Colin's new book on Greeves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colin's new book on Greeves

I have just bought a copy of Colin's new book on Greeves - IT IS FANTASTIC !

book

Yes a very interesting publication, lots of useful info, but I thought a little expensive.

Comment

colins new bike on greeves

Excellent Colin, just completed the last chapter and put the dust cover back on ,will now have to start again at the front and read again !! is this an age related problem.? he he: thanks again for producing this great book

Comment

Book price

Originally posted by Phil Hyde
        Got mine through Amazon for 21 quid, pls 1.50 for p&p. Yes, it is a good book. Colin has filled in some of the gaps left by Rob & Mick. The addition of colour photos of recent restorations, and the modern format are really smart.
        There have been a couple of eBay sellers at £21, one was offering free delivery or collect at Argos. How can they get the price that low Colin? they must be buying them at around £15 maybe less, that must be below cost price!!

Comment

I really don't know, they must have negotiated their purchase from the publisher at a far lower price than I can get them for and they must be selling at a minimal profit. The power of big business I suppose. No wonder bookshops are being forced out of business.

My postage costs (UK) are £1.05 packaging, £3.80 postage (2nd class UK small parcel). That's without my time packing, addressing and taking to the post office. If I sold them for much less than I do at present, I'd be giving them away!

I intend to maintain a stock until April, so I can sell them at the AGM and at the early 2015 shows. Fortunately I can order in relatively small batches, I can't afford to tie up too much cash. I don't know how many have been sold all together; I suppose eventually the initial print run of 2000 will run out...

Of course if you buy from me you automatically get a signed copy, which of course doubles the value!
          Colin Sparrow

Comment

Hi Colin and John,

There are obviously a few tight wads in the GRA......

Surely it is nicer to buy a book directly from the man himself,
            rather than faceless big business Amazon or Argos or whoever?

Colin will never really recover the cost of his time and effort to
            write the book.

Martin

Comment

Well said Martin

Totally agree with that statement. Colin has published a cracking book in my opinion. I'd rather buy direct from the author aswell. People can be so penny pinching.....

Scotty

Comment

Originally posted by Colin Sparrow View Post
                I really don't know, they must have negotiated their purchase from the publisher at a far lower price than I can get them for and they must be selling at a minimal profit. The power of big business I suppose. No wonder bookshops are being forced out of business.

My postage costs (UK) are £1.05 packaging, £3.80 postage (2nd class UK small parcel). That's without my time packing, addressing and taking to the post office. If I sold them for much less than I do at present, I'd be giving them away!

I intend to maintain a stock until April, so I can sell them at the AGM and at the early 2015 shows. Fortunately I can order in relatively small batches, I can't afford to tie up too much cash. I don't know how many have been sold all together; I suppose eventually the initial print run of 2000 will run out...

Of course if you buy from me you automatically get a signed copy, which of course doubles the value!
                For your next book why not do an identification of all the Greeves models using factory photographs

Comment

Steady on lads, thanks for your support but keep it friendly. I'm well aware that market forces exist. Please note that I pointed out in LL that the book was available from Amazon and Argos.

You're quite right Martin, writing a book like that for a limited print run in a niche market is never going to be profitable for the author. Such is life.

I don't know if you've bought the book Stuart, but pretty much every Greeves model is illustrated in it. The publisher wanted lots of colour, which is why I had to source and photograph so many bikes.

And once again, thanks to all those who so willingly helped me with that.
                  Colin Sparrow

Comment

Just came across an ebay linked ad for colins book in ebook format, probably not favoured by some older members, but ideal for those on a budget or not wishing to have a hard copy, £15.59 from kobo books.

Comment

Didn't know they'd gone to eBook already. I'll be interested to hear how the photographs reproduce.

Don't really like eBooks myself, but that's just me...
                      Colin Sparrow

Comment

Steady on lads, thanks for your support but keep it friendly. I'm well aware that market forces exist. Please note that I pointed out in LL that the book was available from Amazon and Argos.

You're quite right Martin, writing a book like that for a limited print run in a niche market is never going to be profitable for the author. Such is life.

I don't know if you've bought the book Stuart, but pretty much every Greeves model is illustrated in it. The publisher wanted lots of colour, which is why I had to source and photograph so many bikes.

And once again, thanks to all those who so willingly helped me with that.
                        I have got your book and its excellent.The amount of research etc that you must have done is impressive.I always think that a non fiction book is very difficult to write as its open to all anoracs critism. I would like to see a mainly works picture book with the original text purely to help in restoring to original specification as after 60 years most bikes have been modified.It should be easier to research than your book I would think.Wether or not it would be commercial is another question.Its like the bike museum at Birmingham.Most of the bikes are not to original spec and people copy them.The restorers cannot know every model.

Comment

Hi Colin,

They are not quite as sharp as those in a book- though this does depend on your screen resolution (the higher the better) but they do look fine to me.

I'm an e-book fan and am currently enjoying reading your book on my laptop. It's very good, an excellent piece of work.

Regards,
                          David.

Didn't know they'd gone to eBook already. I'll be interested to hear how the photographs reproduce.

Don't really like eBooks myself, but that's just me...

Comment

Originally posted by Stuart Baskill View Post
                            I have got your book and its excellent.The amount of research etc that you must have done is impressive.I always think that a non fiction book is very difficult to write as its open to all anoracs critism. I would like to see a mainly works picture book with the original text purely to help in restoring to original specification as after 60 years most bikes have been modified.It should be easier to research than your book I would think.Wether or not it would be commercial is another question.Its like the bike museum at Birmingham.Most of the bikes are not to original spec and people copy them.The restorers cannot know every model.
                            Hi Stuart, the GRA has a big stock of original Greeves factory pics but even those are not necessarily correct. Many, if not all were factory publicity pictures and the final production bike could vary a bit.
                            I like the idea of a restorer's guide. Would need intense research but it would settle most arguments like"they never did that"! Most people just do not know what they did at Greeves. All the people who really know are unfortunately no longer with us. The book could be written with full details plus specs for all the parts and would probably have to be approved by a committee. I can't see it happening. I have seen so many wrong parts on Greeves road bikes over the years. Most guys are not bothered but some would like to see a definitive road bike book by model. I would love to have a go at it but I fear that too many opinions would make the task near impossible.
                            For example ... how many people REALLY know the details of the true Sports Twin silencer baffle .. it was modified by Greeves.

Us road riders are spread far and wide so we need a better means of communication. Any ideas?

Keith Bolas

Comment

As you say its impossible to be exactly correct but it could stop people wasting money on the obviously wrong parts.Email must be a good method of communication along with the forum. I spent about 30 years before I got the right exhaust for my 1956 20T and that was thanks to Dave Bradley.Original bikes are very rare.I thought a big picture book (A4?) and one picture per page would be great.A picture of each side of the bike.Even splitting it into separate books for road or trials or scramblers.Or years.Its a shame that the works info is not more easily available.Its a lot of work for one person to research.

Comment

Working...
                              X