No announcement yet.

325 East Coaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was going to use the one I had spare - they are used on all my other bikes which have electronic ignition fitted, which this doesn't.
    The two yellow wires connects to the output from the engine lighting coils and the red and black to positive and negative which goes to the battery?

Comment

You could probably use the regulator you have, but it will mean changing the wiring, as on the original system one lighting coil is connected all the time for daylight charge with the second one switched in to balance head light. Fitting the regulator you have would simplify the wiring and control battery charging better. The original system tends to over charge with no lights on, I switch pilot lights in to cut down the charge.

Comment

Tony

By convention the rectifier in your photo. The pair of yellow wires are the AC in with the red and black DC out.

Phil

Comment

So I would need to pick up all the output from the coils and direct it through the rectifier first, then direct to the battery and then the load from there. Not sure how easy that will be

Comment

I think if you connect the red & black wires from lighting coils to Maplin rectifier in my diagram to the yellow wires on your rectifier/regulator then the red & black (DC outputs to battery) wired in either poss or neg earth configuration. That means that the extra coil will still be switched in to balance the headlight via the switch.

Comment

Main stand bushes

I have the bushes for the right hand side as per photo, but nothing for the left - are there spacers/ washers or just bent out slightly and needs tightening in?

Comment

There is a frame spacer diagram in this thread http://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/for...ead.php?t=4816 (post 3 of 3)
                Looks like two spacers part No M2/X65 dimensions .750 o/d .430 i/d .250 long
                Last edited by John Wakefield; 05/10/2017, 05:37 PM.

Comment

The 6 wires that come out of the engine socket do not include a brown as per drawings, it has a yellow which somewhere hidden in the top of the battery box it must change to a different colour as there is no yellow running up or down the frame towards the switch.
                  Also there is red with white stripe, not mentioned on the schematic. Are there any other diagrams of wiring harnesses?

Comment

Originally posted by tony View Post
                    The 6 wires that come out of the engine socket do not include a brown as per drawings, it has a yellow which somewhere hidden in the top of the battery box it must change to a different colour as there is no yellow running up or down the frame towards the switch.
                    Also there is red with white stripe, not mentioned on the schematic. Are there any other diagrams of wiring harnesses?
                    Just ignore the actual colours Tony & wire according to the 25DB, 25DC and 32DC wiring diagram

Comment

yellow wire is brown wire?

I assume that the yellow wire is the same as the brown as it is in that position on the engine socket

Comment

Originally posted by tony View Post
                        I assume that the yellow wire is the same as the brown as it is in that position on the engine socket

Looks like Greeves ran out of Brown wire

Comment

Progress??

The headlamp switch is definitely wired as per 25DC and 25DD MK2 (4T Engine East Coaster) and Essex diagram

However that diagram only has a 5 way connector and my one has a 6 way

The yellow being the extra one that goes to the negative side of the battery and up to terminal 1 on the switch

Therefore

Assuming that it was running then I can forget about the blue and green as they go to the coils.

The red and black go to the new rectifier (ac)

Purple definitely goes to 3 on the switch

and leave the yellow as it is - which becomes black to the battery negative and terminal 1 on the switch?

Comment

Try it and see, it should be OK. Just check that the charge rate is sufficient when lights are on, & you should get about 2 amp charge with them off.

Comment

I have found this diagram for a 2T engine (with 6 pin socket) as fitted to Fanny Barnett Cruiser 89. The bike wiring & switch is different from Greeves but it shows the connections back inside engine casing to the coils

Comment

Conclusion?

The wiring harness is that of a 25DC and 25DD MK2 (4T Engine East Coaster) and Essex.
                                Perhaps as the bike was to be an East Coster (although in fact a 32DD) they used existing East Coaster harnesses. This caused a slight difference as the 325 has a six way socket not 5, hence the wiring of the plug in a slightly different order. Maybe someone knows why the wiring was done this way?

Anyway off to Stafford tomorrow to look for a horn for it - anyone got a wind tone Mixo horn lurking in their shed

Comment

Working...
                                X