Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'Shoestring Sport' (DR's Trials Tips) Article - Motorcycle Mechanics, January 1966.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Shoestring Sport' (DR's Trials Tips) Article - Motorcycle Mechanics, January 1966.

Here's another article from my files, with our very own Don 'DR' Smith passing on some handy tips for trials riding techniques.

Some nice contemporary Greeves trials bikes pictured as well (DR's Anglian and a '63 TES.)

Brian T.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Brian Thompson; 12/01/2014, 04:40 PM. Reason: Pics attached.

No interest here either then....?

....despite 28 views so far.....

No interest, no discussion......

It's my aftershave.....definitely.

I'll get me coat....

Brian T.
    Last edited by Brian Thompson; 12/01/2014, 10:21 PM. Reason: More words.

Comment

good stuff

Brian, I think these postings are useful. As I said before I bought Motor Cycle maniacs first time round. One of the really useful aspects is the period mods, especially on the Don Smith bikes.

Phil

Comment

Trying to drum up a bit of interest.....

Originally posted by Phil Hyde View Post
        Brian, I think these postings are useful. As I said before I bought Motor Cycle maniacs first time round. One of the really useful aspects is the period mods, especially on the Don Smith bikes.

Phil
        Phil, I completely agree, which of course is why I post them. That, and the hope that they generate a bit of discussion. The number of views since yesterday shows people are looking, but they don't seem have anything to say....

But didn't you remove all your Triumph Greeves posts due to 'lack of response/interest', as well as the somewhat negative comments from a certain quarter....? (You'll remember my enthusiastic support and contributions for that section of the forum when we set it up, I'm sure. )

So far I haven't removed any of mine..........so far.....

Brian T.
        Last edited by Brian Thompson; 13/01/2014, 08:23 AM. Reason: More words.

Comment

One of the problems is that the only persons likely to comment on these postings is a person actually engaged in current work. Most of us will copy and file these for future reference. The fact that at screen size they are hard to read does limit the "instant" wow factor.
          Most of us are interested in these old articles, but to expect heaps of praise is stretching things a bit. In general, we thank you and others for such postings.

Comment

Really....?

Originally posted by Brian Catt View Post
            .....but to expect heaps of praise is stretching things a bit.
            Who said anything about 'expecting heaps of praise' Brian......????

A modicum of appreciation, maybe, for members who do try and post useful/interesting items....that's just good manners isn't it....???

Please don't try and put words in my mouth that I haven't said.

Brian T.

Comment

Brian, in using that term, I was expressing a generality rather than "putting words into your mouth". I have posted articles and photos onto this Forum that I find of interest, and maybe one or two others will, it does not worry me that there is little or no feedback on these. If there is, all well and good, if not I will lose no sleep on it and go on to the next subject. I will again thank you for your submissions, I'm sure many find them interesting and I hope you will continue to post your findings.

Comment

Personally, I love all these old magazine articles, especially if they have any hints and tips regarding our bikes. As far as I am concerned, please post as many as you can find, I for one will be eternally grateful!

Many thanks,
                Andrew

Comment

I agree with Andrew, all these old articles are a brilliant read.
                  Although as (a young ) & a complete duffer on a trials bike, I used to read all the 'hints & tips' written by the greats of the day hoping for a 'magic' sentence that would make me better on a bike, sadly I soon realised that my short legs and lack of balance were my downfall ( that's my excuse anyway)
                  All very nostalgic I know, but I reckon the magazines and motorcycle press of yesterday had so much more quality content than the present day crop.

Colin

Comment

No interest here either then....?

Originally posted by Brian Thompson View Post
                    ....despite 28 views so far.....

No interest, no discussion......

It's my aftershave.....definitely.

I'll get me coat....

Brian T.
                    Hi Brian…
                    Can I say that I for one really appreciate all the information, help, and support, plus all the tips yourself and fellow GRA members kindly publish for all fellow members across the board to access.
                    I will put my hand up and confess that I am one of those members until now has failed to thank you for all the hard work, loyalty, and enthusiasm yourself and other regular donators always show.
                    I am and will always be very grateful for any material submitted, be it for road, trials or scramble machines. Personally it always makes very good and interesting reading.
                    Also it gives the less knowledgeable among us a chance to learn more about the Greeves motorcycles & their history.
                    Hopefully when I get things moving and into my MDS restoration I may have something to discuss on the forum.
                    In the meantime please accept my apologies and thank you all once again for all the wonderful work and material provided.
                    Regards
                    Sean
                    Last edited by Sean Bowers; 16/01/2014, 12:54 AM.

Comment

Sean - Good luck with your MDS resto and Brian.....

Keep the articles coming they are fascinating as well as informative ....Interesting that they put Bultaco and Greeves as the top popular makes of the day - and no doubt correct - but interesting that that is not reflected in the ratio of classic trials competition bikes today .......I understand only too well why this happened in classic scrambles - but not in Trials - is it fashion or nostalgia or trick bikes? - can any of our trials experts explain this ?- Cheers Kim
                      Last edited by Kim275; 13/01/2014, 10:51 PM.

Comment

Hi kim, i`m no expert! ( as you know ), but did i not read on here not so many moons ago, that the greeves t/bikes were not as popular today, due to the amount of work required to make the steering more compatible with the other trick bikes out there, ie ( alloy beam ).
                        I think in the same thread, the l/link forks were also given the last rights in the performance ratings.
                        I expect someone will post this thread up....

Comment

Dave, that was my supposition, but it appears that tricks can be done on the "fork yokes" to steepen the head angle. I think the engine needs to be lifted as well. I can't help thinking that if it was easy, people would be doing more of this rather than spending a fortune on "new" Cub and James frames..I have a pic of a James for sale at £7,500.

Comment

Tell me more!!

So if someone made a frame kit that raised the engine, there may be a market for it...... umhh!!!.....is this what some people are doing?

Comment

Hi All.

Your input is greatly appretiated Brian, I for one read all your posts (even the nothing to see here one!!!!!!!!!!!)

I found the DR article very interesting.

Its a shame pre65 is no longer a shoestring sport, and that one of the most popular mounts of the day is no longer deemed competitive for the class it was quite often the top of in the day.

Regards

Scotty

Comment

Working...
                              X