first. New mainshaft, outer bearing sleeve and rollers,inner bearing sleeve and rollers and the dreaded draw key were required.
            Somebody had decided to replace the roller bearings with ball bearing race's. this envolved modifying the r/h bearing outer sleeve to take a small ball bearing race, by hand with a rotory grind stone!, but worse was to come. The left hand sleeve had been removed and the machined hole was enlarged for a ball race with,that's right, a rotory stone again!!! Just top it all ,the mainshaft had been reduced in diameter to fit into the bearings by grinding down the bearing surfaces using a, wait for it, BENCH MOUNTED GRINDSTONE!!!!!!!
            At first I thought this might be imposible to overcome but , with the power of the internet I found a mainshaft and l/h bearing sleeve along with a draw key in America ( motorwest) and they were bought. The r/h bearing sleeve, rollers for left and right bearings and bearing thrust washer were obtained from RBO in Austria. Once the l/h bearing sleeve had arrived I then turned my attention to the left case. Armed with the bearing sleeve and case a visit was made to Merlyn/CRD engineering to talk about what could be done. They cleaned up the hole in the case and the machined a sleeve to fit and hold the bearing sleeve.
            Now all I have to do is rebuild it, hopefully with a new 5th gear pinion, if I can find one. Not had much luck in that area at the moment, so if anyone has a new/used 5th gear pinion for a pathfinder PLEASE let me know(24 teeth,diameter 52-53 mm)[there are 2 sizes for this gear]
            Now, for your delectation, here are some pic's, old on the left ,new on the right, in first 2 pic's.

Mike.
            Attached Files

Comment

pathfinder gearbox pinnions

Mike try to contact Chris Coldwell at 31 meadow head sheffield s87va on 07887369053 He had some pathfinder gears manufactured . I bought some of them and he might have some left.

Comment

Pathfinder 5th gear

Hi John,
                Been in touch with Chris Coldwell and he does have the 5th gear I need.
                Many thanks for the info', and it just goes to show the power of the GRA site and it's members when we chat to each other!
                Thanks again.
                Mike.
                PS . Why not get yourself upgraded to full member status.

Comment

A little bit more

As you can see, the progress of the rebuild has gone a lot further forward.I was hoping to get it compleated for Battlesbridge but the re-chromed parts have not yet come back. So I'm left to do some fiddleing with it.

Mike.
                  Attached Files

Comment

a bit more 2

More pic's
                    Front tyre now fitted but not pictured yet.
                    And ,yes, I did carry out the rebuild of the front wheel and got it straight!

Mike.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Coming along nicely, isn't it? Well done!
                      Colin Sparrow

Comment

Pathfinder Project Update

The Pathfinder has been reborn. See pic's.

2 jobs to do, engine vent pipes, should be arriving Monday and prop' stand to be remade ( not strong enough)
                        Has any one got working drawing No's GO 1794 and GO1795, if you have PM me.

Mike V.
                        Attached Files

Comment

clanmac

Hi Mike
                          busy with a pathfinder rebuild and wondered where you got the tank transfers. Did you have them made up for you ,or were they available at a supplier.?

Alasdair

Comment

Working...
                          X