Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• griffon 380!!! help!!!

Right!
    completely restored this griffon! frame up!
    fully rebuilt engine and gearbox all new bearings, rollers seals and rings! Good compression, new electrex world ignition system (replaced the electrex kit it came with) timed to 3.5-3.4mm btdc. Fully rebuilt 34mm amal mk2 carb new jets; 320main, 40pilot, new slide 3 cut away, new needle and jet 107 and middle grove needle position. twinair preoiled filters and several millions of new spark plugs b8es, br8es, br7es, br8eix.

Anyone help with why it won't start?

Hi

Have you got a visible spark? Is the plug wet at all?

Regards

Scott

Comment

good question! there is a little bit on the plug and im getting the odd bang over a stroke or 2 but that's about it, not kean on the idea of bumping it even though it would potentially start and I could set up the carb air mixture it just locks up the back wheel when trying to bump if! I need a good long hill!

Comment

You could try reversing the wires to the ht coil.. It sometimes works..

I had a similar problem when I rebuilt my Challenger.. Once I got it going (bump start) and got the carb set up ok it starts well now.. They always start better once the motor has bedded in also..

Comment

A little bang is a good sign............
          Ignore all any of below if you have the knowledge..........

But one thing that is key to know is be careful with the Mk2 - as for a Mikuni - when you put the choke on use NO throttle - otherwise you flood.

Also Make sure you are winding up to just before TDC.

I normally get a couple of bangs before mine fires up .

Starting from scratch - I would remove plug and fully purge the crank
          make sure you have a really good spark and re-confirm it is happening at right time (3.5mm btdc is a good race setting - you may want to go 3mm to soften it off for easy first starting)

On the fuel side your carb settings look spot on ............just make sure you are getting good fuel flow into the carb from tank - i.e no blockage) and that the float height is set correctly

Good luck cheers Kim

Comment

found the problem thanks for the replies...
            really simple the cases needed drain just full of oil and petrol.
            running now!
            very happy man!
            Thanks David

Comment

Well Done!!

Great feeling when it starts after years of slumber...

Comment

Working...
              X