Jack Thompson Pre 65 Trial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack Thompson Pre 65 Trial

Anyone else from GRA riding in the Jack Thompson trial at Canada Heights on the 3rd December? Or coming to watch? British bikes only, excellent event at an iconic venue, and usually plenty of Greeves about.
    Starts at 09:30.

Yes, myself (Anglian), son Ian (TES), Dangerous Dick Faggetter (Anglian), Chris Brown (Anglian), Martin Kemp (TES?), John Pattinson (TES), and of course, you Mr Morgan, riding an AJS, there may well by more. There are 15 Greeves amongst the 121 entries listed so far!

Should be a good day for Greeves spotters, an excellent turnout. This just goes to show what can be achieved by a good club putting on a sensible trial that is known as such!

Comment

Sadly, I have an appointment with a storage container on that day.

Comment

Yup, riding the Ajay at the Jack Thompson as saving the Anglian for the final round of the Star Group championship at Warren Heath the following week. Sold the Scottish prior to house move. Martin Kemp will be joined by his brother Rupert on his well sorted TDS, lovely bike. Should be a good day, I look forward to meeting up with you guys there.

Comment

Lets hope the weather will be kind, nice event an very few holdups as well, except for two sticky ones arghaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Morgan View Post
            Yup, riding the Ajay at the Jack Thompson as saving the Anglian for the final round of the Star Group championship at Warren Heath the following week. Sold the Scottish prior to house move. Martin Kemp will be joined by his brother Rupert on his well sorted TDS, lovely bike. Should be a good day, I look forward to meeting up with you guys there.
            Hi Jeff, the aforementioned Scottish will be flying the Greeves flag with the Peak Classic Trials Club tomorrow. Hope all have a great day....
            Paul

Comment

Excellent Paul, we've got to wait another week before we get out to play! Have a good day, keep those feet up and let us know how you get on. I've never ridden in your neck of the woods, not too many rocky sections here 'dahn souf', plenty of mud though, softer to land on..........

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Morgan View Post
                Excellent Paul, we've got to wait another week before we get out to play! Have a good day, keep those feet up and let us know how you get on. I've never ridden in your neck of the woods, not too many rocky sections here 'dahn souf', plenty of mud though, softer to land on..........
                So the match report for the peak Classic trials club. you'd have felt right at home Jeff - lots of mud, tight and twisty through the trees, and up and down steep banks. A bit challenging for me and I really struggled with the slow speed stuff. Lots of advice though and consensus was to change final drive sprocket for 12 tooth version which has been ordered from VS this evening. Pleased to say they are a friendly bunch though - one chap let me have a play about with his Francis Barnett (with 12 tooth sprocket fitted on 32A engine) to feel what a difference it makes. next trial on 17th Dec so hopefully will be better prepared for that.

Paul

Comment

The first event was always going to be a steep learning curve, but sounds like you've got the bug, well done!
                  Lowering the gearing will definitely give you better slow speed control, and if the sections are really tight (down here we have to share the same route with some classes on modern bikes in non 'classic only' events) there is no shame in using the clutch, though the purists will tell you otherwise. Whatever works, basically.
                  Hopefully Rob will post one of his excellent reports on this coming Sundays fun and frolics in Kent, rain and sleet forecast, should keep it interesting...........

Comment

That just shows the need to get the gearing spot-on and why I'm trying to learn as much as I can about Griffon gears and what will be best for Vintage Enduros. Anyone with a stock of Semi-wide or Wide ratio Griffon boxes, please contact!!! Also......what alternative engine and rear sprockets are available for Griffons?

Comment

Working...
                    X