My 1960 24TCS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could be that the air pilot is blocked in the carb

I had a similar issue with my 32A recently that has a 22mm Amal 626 on it. Bike would start but ran very rich and would hesitate when the throttle was opened. It also refused to idle with the air filter fitted. In my case, the bike had sat with petrol in it since the mid 70s and the petrol/oil had separated with some accumulating in the float bowl and elsewhere seeping out of the petcock and hardening on top of the gearbox casing.
    I drained the old fuel out of the tank but there was still some crud in there which I tried to get rid of using a heavy duty degreaser, rinsed out with water and left to dry out in the sun. Looking at the pics of your decomposing tank liner, some of this may have dissolved into the fuel mix and found its way into the carb and is causing these issues.
    I then dismantled the carb and removed the idle adjuster and the air control screw. I removed the jets and the air control jet in the float bowl and then sprayed carburetor cleaner into each of the holes where I'd removed these parts. I took a very fine piece of wire and made sure that the two small holes near the carb valve were also clear.
    To cap it all off, I used some compressed air to blow out the places where I'd used the carb cleaner. Once the carb was put back together, I wound the adjuster screws in and backed them out about 1 1/2 turns and set the idle and it has been running fine (perhaps a little lean at 30:1 as the plug tip is a little light grey but the exhaust is still smoking lightly).
    I think you might find a quick rebuild of the carb with a clean out of the air pilot may be useful. In my case, I think the contaminated old petrol had gummed up the interior passageways of the carb which the cleaning fixed. Your dissolving tank liner may have done the same.
    I also found a really useful reference on the Amal carburetor website in the link below which may explain the differences in shape between the different carburetor slide valves you have (there are different shapes for 2 stroke, 4 stroke, alcohol etc.)
    Last edited by Texaco Star; 12/04/2016, 10:50 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.
      I pulled apart and cleaned, but will re do using the cans of carby cleaner on my shelf.
      I believe my problem was, instead of running rich, as I thought,
      was actually running out of fuel, due to the liner chunks in the tank, so leaning out on the uphill climbs.
      Will give an outcome report, at the next Trial in a few weeks.

whitehillbillies

Comment

Hi,
        Can report the Greeves is back together with new parts.
        wear on the mainshaft ball bearings, as well as 40 thou on the Thrust washer.
        Assembled with two shims, only to fully strip it all again, removing one shim to give me the 10 thou play, suggested by Villiers Services. Old bush measured up slightly bigger than new one, so left it in.
        3 goes at getting the gears and box back together correctly. Only a 3 speed box for a while. Forgot the racket can change position when bumped.
        Couple of stand brackets made, thanks to drawings supplied by Rob.
        just need to source a spring.
        Stand has to be lengthened by 2 inches.
        The NJB ( I think ) front dampeners and NJB rears, when I rebuilt the Greeves many years ago, must be a bit longer than the original one fitted.
        which way round does the curved stand bracket fit ????
        Oils in tomorrow, also new slide and needle.
        Will see how the 6 new, Lighter, clutch springs go.
        Thanks for replies.

whitehillbilly

Comment

Thinking of adding decompressor, to the head, for some added braking.
          What would be the thread size please.
          Where would be a good source ????
          Also, what brake shoes are you competing Trials Guys, using on you bikes ????
          would like to improve wet, stopping power.
          Thanks.

whitehillbilly

Comment

Decompressors use the same size thread as plugs, so you can use either 2 plugs or 1 plug and a decompressor. They do help to keep things under control when going downhill, but also allow some throttle and hence oil to get in on fast long drops.

Comment

Unless you have the eqiupment & skill to machine your existing cylinder head, it would be best to source one that already has a decompressor hole. Should have bought the one that I mentioned on eBay back in April 2015 http://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/for...t=Decompressor
              Last edited by John Wakefield; 25/02/2017, 05:20 PM.

Comment

Thanks Brian.
                Had a thought it was the same thread as plug.
                Hi john, head has 2 holes, one centre the other on the LH side of the head, with a blanking plug fitted.
                Thanks for the replies.
                Now, where to get one ????

whitehillbilly

Comment

2017 Season

Well Santa has packed his Sleigh away for another year.
                  All ready to go.
                  First Trial Kicks off next week.
                  One finger clutch lever. Just need to find some better brakes !!!!.

whitehillbilly
                  Attached Files

Comment

Regarding brake linings, I have used these 'good when wet trials linings' but when not wet, find them a bit like an on/off switch! Ask Dangerous Dick for details, he has seen me in action with the front brake and actually manage a bigger prang than him!

In the UK, Safetek do suitable trials linings. You just need to specify what you want to use the shoes for.

Comment

Thanks Rob.
                      I would just like some replacement shoes.
                      Also thanks for the curved stand bracket details.
                      Have had two made up.whick end connects to the stand ???? Longer or shorter side ????

Whitehillbilly

Comment

spoke to Villiers services.
                        They will supply 4 shoes with linings suitable for Trials work.
                        Thanks.

whitehillbilly

Comment

Trailered the Greeves to my local show and shine.
                          Back home and rode in my Honda CJ250T.
                          The Honda was the Isle of Man TT raffle prize in 1977. Dad won it. Cost him 25 pence.
                          Shipped to Aus, 3 years ago. 10,000 miles on the clock.

Whitehillbilly
                          Attached Files

Comment

First real play with lightened clutch, and new brake shoes.
                            Like a different bike. Feeling more confident down big drops. Yaaa I can stop.
                            Trial at the weekend.
                            Report back, after a day of creek section.

whitehillbilly

Comment

Good Day on the Greeves.
                              40 sections, 4 laps of Ten. Bike went perfect.
                              Villiers Services, brake shoes work so well wet, or dry.
                              Several with modern bikes, made comment on how light my clutch was.
                              Score would have been lower, without my 4, 5's. Back brake working to well stalling the motor. Yes, it was my foot pushing the lever, so backed it off a bit, improving things.
                              would help if I rode the Greeves, between events.
                              Very happy with the set up I have now.

whitehillbilly
                              Attached Files

Comment

Another great Trial on the Greeves.
                                brakes bedding in. smaller S25, rebuilt. 120 main.
                                pulled real well from low down. revs right through nice and crisp.
                                just a bit of rear tyre creep, even with 2 correct, good quality rim locks.

whitehillbilly
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X