paddle hubs first used ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• paddle hubs first used ?

Hi fellow Greeves people, as some may have noticed I have an advert wanting paddle hubs, these are for a 1958 hawkstone sas that at the moment is a pile of bits. A friend asked if indeed it would have had paddle hubs and what year they were introduced and I didn't have an answer.
    I have assumed that all hawkstone models would have had paddle hubs as standard fitment and they would have been an extra on other models, please shed some light on this someone.
    Thanks in advance, Stace.

Paddle Hubs

Originally posted by stace View Post
    paddle hubs and what year they were introduced ......
    I have assumed that all Hawkstone models would have had paddle hubs as standard fitment and they would have been an extra on other models, please shed some light on this someone.
    Thanks in advance, Stace.
    1958 I think, initially on works bikes (Stonebridge was using them in June 1958) but Bickers had standard hubs in April 58. (see pages 30-31 in C&W Greeves book)

Comment

The paddle hubs were first used on the 1958 ISDT bikes - the famous "LHK" machines. These prototype paddle hubs had thicker fins than the later production units. The objective was to stiffen the steel brake drum to reduce distortion, and also (in theory) to improve brake cooling.

250cc Hawkstones had them as standard. On the 197cc scramblers they were an optional extra. They soon became available as an extra on other models of course.

It's all "the book", folks...
      Colin Sparrow

Comment

Which book would that be Colin?

Comment

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
          1958 I think, initially on works bikes (Stonebridge was using them in June 1958) but Bickers had standard hubs in April 58. (see pages 30-31 in C&W Greeves book)
          I believe that they were introduced for production in 1959

Comment

The book

Originally posted by Colin Sparrow View Post
            The paddle hubs were first used on the 1958 ISDT bikes - the famous "LHK" machines. These prototype paddle hubs had thicker fins than the later production units. The objective was to stiffen the steel brake drum to reduce distortion, and also (in theory) to improve brake cooling.

250cc Hawkstones had them as standard. On the 197cc scramblers they were an optional extra. They soon became available as an extra on other models of course.

It's all "the book", folks...
            Christmas is on the way and so hopefully the book will be too. It will sure beat socks and a jar of pickled walnuts, the usual fare!

Comment

Originally posted by stace View Post
              Christmas is on the way and so hopefully the book will be too. It will sure beat socks and a jar of pickled walnuts, the usual fare!
              Its down to £19.72 with fee posting on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Greeves-Th...item35db36a62f

Comment

Paddle Hubs.

Originally posted by Stuart Baskill View Post
                I believe that they were introduced for production in 1959
                Hi Stuart,

Interestingly, the only drawings I have ever seen for the paddle hub shell assemblies give a date of 2/12/58 (see attached.)

Presumably, these are for the later 'production' units, which would seem to tally with your comment.

I've also attached a couple of extra pics for those new to Greeves who may not have seen these units before. As mentioned earlier, these were cast 'muffs' which were 'shrunk' onto standard British Hub Company 'tin' (steel) hubs in order to reduce deformation of the hub and aid heat dissipation, albeit at the cost of additional weight.

Apparently, Brian Stonebridge once said that he prefered the paddle hubs for hot/dry/hard conditions and the standard hubs for cold/wet/soft going.

A couple of years back, I actually saw some 'replica' alloy muffs that someone had cast, I'm guessing using an original pair as a pattern.....

Brian.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Brian Thompson; 26/10/2014, 03:16 PM. Reason: Pics attached.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Thompson View Post
                  Hi Stuart,

Interestingly, the only drawings I have ever seen for the paddle hub shell assemblies give a date of 2/12/58 (see attached.)

Presumably, these are for the later 'production' units, which would seem to tally with your comment.

I've also attached a couple of extra pics for those new to Greeves who may not have seen these units before. As mentioned earlier, these were cast 'muffs' which were 'shrunk' onto standard British Hub Company 'tin' (steel) hubs in order to reduce deformation of the hub and aid heat dissipation, albeit at the cost of additional weight.

Apparently, Brian Stonebridge once said that he prefered the paddle hubs for hot/dry/hard conditions and the standard hubs for cold/wet/soft going.

A couple of years back, I actually saw some 'replica' alloy muffs that someone had cast, I'm guessing using an original pair as a pattern.....

Brian.
                  The 1958 sales brochure shows the 20sa,24sa and 25sa with tin hubs.In 1959 they had paddle wheels and the rear chain oiler in the swinging arm as Tims 25sa has

Comment

Paddle Hubs.

Stuart, I was agreeing with you...the date on the drawings for the 'production' alloy muffs given as 2/12/58 seems to be in line with Greeves policy of announcing next years new models towards the end of the previous year, including those fitted with paddle hubs, hence 1959 models.

For all I know there may be earlier drawings for these parts....I had these to hand so thought I'd post 'em for additional info.

Brian.

Comment

Stuart, I was agreeing with you...the date on the drawings for the 'production' alloy muffs given as 2/12/58 seems to be in line with Greeves policy of announcing next years new models towards the end of the previous year, including those fitted with paddle hubs, hence 1959 models.

For all I know there may be earlier drawings for these parts....I had these to hand so thought I'd post 'em for additional info.

Brian.
                      Hi Brian,I wasn't disagreeing with you,just adding a bit more info

Comment

Paddle Hubs.

No worries Stuart, the more info the better eh...

Comment

No worries Stuart, the more info the better eh...
                          More info from the Greeves spare parts lists.1958 complete hub parts numbers 20TA 20TAS 20SA 20SAS 25SA Front hub complete M2/AW £7-10-0 Rear hub M5/BW for 20TA 20TAS £9-10-0 Rear hub M7/BW 20SA 20SAS 25SA £7-10-0 1959 lists Front M7C/AW £10 Rear M5/BW(Fin) £12 both finned hubs 20SAS front standard M2/AW 20SAS,24SAS front alloy finned brake M7C/AW 20SAS rear standard M7/BW 20SAS rear alloy finned brake M7/BW(Fin) finned hub. 24SAS rear alloy finned brake M7C/BW finned hub £12-10-0 1959 option for 25DB,24DB front alloy finned brake M/AW(Fin) £8-10-0 rear M/BW(Fin) finned hub complete £10-0-0 1959 20TA 20TAS 24TAS front M2/AW rear M5/BW

Comment

Working...
                          X