Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green Frames

Hi All,

Does anyone have a reasonable approximation for the Green paint used on Challenger MX3 frames and the like? I need a frame powder coated in this colour, or at least something vaguely similar!

Cheers,
    Andrew

Greens For Greeves.

Hi Andy,

I'm not 100% sure on this, but I THINK the green colour you're refering to as found on some Challengers is known as 'Forest Green'. This is a lighter shade than the 'Hunting Green' used on 36MX4s et al. If anyone knows for sure please do chip in-it'd be great to nail this colour down once and for all too!

I reckon your best bet for a 'perfect' match would be to (as always) try and find a bit of the original paint somwhere on the frame if you can. Failing that, some restorers appear to use a similar green to that found on Pathfinders, which looks pretty close if perhaps a little bit darker (probably similar to 'Moorland Green' then....aaarrrgghhh etc!!! )

As far as suppliers go, for powder coating you could check out the following link and see if one of the RAL paint codes comes close;

Alternatively, RS Bike Paints list 'Mid Green' for Pathfinders. Here's a link;
    RS Bike Paint supply motorcycle & scooter paint for touch up, aerosol & spray gun use. Manufacturer colours matched, no paint code required - Honda Yamaha Ducati Kawasaki Triumph BMW Harley Suzuki Aprilia KTM Classic & Vintage

RS Bike Paint supply motorcycle & scooter paint for touch up, aerosol & spray gun use. Manufacturer colours matched, no paint code required - Honda Yamaha Ducati Kawasaki Triumph BMW Harley Suzuki Aprilia KTM Classic & Vintage

Finally, I've attached a few reference pics in the hope it will help you out a bit. The beautiful Pathfinder in the last pic belongs to Dave Pink, and as a fellow GRA member I'm sure he would be happy to pass on the paint code and supplier/powder coaters he used if you like the colour. Drop me a PM and I'll pass on his phone number. I'd also recommend having a look at Rarpos7's thread with pics of some of his very original machines, one of which has what looks like 'original' green frame paint. Here's a link-check out Post #3;
    Greeves scramblers, e.g. Hawkstone, Hawkstone Twin, MCS, MDS, ME, Challenger, Griffon, QUB Griffon.

Sorry I can't be more accurate on this for you Andy, but I hope this info gives you something to go on at least. Can anyone add any further info please?

Brian.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Brian Thompson; 21/10/2010, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the info!
      I hadn't realised all those greens were different!

Luckily, I've found a small trace of original paint on the forks, under the steering head bearings! Should be enough to get a reasonable match, and hopefully won't have faded. If I find a good match I'll post it on the forum.

Cheers,
      Andrew

Comment

Nice one Andy!

Hey, we haven't even got onto the reds, greys and all the metalics yet......And there's a few more blues, a yellow, and at least one type of silver....!

Plenty of scope for 'paint pergatory' yet then.....aaaarrrgghh etc!

Brian.

Comment

Dave Bickers On A Green Framed Challenger.

Hi again Andy,

I managed to dig out this colour pic from an old magazine of Dave Bickers on a green framed Challenger, if it's any use for additional reference. If anything, the frame paint on this one looks like an even darker green than some...!

I think it's probably fair to say that as with Moorland Blue, it could well be that there is no 'standard' version of this shade of green, and each batch differed slightly due to manufacturing methods at the time, as much as anything else. Good job you've at least managed to find that patch of original paint under the headstock to work from then!

Incidently, the pic is from the 1965 250cc British GP at Glastonbury. An excellent period DB image I reckon, and well worth posting for it's own sake, especially as it's in colour.

Brian.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Brian Thompson; 21/10/2010, 06:05 PM. Reason: Pic added.

Comment

DB pic

Hi Brian,

Many thanks for the pic, a nice one. That indeed is the green I'm after.

I had the priviledge of meeting Dave Bickers a few weeks ago on the Colombres rally in Spain, which he has done for the last couple of years.

Cheers,
            Andrew

Comment

DB.

Hi Andy,

Any excuse to post a cool pic of Dave Bickers! Glad it was well received and of some use.

I too had that priviledge at the 2009 Telford Off Road Show, and Dave was also kind enough to sign a pic I'd taken along (just in case!) Made my day that did, and what a charming and unassuming man he is. All the true legends are, in my experience.

I've attached another pic from that show (from one of my 'albums' on here), of Dave having a 'nose' around the jumble looking for Greeves bits along with the rest of us. That says it all for me...!

Brian.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Brian Thompson; 28/10/2010, 07:42 PM.

Comment

Hi Brian,

I will I had been more prepared! Just before I went to the rally in Spain, I received a copy of Carrick/Walker Greeves book. Its already signed by Alan Clough, but had I thought on, I could have had Dave autograph it too! Oh well, maybe next year......

As you say, he's such an approachable and unassuming chap. Many riders in off-road motorcycle sport seem to be like this, even in modern-day motocross and trials.

Cheers,
                Andrew

Comment

Challenger Green Frame

Originally posted by Andy Z View Post
                  Hi Brian,

Thanks for the info!
                  I hadn't realised all those greens were different!

Luckily, I've found a small trace of original paint on the forks, under the steering head bearings! Should be enough to get a reasonable match, and hopefully won't have faded. If I find a good match I'll post it on the forum.

Cheers,
                  Andrew
                  Hi All,

My powder coating is back now, and it all looks very nice! I settled on RAL 6002, which was the closest I could find to the tiny sample of old green. Its not spot-on, but not a bad match considerering the power coater had it in stock.

Cheers,
                  Andrew

Comment

Working...
                  X