MX2 Challenger rebuild/race prep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MX2 Challenger rebuild/race prep

Ended up with this non-runner from Ebay after taking a chance and taking too many beers

The aim is to get it race fit and teach these "griffon boys" a thing or to in the Greeves Championship this year. (my son will be racing the QUB so officially I am not a "Griffon boy" for now)
    First job is to have a good look and check oils etc then try to start it and see how much work I have in front of me.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by griffon380; 24/01/2016, 09:18 AM.

Have had a really good look and bike has good compression and gears work so first big lucky break as both could have been in bad state.
    Bike has no spark so hopeful that its just the usual points/condenser issues that need fixed.
    Attached Files

Comment

Piston and bore look ok so will leave well alone as both main bearings feel good as well. Maybe take the head off and take a look after I get it running.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by griffon380; 24/01/2016, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Just found something a bit worrying.
        Look at the photo, someone else has obviously tried to fix the spark because this is what I found when I took the flywheel off. New parts and super clean. Flywheel nut was only finger tight as well.
        The really good news about this bike is that previously it has been very well looked after and maintained. Not one nut or bolt has rounded edges and fasteners that should be wired, have been wired. Properly.
        Handlebar and foot controls are all properly adjusted and biggest surprise of all is that a griffon clutch has been fitted which is a well known improvement in Greeves circles. So the sparking problem is a mystery.
        Attached Files

Comment

Finally found the spark problem.
          Apart from the positive wire being connected to the negative terminal on the coil and vice versa the wires themselves where well past their sell by date.
          What looked like a perfectly good wire on the outside was completely useless on the inside.

After I renewed all the wiring and fitted a fuel filter (inside of tank a complete mess) I was able to start the bike.
          Went for a practice and the bike went well so I then took it to the last race of the season last year.

What a great bike. Now off to the workshop for a full race prep for next season.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by griffon380; 24/01/2016, 10:43 AM.

Comment

Anyone want a pair of DOT shocks.
            Attached Files

Comment

This next post brings me up to date.

The bike has been stripped down. Wheel bearings have been changed and new tyres being fitted. I have decided to stick with the chrome rims as they are in really good condition. I was tempted to go for alloys to lighten the bike.
              All the cables have been checked and oiled.

Roger Innes has done a really good job on the fibreglass and the last picture is of them partially fitted.
              Attached Files

Comment

It Lives....!!!

Hi Craig, and Happy New Year to you and yours bud.

Great new thread mate, and what a cracking start to your latest project. Lookin' really good so far, and more to come I'm sure.

Good job you installed CCTV in your man cave though, otherwise that burglar (in pic three above) might have got away with it.......

By the way, while I'm at it....tidy your bl**dy room/cave up!!!!!

Brian.

Comment

Brian, its not untidy, its just too small

Happy new year my friend.

Comment

Wow Brian, you think that's untidy!? I thought it was very tidy, well it is compared to my place...

Comment

Spud basher at the ready.....

.....granted chaps.....in fact, compared to Rob's it looks like a 'clean room' at NASA....(unless Dicky's been out with the dusters again)....

bRiAn.

Comment

Right Brian,
                        Cleaning squad has been brought in.
                        Attached Files

Comment

The A-Team is in da house....

About time too...!! At least you've done it properly and got some decent expertise on the case Craig....

However...I hope you've warned them to be sure to sieve all debris and check it over with a metal detector before disposal.....there might be the odd clutch/frame/tank/gangle-pinion thristy adjuster amongst all the landfill....

bRiAn.

Comment

Don't loose yer bits.....

Craig...being as I mentioned the gangle-pinnion thristy adjuster in my last post, I thought I'd better add some additional info in case you hadn't come across one before.....although I must say I'd find that surprising knowing how many years you've been around Greeves.....

As most enthusiasts will know, it's the bit that attaches just below and to the the right of the dibbler trunnion. It's really important that its correctly located and adjusted though, because if not your crank wibbler won't function properly and you may have an "incident".....

...and to think that some people reckon I just make this stuff up....

bRiAn.
                            Last edited by Brian Thompson; 26/06/2017, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Great project Craig looking forward to your progress. I reckon you will really enjoy racing the challenger ... They handle well and well you just pin them flat out and see if u can slay a griffon !!! Which will happen unless of course you assemble the gangle pinnion thirsty adjuster wrong and it throws you on the first bend ... Take heed to Thommos wise council

Comment

Working...
                              X