TFS Trail (2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TFS Trail (2)

I have just been for a 3 mile ride on the Trail, not quite as pretty as the one that has been completely rebuild however goes well. Apart from changing the seat to the one it has now and sticking on some old alloy guards it will stay as is. Actually looks nicer from distance (don't we all) the patina (rust and missing paint) is not so visible.

I am going to take this one to Kendal Classic (Sedbergh) for the trial

Kill switch

So, I have a red wire where I was going to put the kill switch wire,
    it disappears as shown in the second photo. What to do?

Comment

Just connect another wire to the red wire, & run it to the kill button, simple.

Comment

What is the red wire?

Comment

must be either the ignition coil wire or condenser.

Comment

Not the Condenser, and no coil.

Comment

Does not matter where the wire goes (the LT coil in the flywheel I would expect) & also connects to condenser (the yellow wire?) because shorting out the points will stop the engine

The easiest place to make the connection would be at the points, just solder or crimp a round tag to a wire, and attach it to the terminal on points (with red wire). Then just thread at back through the hole where the red wire exits casting & up to kill button on handlebar. Simple as that.
              Last edited by John Wakefield; 12/08/2016, 09:49 AM. Reason: more details added as to here to connect wire

Comment

Thanks Dave, you usually have to re-do what I have done

Comment

Nearly ready

Check out the new tyres Michelin AC10 road legal

close up

another 3 mile run with the new tyres, and 2 new bearings in the front, no expense spared
                  and the kill switch works

Comment

I bet that California plate would confuse the APR cameras
                    'off highway' so do bikes have to be registered even if not ridden on the road?
                    Last edited by John Wakefield; 12/08/2016, 09:00 PM.

Comment

If you are going off road then you need the permit, if you are on road it would be road registered -

"A Green Sticker is similar to highway registration except it allows California residents to operate their OHV off-highway on lands that are open and accessible to the public for OHV recreation. The sticker is affixed to the OHV. It is required for California vehicles that do not have highway registration. Currently, a Green Sticker costs $52 for each OHV and is valid for two years. Contact your local Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) office to purchase your Green Sticker. "
                      http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=26294

Comment

Interesting Tony, & we think UK laws are tough. Maybe one reason why bikes like the TFS Trail & Ranger did not see much use in the USA.
                        If this law was applied in UK I suppose it would mean that unregistered/unlicenced trials bikes used in trials on public land would need to be registered.
                        Last edited by John Wakefield; 13/08/2016, 10:30 AM.

Comment

Mot

Just got an MOT couple of advisories, front wheel has a slightly eccentric bead - what off road 21 inch hasn't .
                          Rear wheel alignment a tad off, part from that everything okay. Mind you I had put new brakes shoes on and new bearings in the front so not much else left
                          Got up to 50mph on the way back before I ran out of road (lane) with more left,
                          now that I have taken off the speedometer and binnacle and lightened the weight it will probably do the ton

Comment

Good blast

I put an Amal carburettor on yesterday and had a real blast on this Trail.
                            I have decided to keep it and will put the lights on as I have a head lamp (Miller).
                            I only need the air filter (sorted ) and I have all the other bits, speedometer, nacelle and toolbox ready to go on.

Comment

Gone green

Having a spare tin of green hammered Hammerite I decided to cover the rust on the frame.
                              From a distance it looks quite good, and once covered in Devon mud should be perfect.
                              Dave's excellent air filter now fitted and just the lights to sort out.

I made up the number plate holder and front light bracket, which do the job, enough said

I am going to try a voltage booster and see what happens, my neighbour who has been in the electronics business
                              for years said it is not an issue so worth trying for a couple of quid.
                              A lot cheaper than electronic ignition and it will then put some charge back into the battery.

Comment

Working...
                              X