TDS specifics ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TDS specifics ?

Hi all, As a newcomer to greeves ownership & the GRA I am looking for help in identifying my machine and its originality. Frame was badly corroded on alloy section and after much wire brushing & rubbing down all that I can find is TDS/60 stamped vertically on headstock? Did this model have any identifying features? Engine is 9e But is 250cc. Can machine be traced back by engine number? Any help, leads or advice would be greatly appreciated. Pete.

Frame number should be stamped horizontally along casting where top tube goes in. TDS/60 is not the correct number it should start with 61/**** a 4 digit number ie 61/1300 being the first in the 24TDS series. Your frame looks a re stamp.
    The 60/ prefix would indicate a TCS are you sure your bike is a TDS, is it road registered if so what is reg number? Machine could only be traced on original engine number, yours looks to have had an engine change as it should be a 32A
    Last edited by John Wakefield; 28/09/2017, 08:35 PM.

Comment

Peter, assuming from your first post that you have joined the GRA, if you contact Rob Thornton on rob.thornton@btinternet.com you can request an upgrade so you can see the whole forum.

Welcome aboard, I hope you find the forum interesting and helpful.

If you quote the engine number we might at least be able to tell you what bike it was originally fitted to. If it was a Greeves. Outside chance, but you never know.
      Colin Sparrow

Comment

TDS specifics

Hi, Firstly, thanks for help so far. Engine plate states 9e serial number---------------664B 2630. The bore indicates that it is 250cc. Exhaust is scottish. Swing arm has inbuilt oiler. Footrests are sprung and welded to frame via small plates. Rear sprocket is 60t. Has very short front mudguard loop only 13 inches. Bike shows no sign of ever being on the road ie no lights.no speedo drive and no sign of ever having number plates fixed. As i said, frame was corroded & all that is visable of horizontal stamping is the very top of a few marks. The vertical stamping is much clearer & is TDS/60. I am wondering whether it may have been a factory development model of some sort?? I am thinking of attempting to get the bike on the road but am not sure how to go about dating it? Any help appreciated. Thanks. Pete.

Comment

Engine number 664B 2630 was one of a batch of 9E's supplied to Vernon Industries trading as Gordon Cars. So would have been fitted to some kind of 3 wheeler car, possibly an invalid carriage. So not original to the Greeves.

Comment

The club should be able to help you with the dating information you need in order to apply for a registration. We would need to inspect it.

The bike needs to be complete and capable of passing an MoT, so your first task before worrying about the paperwork is to get it to that point.
            Colin Sparrow

Comment

Originally posted by Colin Sparrow View Post
              The club should be able to help you with the dating information you need in order to apply for a registration. We would need to inspect it.

The bike needs to be complete and capable of passing an MoT, so your first task before worrying about the paperwork is to get it to that point.
              If it does not have a recognised Greeves frame number how can the club date it? This needs to be sorted now rather than after an expensive re build to find that it has to have a single vehicle approval, a DVSA issued 17 digit VIN number and a 'Q' plate. It may be better to obtain another frame with a correct number.
              Some pics of the bike would help try to identify it and if indeed the rest of the bike is correct, or just a collection of parts

Comment

I would hope a competent inspector would be able to identify the model simply by a careful examination of the actual bike.
                Colin Sparrow

Comment

Originally posted by Colin Sparrow View Post
                  I would hope a competent inspector would be able to identify the model simply by a careful examination of the actual bike.
                  Quite so Colin, but inspection needs to be done now before extra work/expense is put into it. As I understand it DVLA only need confirmation (from a club) that the bike is genuine, and its date of manufacture (hard to see how this can be obtained without a frame number). I dont think there is any requirement for it be in roadworthy condition. They just need to see that all the major parts are there. MoT is not required anyway on pre 1960 bikes & indeed pre 1978 as from next May.
                  I seem to recall many pictures of loosely assembled bikes in Mike Worthington-Williams 'Unearthed' column in OBM when he was a DVLA authenticator, where he had successfully obtained a V5c for the owner.
                  Last edited by John Wakefield; 01/10/2017, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X