Mod to fit japanese type ignition coils to roadsters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mod to fit japanese type ignition coils to roadsters

Having recently had an ignition fault on my 25DC East Coaster when one cylinder misfired especially when starting from cold. The problem seemed to be one of the original 40+ year old Villiers coils under the tank, a quick change of wiring to swop coils to opposite cylinders showed that one coil was faulty. I decided to fit a couple of Japanese type ignition coils I had in stock from a Yamaha T80 Townmate, but these small coils are a common type and are readily available from eBay and other sources for around £8 to £10.
    Firstly I made up an adapter plate that fitted to the existing coil bracket on the top tube, having bolted this in place I then mounted the coils which are a two bolt fixing. The Villiers coils have two connections on each coil, a positive & negative push on terminals. The Jap ones only have a positive in the form or a flying lead. So remove the exiting bullet connector and crimp/solder on a male spade terminal to mate with the Greeves wiring. The Jap coils earth through the body but just to make sure of a good earth, I made up to earthing tags to fit under mounting bolts to connect the Greeves earth return. Not really necessary but a back up in case of a poor earth through the frame.
    Just cut the HT leads to length & fit the plug caps, job done.
    See photo & drawing of bracket.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by John Wakefield; 22/07/2017, 06:55 PM.

Thanks John, having trouble with my East Coaster and this could be an answer.

Comment

4T coils

A nice neat job John, well done, have you been far on it since...John P

Comment

Only about 5 miles but seems OK, now runs on both cylinders all the time. check the faulty Villiers coil on a battery & no spark!!

Comment

Working...
        X