Got my Bike. Greeves Trials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got my Bike. Greeves Trials

As in the title. I have today bought a Greeves Trials Bike. I ride most weekends but always fancied the Greeves.
    So here goes, What Have I got. Well you tell me.
    Frame, 24 TJB 227. Engine 37A, Forks Ceriani. Conical alloy hubs,Fibre Glass Tank Rear sprocket is 64 tooth front is 14. It has a Challenger Barrel why I know not. It is a very nice machine and very clean. The engine was rebuilt 5 years ago and only ridden once. Been in a collection of machines.
    1968/9 is the supposed year.
    So you guys what is it. I think it is an Anglian with a few mods, The barrel for one.
    I have applied to join the GRA and look forward to being a member.
    I need some info please, How much oil in the gear box and what type, can I use ATF or gear oil. How much oil in the clutch and hat type and grade. How much oil in my forks and what grade, So if anybody could answer these questions for me and tell me more about my bike I would be very grateful.
    Regards Ken. I have pics but not sure how to post them as yet.
    One Life Live it

The TJB is pretty rare they went onto the TJSB after that, are you sure its not TJSB227? as for maintenance of the engine/gearbox unit its well worth buying an engine workshop manual from Villiers Services http://villiersservices.co.uk/index....roducts_id=614
    That will list all the lubricants and capacities
    As a non member you can post pics via a hosting site (Photobucket Tinypics etc)
    Last edited by John Wakefield; 26/03/2018, 08:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
      The TJB is pretty rare they went onto the TJSB after that, are you sure its not TJSB227? as for maintenance of the engine/gearbox unit its well worth buying an engine workshop manual from Villiers Services http://villiersservices.co.uk/index....roducts_id=614
      That will list all the lubricants and capacities
      Cheers John, Frame reads 24 TJB 227. Thanks for info on Manual I will get one ordered now. Ken.
      One Life Live it

Comment

Probably best that you consult the official Manual, Ken, otherwise you'll find that there is a variety of opinion as to suitable lubricants. Don't think that ATF would be a good choice for the gearbox, though .............. but could that just be "me"? Regret I have no experience of the TJB so cannot advise you more specifically.
        Last edited by johnrunnacles; 26/03/2018, 09:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by johnrunnacles View Post
          Probably best that you consult the official Manual, Ken, otherwise you'll find that there is a variety of opinion as to suitable lubricants. Don't think that ATF would be a good choice for the gearbox, though .............. but could that just be "me"?
          Thanks John, I have ordered the manual. All very exciting this new/old machine.
          One Life Live it

Comment

Hi Ken, not familiar with exact machine, but fibreglass tank could be an issue. As you will see once your full forum access comes through, it has been a regular discussion over the years. Problem is, if your tank is original (ie old as oppose to original for your bike) modern high ethanol petrol will dissolve the tank from the inside. However, I know many people risk it, particularly with scrambles machines, but empty the tank of fuel immediately after use. I will be trying this approach with my Griffon this season, and see how it copes. If you don't fancy the risk, new fibreglass tanks are available from Roger Ennis which are top quality and ethanol resistant. he advertises in the GRA Leading Link Mag.

Go with 1/4 pint each leg fork oil in cerianis and see how it feels. looking forward to some pics, sounds a nice machine !
            Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Soggy Welly View Post
              Hi Ken, not familiar with exact machine, but fibreglass tank could be an issue. As you will see once your full forum access comes through, it has been a regular discussion over the years. Problem is, if your tank is original (ie old as oppose to original for your bike) modern high ethanol petrol will dissolve the tank from the inside. However, I know many people risk it, particularly with scrambles machines, but empty the tank of fuel immediately after use. I will be trying this approach with my Griffon this season, and see how it copes. If you don't fancy the risk, new fibreglass tanks are available from Roger Ennis which are top quality and ethanol resistant. he advertises in the GRA Leading Link Mag.

Go with 1/4 pint each leg fork oil in cerianis and see how it feels. looking forward to some pics, sounds a nice machine !
              Paul
              Cheers for reply Soggy, Thanks for oil in legs info. I know about the tank issues. It is a reasonably new tanks well over 5 years old but the bike had been unused for most of that time. I agree I will also be draining the tank after use. Yes it is a very nice machine. Certainly looking forward to riding the bike. It will be used. Ken
              One Life Live it

Comment

From the description, it sounds like a TJS, but......it's a Greeves and nobody knows the full story! Could it be an upgraded TJ with someone's B added?

Comment

Hi Ken. You are about right with the year, 1968 is about right. You can get it dated later on, as Colin mentioned, if you wish. The Challenger-type barrel and head is correct, so no worries there. As for your tank, if you have a friendly private airfield nearby you could see if they will sell you Avgas; just the job, 100 octane, and ethanol-free. The burning characteristics are slightly different from regular pump fuel, but you are unlikely to feel any difference.

I guess it looks like this......?
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by IanCordes View Post
                    Hi Ken. You are about right with the year, 1968 is about right. You can get it dated later on, as Colin mentioned, if you wish. The Challenger-type barrel and head is correct, so no worries there. As for your tank, if you have a friendly private airfield nearby you could see if they will sell you Avgas; just the job, 100 octane, and ethanol-free. The burning characteristics are slightly different from regular pump fuel, but you are unlikely to feel any difference.

I guess it looks like this......?
                    Ian yes my bike is very similar to that in the picture. Good news about the Head and Barrel. Cheers for the reply. Nice to have this info coming in. It helps build the big picture.
                    One Life Live it

Comment

I can't help wondering if it started life as a 24TJ Wessex. An Anglian from 1968 would be 24TJS. It could easily have been brought up to Anglian spec later.

If it is a Wessex then a steel tank would be correct.

Clearly it's a re-import which would account for the "B" (or the "E"!) - so NOVA1 needed before it can be registered. Not really a problem though.
                      Last edited by Colin Sparrow; 29/03/2018, 08:45 AM. Reason: update
                      Colin Sparrow

Comment

Originally posted by Colin Sparrow View Post
                        I can't help wondering if it started life as a 24TJ Wessex. An Anglian from 1968would be 24TJS. It could easily have been brought up to Anglian spec later.

If it is, then a steel tank would be correct.

Clearly it's a re-import so NOVA1 needed. Not really a problem though.
                        Colin it has a Glass tank. Challenger Head and Barrel, conical hubs.
                        I understand your comments ref the NOVA1. I will be in touch soon. Bike is now in bits having a deep clean.
                        One Life Live it

Comment

Hi can you photograph the frame number, it seems to have raised a few queries! As per Colin, I wondered if it was an updated TJ Wessex, but until we get the dispatch records plus the image of the number, we are all surmising about it's history. Another theory is it's a replacement beam for a damaged one and the owner restamped it himself?????

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Catt View Post
                            Hi can you photograph the frame number, it seems to have raised a few queries! As per Colin, I wondered if it was an updated TJ Wessex, but until we get the dispatch records plus the image of the number, we are all surmising about it's history. Another theory is it's a replacement beam for a damaged one and the owner restamped it himself?????
                            Brian, I have sent the photos to Colin which included the frame number. It all look original stamping. I am sure it will all be sorted
                            One Life Live it

Comment

Wrong ID

I might have been giving you a bum steer
                              The frame number is 24 TJE 227 Made in England.
                              Ken
                              Not sure we have been looking for 24 TJB 227.
                              One Life Live it

Comment

Working...
                              X