Greeves Riders Association Forums   Greeves Riders Association Forums Not signed up? Send an email to contact@greeves-riders.org.uk requesting access.
Find out more about GRA membership and how to join here.

Go Back   Greeves Riders Association Forums > Machine-specific forums > Scrambles machines

Old 10/01/2018, 05:58 PM
Basic User

Default Paddock starter

Hi all,
Has any member had any experience with paddock roller starters, if so which type, and how did they perform
Old 12/01/2018, 07:32 PM
GRA Member

I bought a Doc Z roller starter about 3 years ago after bump starting my Yamaha TD2 road racer was getting more difficult as I get older! I use it to start both my Silverstone and the TD2 and assorted other bikes at the track that are proving difficult to start, although the Silverstone is an easy bike to start without the rollers.

The one I bought, directly from Art Zimmerman in the US as we used to race together in the 250cc class when he ventured up to Mosport, is the direct drive model with gear drives to each roller using 2 Ford F150 truck starter motors.

Never had a problem starting my bikes but even with the close ratio gears I have to start the Silverstone in 2nd gear but the extra tall 1st gear on the Yam means I start that in 1st gear.

Not sure how they would work on motocross bikes but it works a treat with the road racers.

Stan
Old 13/01/2018, 06:49 AM
GRA Member

Location: North West. RAS, RCS,RDS & RES Silverstone, RFS Oulton, Super Cub, Burgman 400

Most common in road race paddocks is the Solo starter. Available with different rollers for mx. Chris is really helpful and usually found at major race meetings and the race paddock at Stafford show. Never heard of any problems.
http://www.solomotorcycleproducts.com/starter.html

Dogsbody
Old 13/01/2018, 09:30 AM
GRA Member

I have seen battery-powered roller starters fail to crank bigger 4-strokes sufficiently to get them going, in which case a petrol-engined one is needed. For our 2-strokes the battery ones should be fine. You haven't said what bike it is for Marley Peter?
Old 13/01/2018, 11:11 AM
GRA Member

Location: bikes owned, 380 qub griffon. maico 400, 560 rotax ccm, living in north somerset

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanCordes View Post
I have seen battery-powered roller starters fail to crank bigger 4-strokes sufficiently to get them going, in which case a petrol-engined one is needed. For our 2-strokes the battery ones should be fine. You haven't said what bike it is for Marley Peter?
Probaby the red marley hill climb!
Old 13/01/2018, 11:33 AM
GRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave higgins View Post
Probaby the red marley hill climb!
I said what bike, not what bike event!