Police bikes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Police bikes

Nice to see the pic of the two restored DF police bikes on the back page of LL
    These are two from a batch of four that went to City of London Police in 1968
    VJJ980G (24DF117) and VJJ982G (24DF119) were for a number of years in the ownership of former GRA member Roger Neal of Cambridge, Roger sold them in 2014 to classic bike dealer Peter Rosenthial (Petes Bikes) of Chatteris the son of Classic Motor Cycle columnist Richard Rosenthial. At this time both bikes were dismantled pending restoration. Peter in turn sold them onto Tony East in the IoM and from what we can see Tony has made an excellent job of them. Just one incorrect feature is the chromed Triumph style tank racks, the bikes did not have these when new, the studs in the tank held the handset mounting for the radio telephone. Presumably Tony has still to source and fit these along with the radio sets themselves.
    Of the other two bikes, VJJ979G (24DF116) has not been seen taxed since December 1983 & VJJ981G (24DF118) no longer exists, the alloy beam for this bike was 'recycled' by John Fryatt for a trials bike with a new number some years ago.
    Last edited by John Wakefield; 08/08/2017, 07:26 PM.

Police bike pics.

I have just had these two pics of VJJ980G & VJJ982G from 'editor' John. One is the one printed in LL. I am sure John will not mind me posting them here, What a superb restoration by Tony East
    Attached Files

Comment

Tony East does a good job. I was in his workshop chatting to him 2 years ago when one of these bikes was on the bench being restored. He likes his Greeves.

I will be visiting there again in a couple of weeks.

Comment

Where are the other two

VJJ981G frame No 24DF118 is showing on DVLA as a GREENES 'Not taxed for road use' This was last reported as just a beam with John Fryatt, has someone built it up as a bike?
        VJJ979G frame No 24DF116 is showing as untaxed since 01 December 1983

Comment

Working...
        X