How much?!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much?!!

Got to be worth a quid surely? Postage included!!

Dogsbody

Sounds too good to be true but I have spent a pound anyway!

Comment

I bought a cheapie 6 or 7 years ago, about 4 quid, free postage to Au from china.
      Only problem, bit of corrosion on the battery connections.
      I put a good battery in it, worried about cheap battery leaking.

whitehillbilly

Comment

Originally posted by Dogsbody View Post
        Got to be a catch somewhere, £1 wont pay the postage. Reading the reviews most thought it was poor quality, inaccurate & frankly a load of crap.
        Last edited by John Wakefield; 20/08/2016, 12:03 AM.

Comment

Sorry John, Amazon reviews are 437 5 star versus 76 1 star so hardly most think it is rubbish. For a pound I can give it to somene as a Xmas present
          Dogsbody

Comment

Buy 10, sell for 2 quid, mates will think they have snagged a bargain, little knowing you doubled you money.
            Quick easy couple of beers, I recon.

whitehillbilly

Comment

Originally posted by Dogsbody View Post
              Sorry John, Amazon reviews are 437 5 star versus 76 1 star so hardly most think it is rubbish. For a pound I can give it to somene as a Xmas present
              Dogsbody
              Yeh but most of the reviews are probably faked, its the recent negative ones that one needs to take notice of. Some go back 4 years so it may have been a more expensive vernier back then. The pic in one is definitely not the same product as advertised. Think about it. What is the point of selling something for nothing, the postage would certainly be more than a £1.
              Be interested to hear from Ken when he gets his.
              Last edited by John Wakefield; 20/08/2016, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Things from China for a quid.....

Nice thread DB....

That caliper looks very similar to the Halfords 'Pro' one I bought a few years ago at, err, about twenty times the price...!! Still works good as new though and I use it regularly. This one has to be worth a go for a (gasp) quid!

A couple of points, if I may..... Contrary to some posters it would seem, I always thought these types were called 'digital' calipers as they don't use a vernier scale to read off the result from. Much easier to use too, I reckon.

'Dial' calipers have a (gasp) dial readout instead, and are also not vernier calipers for the same reason. Wake up at the back!

One last tip....it's a good idea to remove the battery from a digital caliper when not in use, even when it's turned off, as many types still draw current and will flatten it nicely, usually just in time for when you want to use it again....Mine uses LR44 types and can be had cheap as chips if you shop around, even if it adds considerably to the cost of said cheap digital caliper at £3.04 for ten... https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-li...&condition=new

Meanwhile, I've been having a poke around and have discovered lots of wondrous things from China for a quid.... I'm definitely going to get me one of these! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Infrared-M...cAAOSwqfNXnw3v I have no idea what it is or what I will do with it when it arrives, but I was most impressed with the fact that it comes mounted on it's own special table that has black legs with writing on them.

bRiAn.
                Last edited by Brian Thompson; 21/08/2016, 09:54 AM. Reason: Links added.

Comment

Digital calipers

I've bought a couple over the years, they're OK for measuring things at an autojumble but I went off them when I wasted 3 hours of machining and a hard to replace part when the readings drifted - no, the battery was good, not corroded and a decent make.
                  I tend to use steam micrometers for critical work. If I ever bought another it would be a Mitutoyo at the appropriate price.
                  Druid

Comment

Got my cheapy caliper from Lidls for about a tenner, good for quick and autojumbling measurements. Got a Mitutoyo for lathe work, together with the good old eye straining vernier calipers and micrometers.

Comment

Another Horses for Courses situation! OK for quick reference, but not for proper work!

Comment

Have I wasted my pound?

No sign yet of the caliper/vernier.
                        It should have been delivered by 25th Sept
                        I have sent a message to the supplier but have not yet had a reply.
                        Maybe it is on one of those container ships that are marooned at sea following the bankruptcy of the Hanjin line?
                        Last edited by Ken Wilson; 06/10/2016, 08:44 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake

Comment

Working...
                        X