Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CBG History etc.....

Originally posted by Colin Sparrow View Post
    Looks a bit like something Seasick Steve might have concocted...

Will the bones of any dog do, or does it have to be a JR?
    Well Colin.....Brontosaurus is the best stuff (*), but it needs a lot of digging so adapt, improvise and overcome I say....however, I draw the line at Poodle.....

But seriously......

Indeed, Seasick Steve has done a great job popularising these wonderful primitive (but not always...!! see pic 5 below...c'mon, how nice is that!!) instruments in recent years, but there's a rich and fascinating history going back to around 1840, the earliest known traces that have been found.

There are so many variations and types of instrument too, with the the Morris Minor Hubcap Banjo below being a great example, and one of the nicest builds I've seen of this type....and Seasick Steve also plays one of those of course.

I've attached a few other historical pics for interest, with a couple of the earliest lithos depicted by an artist called Edwin Forbes which he drew while recording the American Civil War as an artist/correspondent, dated from around the mid 1860's.

Great fun these things, and with a wonderful tradition and heritage. It's playable folk art.... How about a Greeves Logo'd version in Moorland Blue with some well chosen/adapted bike parts for hardware (control lever bridge maybe....) The sky (and your imagination and ingenuity) are the only limits with these instruments, and best of all the first rule of CBG's is...there are no rules....!!

Bilious Brian.

(*) ......and you can make a fossil record......groan.....
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Brian Thompson; 10/11/2018, 07:35 PM.

Comment

• Trust you, BT, to come up with something so wonderfully "off the wall". I never realised Seasick Steve's creation had an authentic basis in antiquity. Never stop learning, do we?

Looking forward to hearing how the dog-bowl special turns out.

BC, JRs have automatic clutches - especially when near a lady JR...
      Colin Sparrow

Comment

• Whoops! No offence intended.
        Colin Sparrow

Comment

Working...
        X