Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks john.
    I need to fit a stand back on the TCS,
    Pain at a Trial always looking for a Tree !!!!
    I have the original one, made up for me by a GRA member 20 years ago,
    that fits between the engine plates. Need a new spring and maybe the curved flat plate. See online two sizes of spring. Where can I source these parts ????
    I noticed on the 63 TE20 ebay listing you posted John, the side stand sit outside the LH engine plate. Was this the correct fitting for the later models ????
    Do other members use the original side stand mounts, or add one to the swing arm somewhere.
    Thanks for the replies.

whitehillbillies

Comment

TE, TES and TFS had the side stand mounted on a threaded boss on the left side of the engine cradle. With earlier bikes it is quite easy to mount a proprietary side stand in the same way - just drill mounting-bolt-sized holes though each side of the engine cradle (clear of the engine, of course) and fit a tubular spacer between the two. Then you can bolt right through to mount the stand. Needs thinking out and adapting to get the right angles for the stand operation of course.

It's not difficult - I mean even I managed it on my 24TDS!
      Last edited by Colin Sparrow; 29/03/2016, 09:38 AM.
      Colin Sparrow

Comment

Thanks Colin,
        Where could I get the curved flat plate and spring, for the original fitting.
        Thought I only needed the spring, but cant find the curved part.

whitehillbillies

Comment

These are the 2 items you require.
          Attached Files

Comment

stand

thanks rob, i also needed that

Comment

Thanks Rob,
              you must have read my mine, I came on to ask if anyone had any measurements, and here it is.

whitehillbillies

Comment

well ongoing running problems is giving me the S***s.
                Never had this problem with the James trials with 197 6E motor.
                Running lean on long uphill climbs between sections.
                later appeared to be flooding.
                So began again,
                15 thou points.
                Timing, spot on 4.5mm
                Pulled carby off, S25/3.
                Bought 2 quid eye glass,
                Found 3 1/2 on the top of the needle. Running at 1.75
                Idle jet 35.
                Checked float by submerging in boiling water. No leaks, also checked spare brass and plastic ones. Both OK.
                Found No3 on the slide. so should run a little richer than a No4 ???? Needle out at 1.75
                140 main jet. ( changed to 135 to try and cure full throttle running rich )
                Idle screw 1 1/2 turns.
                What is the purpose of the cut away slot, on the slide. One has been widened ????
                The one on the right has no small lip pictured on the right of the slide, on the other two????
                One STD the other two No3 all measure up the same cut away.
                Old one shattered, from choke slide vibrating.
                Then I found this !!!!

whitehillbillies
                Attached Files
                Last edited by whitehillbillies; 02/04/2016, 08:06 AM.

Comment

The Tank liner is dissolving and letting go !!!!!!
                  Imaging that around the fuel tap, going up hill.

whitehillbillies
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by whitehillbillies View Post
                    well ongoing running problems is giving me the S***s.
                    Never had this problem with the James trials with 197 6E motor.
                    Running lean on long uphill climbs between sections.
                    later appeared to be flooding.
                    So began again,
                    15 thou points.
                    Timing, spot on 4.5mm
                    Pulled carby off, S25/3.
                    Bought 2 quid eye glass,
                    Found 3 1/2 on the top of the needle. Running at 1.75
                    Idle jet 35.
                    Checked float by submerging in boiling water. No leaks, also checked spare brass and plastic ones. Both OK.
                    Found No3 on the slide. so should run a little richer than a No4 ???? Needle out at 1.75
                    140 main jet. ( changed to 135 to try and cure full throttle running rich )
                    Idle screw 1 1/2 turns.
                    What is the purpose of the cut away slot, on the slide. One has been widened ????
                    The one on the right has no small lip pictured on the right of the slide, on the other two????
                    One STD the other two No3 all measure up the same cut away.
                    Old one shattered, from choke slide vibrating.
                    Then I found this !!!!

whitehillbillies
                    The small lip you refer to is for a throttle stop screw (only fitted in the S25/7 & S25/8 for mini car use) it has no effect on the carburation. As for the slot at the top of slide, that lines up with a corresponding slot in the carb body & provides air to the pilot jet for the idle speed, it should not effect the carburation mid to high range. Looks like someone has filed out the one with wide slot, so it may have some effect on the mixture as you come of idle, ie flat spot maybe, the slot should be narrow as the others so best to use one of those. Other than that it looks like the carb is OK. If as you said in a previous post the mixture is OK at low altitude & only plays up at high altitude then it looks like that's the problem (low oxygen).

Comment

The Tank liner is dissolving and letting go !!!!!!
                      Imaging that around the fuel tap, going up hill.

whitehillbillies
                      Looks like this may be the problem, this crap blocking the tap &/or getting into the carb jets & causing weak mixture.

Comment

Thanks John,
                        I have a throttle stop screw, but cannot remember If I drilled and tapped one, as it looks an original type.
                        The throttle slide out of the carby, is the one with the needle fitted, in the picture,with the correct size slot.
                        Did a plug chop, with the 135 main jet fitted.
                        Still running rich, the 130 improved slightly, but still 4st,ing a little in 4th gear, but my driveway is quite steep.
                        As I came up the second time, switching off the fuel, improved it 100%.
                        I have the long needle valve fitted. Wonder if I should fit the brass fork and shorter one, back in the carby body.
                        Or get a 125 main and put it in.
                        What should the measurement be between the bottom of the carby and the float ???? just in case it has to much fuel in the float bowl.

whitehillbillies

Comment

What should the measurement be between the bottom of the carby and the float ???? just in case it has to much fuel in the float bowl.
                          5mm this is fixed by the length of float needle, there is no adjustment

Comment

"The SSDT never went to heights of 500 to 600 metres, (1650 to 1980ft) the highest mountain in Scotland is Ben Nevis at 1343 ft (400 metres)"

The last time I climbed Ben Nevis it was 4406 ft high!

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzer View Post
                              "The SSDT never went to heights of 500 to 600 metres, (1650 to 1980ft) the highest mountain in Scotland is Ben Nevis at 1343 ft (400 metres)"

The last time I climbed Ben Nevis it was 4406 ft high!
                              You are quite right there Buzzer, its 1343 metres I took it off a map thinking it was in feet.

Comment

Gone metrical now mate!

Comment

Working...
                                X