No announcement yet.

Another 24TFS Rebuild!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brian, I have been quietly accumulating the parts for the bike for about three years. Once I acquired a set of bananas I fitted new NJB shocks and trial-fitted them to the bike. Then a complete strip-down for powder coating (well done Suffolk Stove Enamellers) wheels rebuilt with alloy rims by Hagons. Then just put it back together (in between fettling the Scott and the TR4A).

Had to do something after the book was finished!

Funnily enough the trickiest bit was getting the generic Wassel seat to fit. None of the bolt-holes lined up of course, so a suitable mounting plate had to be fabricated in 5mm steel plate. That took a bit of getting right (ish) with no way of getting it red hot.

Ian, I will be looking out for an alternative seat at Shepton Mallet and Telford. I'd quite like to put a scrambler type seat on - be more comfy for green laning. Suggestions for type and maker welcomed.
    Colin Sparrow

Comment

I got this one from Adrian Moss back when I restored this bike...

AndyB
      Attached Files

Comment

Yes Andy that is the correct seat for a TE, i had a TC or TD and they had this type.

Colin ,Terry Sewell sells the Anglian style seat that i use on my Anglian and also on my TES, the one on the TFS is the same i think, any rate i have a spare that i use when i use it in anger!! and could bring it to Telford for you to try ok

Comment

Seat, etc....

Originally posted by Colin Sparrow View Post
          Brian, I have been quietly accumulating the parts for the bike for about three years. Once I acquired a set of bananas I fitted new NJB shocks and trial-fitted them to the bike. Then a complete strip-down for powder coating (well done Suffolk Stove Enamellers) wheels rebuilt with alloy rims by Hagons. Then just put it back together (in between fettling the Scott and the TR4A).

Had to do something after the book was finished!

Funnily enough the trickiest bit was getting the generic Wassel seat to fit. None of the bolt-holes lined up of course, so a suitable mounting plate had to be fabricated in 5mm steel plate. That took a bit of getting right (ish) with no way of getting it red hot.

Ian, I will be looking out for an alternative seat at Shepton Mallet and Telford. I'd quite like to put a scrambler type seat on - be more comfy for green laning. Suggestions for type and maker welcomed.
          Hi Colin,

Thanks for the additional background. I'll bet that seat was tricky, at 5mm thick steel....not like making an ali chainguard by bending it round a broom handle eh....

Andy B beat me too it, as I was going to add a suggestion for Rickman Products Greeves seats as well. Here's a direct link (scroll down the page, the seats are about two thirds of the way down.) http://www.rickman-motorcycles.com/parts-and-prices.php

Sounds like Dicky might have a solution for you too Colin....

Good hunting!

Brian.

Comment

5mm thick steel plate.......that's buggered the c of g a bit!

Comment

5mm - I just had some left over from when I made the sidestand mounting for the Scott. And I am quite heavy...

Thanks for the seat advice - I'll come back on that.
              Colin Sparrow

Comment

Hi i have pm you Colin and have had no reply ,as i said do you want me to bring these two seats to Telford or not !? i see you may have changed direction on this as you are going to green later, just let us know whats up ok Dicky

Comment

PM now sent Dick. I'll see you at Shepton anyway!
                  Colin Sparrow

Comment

Really Finished!

Well, I've now completely finished the 24TFS with a few improvements from when I started this thread. The principal changes have been to lower the seat and extend the side-stand.

Sailed through the MoT this morning, now I've just got to get it registered.
                    Attached Files
                    Colin Sparrow

Comment

That looks great Colin.

Where's the kickstarter from?

Comment

Is that 'East Coaster' black?
                        Last edited by John Wakefield; 03/06/2017, 11:11 PM.

Comment

Ian, I bought the kick-start at the Stafford Show a couple of years ago. Can't recall from whom. I still have to fold the footrest up to start the bike though.

By the way, the freshly rebuilt engine with new electronic ignition started the first time of trying on the fourth kick. Well done John Fryatt who did the engine for me.

John, the black finish is powder coat by Suffolk Stove Enamellers. Moorland Black of course...
                          Colin Sparrow

Comment

I could have sworn it was that well-known Ford colour, Dagenham Midnight!

Comment

As Phil correctly spotted, definitely Moorland Black - or if you like, Swaledale Midnight...
                              Colin Sparrow

Comment

Good news and bad news

The good news is that I've been successful in recovering the original registration number for the TFS, so JPG 608C lives again.

The bad news is that the V5C has come back with the bike registered as a Norton. I don't think I wrote "Norton" on the V55/5. Can't win sometimes, can you..?

V5C has gone back, let's just hope it gets sorted...
                                Colin Sparrow

Comment

Working...
                                X