Back wheel problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back wheel problems

I have a 1959 Greeves Scottish, frame no. 59/2745, although this indicates it started life as a 25DB . Just restored by someone else, I have a continuing problem with the inside rim of the rear brake plate (carrying the brake shoes) rubbing on the drum itself. Tighten the lock not too tight, the rubbing gets worse; too loose and the plate wobbles and again bears on the drum. A complicating factor is the rear tyre (110/100-18, also marked EO5) rubs on the frame on the right hand side. First question is whether this tyre is the right size, or oversize, as a thinner tyre might go to alleviating the problem. Any suggestions, please, I am new to Greeves, but a motorcyclist of long standing.

Looks like this is the bike in question http://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/for...ight=59%2F2745
    The problem with the brake shoes looks like the ones fitted are too wide, the ones for the tin hub (which your bike should have) should be 1 inch wide but look like the alloy BH full width hubs one which are 1 1/8 inches.
    As for tyre. This should be a 400 x 18 in the trials bike the tyre you have is a metric size. Problem is the bike is based on a road bike so swinging arm would not be wide enough.

Comment

What size tyre do you recommend fitting, John (for road use)?
      Don't think the brake shoes are the problem, as the scoring is inside the lip of the steel brake drum, but will check. Thanks, Patrick

Comment

Originally posted by patrickhowell View Post
        What size tyre do you recommend fitting, John (for road use)?
        Don't think the brake shoes are the problem, as the scoring is inside the lip of the steel brake drum, but will check. Thanks, Patrick
        3.25 x 18 is the standard road tyre, various makes available including Dunlop
        with reference to the brake plate rubbing on drum lip, it needs an extra spacer/washer between it and the bearing.
        Last edited by John Wakefield; 31/08/2017, 08:06 PM.

Comment

John
          Is the rolling diameter of the 325x18 tyre smaller than the existing tyre? And would a 350x 18 fit OK? I am anxious not to reduce the gearing too much. Thanks again,
          Patrick

Comment

Yes a lot smaller than existing tyre (which I assume is a trials tyre seen in the pic on http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C887787). A road tyre 3.50 x 18 should give enough clearance. So are you still selling it?
            Last edited by John Wakefield; 01/09/2017, 09:54 AM.

Comment

John, it's quietly for sale when I have sorted the present problem, as usual, I have too much machinery, and not enough garage space, so one of them has to go! Thanks, Patrick

Comment

Working...
              X