Heavy Clutch Pull on 250 Griffon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heavy Clutch Pull on 250 Griffon

I was just wondering if the Griffon clutch typically needs Popeye sized forearms to be able to pull the lever in? Mine is a very heavy pull.

The clutch pull was very heavy when new. I bought a 250 in 1969 and could not believe the clutch operation. I was at a race and Gary Bailey was selling special (teflon lined?) cables.

Dean Newton
    Seattle, WA USA

Comment

I think there's a thread on here on this topic suggesting various remedies.
      Colin Sparrow

Comment

Hi,
        Kim275 has a great way of fixing the problem. It works as I felt his clutch at Maylandsea race this year and it was just as light as mine after I spent a lot of money installing a NEB clutch which is the other way to fix the problem.
        Also, if Mr Nunn sets your gearbox up you only need the clutch for the start as you can change gears without it.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin Sparrow View Post
          I think there's a thread on here on this topic suggesting various remedies.
          Ok thanks i will do a search!

Comment

Originally posted by griffon380 View Post
            Hi,
            Kim275 has a great way of fixing the problem. It works as I felt his clutch at Maylandsea race this year and it was just as light as mine after I spent a lot of money installing a NEB clutch which is the other way to fix the problem.
            Also, if Mr Nunn sets your gearbox up you only need the clutch for the start as you can change gears without it.
            I haven't ridden the bike yet but I wasn't planning to use the clutch much after the start aside from a little bit of slipping when needed....maybe that's wishful thinking! So what did Kim do to his clutch?

Comment

Hi,
              The trick is to adjust the clutch so that the arm on the gear box is at its outer limit. Then do the usual things like oil and route the cable properly. I have found that using modern levers on the bars helps if you pick ones with a better lever arm effect. I started with the steel replica levers but quickly changed.

Craig

Comment

Thanks Craig, my original plan was to use modern bars and levers but I decided to use the originals in the end. Maybe I will revert to the original plan.

Comment

Get a teflon lined cable, and some of these:
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Z View Post
                    Will do

Comment

Ground control to Major Thommo....

Originally posted by Andy Z View Post
                      Ahh...yes! The old Double-Handled Twin Lever Kung Fu Implement set-up....(copyright c'bros) Good kit! I have a pair of these on my emu riding harness Andy, and they really help reign-in Boris when he's caught a wiff of Rob and Dickies bangers being cremated in the GRA Hospitality Unit.....

bRiAn.

Comment

Clutch Lightener Mod.

Hi Johnu,

Silly banter aside, I've been having a nose about and here's one thread with some relevant info that may be of use.

Greeves trials models, e.g. Scottish, Scottish Twin, Anglian, Pathfinder, Wessex, Scottish Special, ISDT machines.

I'll have another look and see what else I can find on here for you.

Brian.

Comment

Griffon Clutch Mod.

Here you go Johnu......this is the one!

Greeves scramblers, e.g. Hawkstone, Hawkstone Twin, MCS, MDS, ME, Challenger, Griffon, QUB Griffon.

As posted by my fellow chuckle bro and erstwhile emu botherer Mr Higgins.

Hope it helps!

Brian.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Thompson View Post
                            Here you go Johnu......this is the one!

Greeves scramblers, e.g. Hawkstone, Hawkstone Twin, MCS, MDS, ME, Challenger, Griffon, QUB Griffon.

As posted by my fellow chuckle bro and erstwhile emu botherer Mr Higgins.

Hope it helps!

Brian.
                            Thank you that is perfect, i'm a mechanical designer by trade I should have thought of this mod

Comment

Originally posted by andy z View Post
                              get a teflon lined cable, and some of these: :d:d
                              :d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d

Comment

Working...
                              X