Ranger 3 project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ranger 3 project

I picked up the Ranger today, a wet and windy Devon day.

No surprises, I knew what was missing and what needed repairing. The most obvious repair required is that headlamp ears are needed.

I bought some reproduced Indian made copies of the Tiger cub brackets as they seem to be the same.

Obviously one of the previous owners was quite handy with a hacksaw as the binnacle - as usual has been cut away to aid acceleration.
    Just as well I am getting a few cast as this happens too so many of the American bikes.

The tank will go to Jason at CW Classics who always does a great job at making dents vanish.

The one missing part I have not got for this Ranger is the rack, so I will have to decide to either try and copy one I have, or as it is not going to be totally original to have a different style of rack - who knows.

What is it with this obsession of chopping all brackets off bikes? And the binnacle is just pure butchery!

Great project, plenty of work though....

Comment

Carburettor

I have got a good spark so I thought I would see if this one is a runner. The carburettor slide was stuck, however it freed up with a bit of WD40.
      I don't think I have one carburettor the same so far, this one is an Amal 932, previous bike has an Amal 626.

Not sure why it would have a 932 - any idea? Maybe the clue was in the large rear sprocket.

Comment

Presumably judging by the chopped off bits high bars, large sprocket & expansion chamber exhaust, its USA owner wanted to pep it up a bit an make it into a 'scrambler', the 626 carb is only 26mm whereas the 932 is 32mm

Comment

And of course it would have started life with a Villiers S25...
          Colin Sparrow

Comment

Hi Tony,
            Seat is on its way for QUB, you will see that it has been re-foamed by an idiot so best to reshape or strip off and start again.
            Nice Ranger by the way.
            I want to find an original unrestored Hawstone next.

Craig

Comment

Thanks Craig

Comment

Crock no match for a Villiers kickback

I thought I would see if there was any life in the bike so I bolted on an S25 and a bit of fuel from my temporary tank. First kick - back fire - the crock was no match and I felt it through my foot . One pair of motorbike boots later (hindsight is a wonderful thing ) and it roared into life. I had to keep it going by pulling the cable as it did not quite fit but it revved nicely.
                If I feel brave enough tomorrow I might see if the clutch and gears work.
                More worrying is my son asked if I could paint this one Moorland orange - with black tank and orange stripe.
                I know this is a project bike and not going to be original but - there must be limits to good taste -

Comment

Tasty....

Originally posted by tony View Post
                  I know this is a project bike and not going to be original but - there must be limits to good taste -
                  No good asking me Tony.....I'm currently trying to decide between wood chip or marble (with gold fittings) for the Graga......

bRiAn.

Comment

Marble's too heavy.....

Comment

Gas Mark 5.....and it's Hi-Ho Silver (well, Marble actually)...Away...!!!

Originally posted by Brian Catt View Post
                      Marble's too heavy.....
                      ......not if I light up the grill and use it as an afterburner.... Besides....it really sets off the green fur fabric seat cover I've just finished knitting for it....

Meanwhile, back to Tony's excellent thread.....

If the rest of the bike is nicely finished and screwed together properly, as yours invariably are, I personally think you can get away with murder re colour, as you say, as long as it's done tastefully (whatever that is...)

I mentioned in a previous thread ages ago a very smart looking and nicely built American Greeves I once saw that had been painted in a kind of aquamarine blue metallic colour. In my opinion (and I guess the owner's) it suited the bike a treat and looked lovely in the sunshine. As I recall, that too was a 'special' and something similar to what you are going for Tony. As such, maybe a tasteful deviation away from 'the norm' would be very fitting for a project like this. Either way, I'm sure that you'll end up with something very nice, whatever you decide to go for, and if anyone starts moaning, just show them the 'before' pics......

Good luck with the rest of the build(s) mate, and look forward to seeing progress as it all unfolds. Thanks for sharing it all with us.

Brian.

Comment

Orange

It is supposed to be the bike that is orange not me

I had just gone for a quick spin over the field, literally with that sprocket it needed a fair amount of revs and slipping the clutch.

Short video clip - it was easier riding down the lane.

https://youtu.be/HuEeQme-Mo4

It is great to find a bike that has not been active for some time and then managed to get it going.

What a beaut

well maybe not yet - but you have to look deeper - it's all about the soul - this bike has a story to tell, no centrally heated shed existence.

Okay Okay it's f@%*ing ugly but you wait - there is a butterfly waiting to emerge

Comment

umhh! looking at the seat, there is a possibility here, that the previous owner had a wind problem.....

Comment

I know the feeling Dave, I probably contributed to that sliding across the field

Comment

Well i never!

As a side note, i have this ranger of tony`s in my workshop, along with garybam`s ranger, both are within 9 production numbers of each other & were probably exported in the same batch, spent 40 odd yrs in the states & both arrived separately back in the uk within days of each other.! now sitting quite happy together, as they would have been, prior to dispatch all those yrs ago..................spooky.......
                              Last edited by dave higgins; 07/02/2016, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X