No announcement yet.

Griffon 380....or 360....or QUB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's the ones Brian. I've now changed the connectors so many times I've forgotten what the starting point was.

Comment

• I had one of those . Amazing that they sold them like that

Comment

• There you go paul, all up & running............

Comment

• It Lives....hahahahahaha

So the saga might just be coming to an end. After I've repeatedly failed to get the griffon started, Dr Higgins has given it some serious CPR and the venerable beast has coughed and splutter back to life after at least 17 years of cold storage. Turns out the professionally done engine rebuild was sub standard - the crank cases were not sealed properly so the bottom end was failing to hold pressure. I could have been trying to kick it over and bump start it for another 17 years before spotting this. My local bike emporium didn't spot it either so I'm not going to be too hard on myself.

I've taken the bike out for a trial run on a bit of waste ground and it goes like stink Can't wait to try it out properly at Maylandsea on 6th May - any of you chaps booked on?

I do need to replace the fork springs though. Can anyone suggest where I might get some for the cerianis. I've talked to Hagons, who couldn't help. They suggested Terry Sewell but he's not answering his phone (as usual) . less than 2 weeks until race day so if you can help it would be much appreciated.

Paul

Comment

• Originally posted by Soggy Welly View Post
            So the saga might just be coming to an end. After I've repeatedly failed to get the griffon started, Dr Higgins has given it some serious CPR and the venerable beast has coughed and splutter back to life after at least 17 years of cold storage. Turns out the professionally done engine rebuild was sub standard - the crank cases were not sealed properly so the bottom end was failing to hold pressure. I could have been trying to kick it over and bump start it for another 17 years before spotting this. My local bike emporium didn't spot it either so I'm not going to be too hard on myself.

I've taken the bike out for a trial run on a bit of waste ground and it goes like stink Can't wait to try it out properly at Maylandsea on 6th May - any of you chaps booked on?

I do need to replace the fork springs though. Can anyone suggest where I might get some for the cerianis. I've talked to Hagons, who couldn't help. They suggested Terry Sewell but he's not answering his phone (as usual) . less than 2 weeks until race day so if you can help it would be much appreciated.

Paul
            nice one Soggy great news see you at Maylandsea . You could try heavier weight oil as a short term measure
            Cheers Kim

Comment

• Or a couple of your legendary cable ties around the stanchions to stop the forks bottoming I'll ring around a few places tomorrow.

I'll be going down the night before in the motorhome so will have a few brewski's chilling in the fridge. Looking forward to meeting up again Kim.

Comment

• spark plug issues

Hi chaps, I've a general question re plugs but thought I'd include it in my project thread as it may relate to problems discussed previously.

The bike has recently developed a spluttering at low revs, and I assumed it was down to the original tank breaking down with modern fuel and a bit of crap blocking the pilot jets. The in-line fuel filter captures little flakes of crud after each race so this is cleaned regularly. the carb filter however was clean as a whistle and the jets and carb internals seem ok. So perhaps this isn't the problem - or is a problem but not the one causing spluttering.

So I took the plug out and there is an issue. see pic. the centre electrode has reduced in size to nothing more than a point plug is an NGK B8EGV and was new 3 meetings ago so hasn't had a long life. it also had some dry carbon deposits which brushed off easily. I've googled possible causes but seems to be some conflicting opinions out there.

Obviously I can replace the plug which will no doubt provide instant improvement, but any thoughts on why the plug had degraded so quickly would be appreciated.
                Attached Files

Comment

• Paul, is that the plug that came back with the bike after its holiday in somerset, if so, thats not the plug you bought, its a fine iridium tipped racing plug.........not that thing you fitted, which would be more at home in a suffolk colt.....................
                  It was an old one i was trying & probably the reason, it is breaking down.

Comment

• Yes it was the 'holiday' plug Dave. So it should have a much smaller tip, should it? I guess I've jumped to the wrong conclusion here. to be honest, I did look at the tip under a magnifier once cleaned and the surface seemed smooth and uniform, just much smaller than I expected. If it was eroding I would expect it to be rough and irregular. I know the pic isn't too clear but does it look small to you? Perhaps a clean up was all it needed. I'll kick her over and see how she runs.

Suffolk Colts are thoroughbred racers. Have you seen those nutters on the racing lawnmower circuit.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Briggs & stratton man meself..... going back to the plug, i don`t know the correct grade for a 380, but tds will, these are the plugs to use though, they don`t foul as easy & do the job.

Comment

• Thought I'd give you chaps a quick update on the Griffon project. Are these things ever actually finished?

I've thoroughly enjoyed the first half of my first Greeves Championship season on the bike and put some serious miles in travelling down to Essex every 3 weeks or so. Started badly though. Round 1 at Marks Tey, I did my usual low speed topple on a tight corner but no harm done...until someone smashed me in the back from behind. In a lot of pain but I really had to choke back the tears when I saw the scratch on the brand new Roger Ennis tank that I'd just fitted. Bugger! Incidentally, you guys were absolutely right, persevering with an original tank is daft. I used an in line fuel filter that collected a fair few small resin flakes from the original tank, but after a few months standing over winter, even with no fuel in it, the inside of the tank looked like someone had stuffed a crushed up poppadum inside. So a new tank and side panels were ordered and as has been said elsewhere, Roger does a fantastic job and in my view seriously undercharges for the quality of workmanship.

After my little off I was as sore as hell, and a week later the wife got so sick of me whining, she carted me off for an xray. Turns out I'd broken 2 ribs! Of course, the wife was full of compassion and sympathy....not. All I got was 'you're nothing but a big kid' and 'what if you can't work' and 'you won't be happy until you've killed yourself' etc etc. Thank Luv...

So I missed round 2 at Woodford as still a bit sore. From there all has been going well. I've done 4 more rounds and the 100 mile relay at Mortimer and the bike has been a joy.

I had a slight problem with the rear wheel bearings. I now know that the softer alloy of the hub eventually gives way to the steel of the bearing outer shell, and the bearing becomes a sloppy fit. I've been told that they all do that, and to a degree you can live with it. I put in a new bearing as a precaution and gave it a good squirt of bearing fit, and it is much improved. Hopefully it will get me to the end of the season and I'll look at having the hub reamed out a little to accept a slightly larger bearing.

The comedy kinked and lengthened swing arm that lowered the seat height as mentioned in previous posts has now been changed for a QUB version. Only problem is that the mounting points for the shocks are further back on the QUB to allow longer and slightly laid down shocks, as opposed to the more upright arrangement on the twin port. The net result being, I still had a lowered seat height. As Dave Harper has rightly pointed out, this changes the whole geometry of the bike, and will almost certainly adversely effect cornering. So Dave to the rescue, he has loaned me the shocks from his QUB. Once these were fitted, immediately the bike sits better. I'm amazed how much difference an inch and a half can make. (As the actress said to the bishop) .

I'll be at Woodford this coming Sunday, give it a good thrashing and hope for a better ride (As the actress said to the bishop)…Hope to see some of you there.

Paul
                        You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Working...
                        X