X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is safer M, trust me.....!

Greetings M,

Great pic!

Now then.......ahh yes, the bass player.......half-way between a drummer and a musician..... (I own a bass, by the way, but I'm a guitarist.....)

The nice thing with both those Am 11 shapes is that you can break them down (for example, play top three strings only, or other combinations) and this makes them less of a stretch. As you say, just omitting the thumb and letting the bass take care of the root isn't a bad idea....

On the course I used to give it to my stage 2's at the start of the year as part of their of exercise/practice regime, kinda like the next stage once you've mastered barre chords. Spread over a suitable period of time, it's a good way of 'opening up' the left hand and getting your fretting and wrist/LH thumb position just right. Good posture and playing position helps as well. This was when many student guitar straps suddenly got shorter......it's hard to play those kinda chords standing up if it's round your knees.....

Brian.

Comment

Coolest Chord In The Universe.

A no-brainer this one, E min9/Maj7, easily the coolest chord ever....

For best results, omit top E string and gently (but firmly!) stroke across the strings with your RH thumb, with as much menace as you can muster! "The name's Bond....James Bond...."

Speaking of cool....anyone coming for a ride/skate this morning.....it's a balmy zero degrees out there.....think I'll leave it an hour before going into work.....!

Brian.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Brian Thompson; 25/11/2014, 10:28 AM. Reason: Pics attached.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Thompson View Post

Speaking of cool....anyone coming for a ride/skate this morning.....it's a balmy zero degrees out there.....think I'll leave it an hour before going into work.....!

Brian.
        Hi Brian,

Interesting photo! Looks like your bike, and a car with a flat tyre are both parked in the middle of a road, blocking it!

I have to agree with the Bert Weedon comments, we have 5 guitars in the house and I still can't play them.

Cheers,
        Andrew
        Attached Files

Comment

Non twangers unite!

Originally posted by Stuart Baskill View Post
          .That Bert Weeden told lies.He said any idiot could play guitar within a week but 51 years after buying my guitar I still cant play anything !!!!!!
          I'm with you Stuart. All this tech stuff is way over my head. But I worked in a successful group in Brighton from 1958 - 1963. Packed dance halls, lotsa happy rock n rollers!! It was simple and fun. Pay was good too!
          Guitar Boogie Shuffle didn't move 'em but FBI sure did.

Still looking for my coat Brian

Comment

Double yellas....

Originally posted by Andy Z View Post
            Hi Brian,

Interesting photo! Looks like your bike, and a car with a flat tyre are both parked in the middle of a road, blocking it!

I have to agree with the Bert Weedon comments, we have 5 guitars in the house and I still can't play them.

Cheers,
            Andrew
            Look again Andy....1.) It's a company bike (2015 Yamaha MT-09), and 2.) It's not a road, it's a car park area - we have two spaces for each house, and my Wendy parks her car behind my bike as our neighbour's car (with flat tire) only uses the one space so there's always plenty of room to get through. Wendy had already gone to work, but I'm usually away first (but not today....brrr!) Glad we cleared that up.....

Now....about your guitar collection that's gathering dust....they're not ornaments tha knas....!

Brian.

Comment

Well I 'aint got it.....

Originally posted by Keith Bolas View Post
              Still looking for my coat Brian
              Keith...don't tell me you left it in the dressing room....again.....

Brian.

Comment

Thanks Brian!

Thanks for your postings, Brian, and for coming up with this thread in the first place! Thanks for sharing your knowledge/experience/expertise.

I now know more about guitar technology than I have ever managed to pick up (no pun intended) in 60 years of interest in the instrument, and who would have expected to find it on a biking website ............ except for us bikers of course?

Needless to say, I never could learn to play the instrument properly ........... too many strings/frets ............ not enough fingers ............. any old excuse?

Congratulations to all out there who have managed it!

John R

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Thompson View Post
                  Keith...don't tell me you left it in the dressing room....again.....

Brian.
                  Yet again!!!

I'm only jealous ... it's all in my soul but the damn digits won't work!

I play music digitally to make people happy ... but wish I could make it in the first place. Besides, I can't reach the end of a Burns bass any more ...

Keep it up mate, music is life to many of us.

Keith

Comment

Are the wheels and fork legs on that Yamaha " Mooreland Blue" by any chance Brian?
                    Kevin

Comment

Twangers corner

I like the pic Brian, do you doubles for Ronnie Wood? if so add a few more facial cracks, been off line a week router -modem connection packed up now got a wireless adapter fitted and back on again. Mr Bolas (Keith) i was intrested in your playing at the Sussex area of Shoreham with that group The Echotones! and that jogged my memory, or whats left of it, as i have a mate who used to ride in Trials down here in Littlehampton Sussex but has Moved to Cornwall 10 years ago and i was speaking to him last week, and he remembers you as he used to play the keyboard and vocals in that group! Remember CLIVE SWONNELL eh.

Comment

brian do you still make or repair guitars , as i have a 1937 trumello jazz , it has been played so much the fingerboard has worn so much in places it is getting harder to fret properly so its is due a new fretboard, must bad quality as its onlly been played for 77 years, or am i to heavy handed, ..will(ex dr k`s blues band and mad s/car rider)

Comment

Never had all these problems when I was lead triangle.........

Comment

Originally posted by Dick F View Post
                            I like the pic Brian, do you doubles for Ronnie Wood? if so add a few more facial cracks, been off line a week router -modem connection packed up now got a wireless adapter fitted and back on again. Mr Bolas (Keith) i was intrested in your playing at the Sussex area of Shoreham with that group The Echotones! and that jogged my memory, or whats left of it, as i have a mate who used to ride in Trials down here in Littlehampton Sussex but has Moved to Cornwall 10 years ago and i was speaking to him last week, and he remembers you as he used to play the keyboard and vocals in that group! Remember CLIVE SWONNELL eh.
                            My memories are getting so bad these days. I can remember Johnny Fullick, Peter Bridle (drums), no longer with us. We started from scratch in 1959, I think, playing yoof clubs and the odd dance. I left in 1962 and moved to Whitstable to disappear into obscurity. But my earliest days as a budding DJ were running a dance club in the factory canteen once a month.
                            My memories of Clive are so misty (not Johnny Mathis!!!)
                            I started as rhythm guitar and was better at bass. Was better at one finger stuff ... they all say that Lol
                            It was all so basic then.
                            My son Vinnie who was born in Sussex in 1961 is a rock drummer and runs lots of gigs etc in the Forest of Dean. So music is in the family. Look up Vinnie Buckingham if you are into rock.
                            I'm really a soul man ...

Comment

early days

My first Bass was a Rosetti cheapo thing that was played thro a cheap 30 watt amp with an ex railway station tannoy speaker fitted.
                              It made a sort of thud that was just about enough. but it was real fun!

We were the pioneers of the current music scene ... sorry folks! It's all our fault.

I'll get my bike .................

Comment

Earlier days?

My first bass was "acoustic", an upturned tea chest with a single cord threaded through the centre-top and tensioned manually with an attached broomstick rested loosely on its other end at one corner of the box. I had a cymbal mounted on the opposite corner which was set off with every twang of the cord through the box, to complement the bass thump of the tea-chest. That was in 1956.
                                Last edited by johnrunnacles; 28/11/2014, 03:02 PM. Reason: zpellin'

Comment

Working...
                                X