Scottish steel tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scottish steel tank

I am trying to locate a steel Scottish tank for my '59 24TAS - either std or preferably long distance (TAS) version to replace the one on my bike which was cracked after being blown out on an airline (by a mate i might add!). The crack was plugged with tank sealant but the stuff has softened over the past 7 years and is now causing fuel starvation issues and is leaking into the painted surface. I have a really nice undented DB25 tank to swap if anyone is interested?. This DB25 tank currently has a 'guide coat' of Moorland blue and will need a proper prime and top coat. The inside of the tank is in great condition.

Originally posted by 249XUU View Post
    I am trying to locate a steel Scottish tank for my '59 24TAS - either std or preferably long distance (TAS) version to replace the one on my bike which was cracked after being blown out on an airline (by a mate i might add!). The crack was plugged with tank sealant but the stuff has softened over the past 7 years and is now causing fuel starvation issues and is leaking into the painted surface. I have a really nice undented DB25 tank to swap if anyone is interested?. This DB25 tank currently has a 'guide coat' of Moorland blue and will need a proper prime and top coat. The inside of the tank is in great condition.
    Not trying to be smart here but can't you just repair the original?

Comment

Hi John
      Yeh, I was indeed thinking of restoring the original tank as I've had no takers with my offer of a swap/px for a 1960 Sports tank that I have . I guess the best thing would be to ask if anyone on here could advise me on where to start (which seams to grind out first) as I would like to split it open and get all the small dents smoothed out and go back to the original plated finish. I know a guy who can weld it up again and a good friend of mine is a metal polisher by trade so he will be able to prep it before taking it to the platers for satin chrome. Does anyone on here (including you, John) know somebody who has tackled a tank resto before? as would be very grateful.

Comment

Tank repair

I cut along the weld on the bottom of my MCS aluminium tank using a hacksaw blade got the dents knocked out and had it welded up and polished and it came up as good as new.

Comment

Dear 249XUU..... I would suggest that the best person to advise you as to how to open up the tank is the man who will be repairing and welding it back up again. Done incorrectly, it could make the welding back up difficult; therefore more expensive.

Do you know a platers who do satin chrome? I could be interested to get my ISDT tank done.

Comment

A different option!

Hi,
            Before you cut your tank there is a less invasive option up up North!
            Try www.Motorcycledentremoval Andy Mawrey operates near to Pickering North Yorks.
            Andy removed many dents from my MDS alloy tank. I know you have a steel tank but these are no problem for Andy.
            Have a look at his website and or call him.
            Hope this is of use.
            Best regards Ken.

Comment

Satin Chrome Plating

Originally posted by IanCordes View Post
              Do you know a platers who do satin chrome? I could be interested to get my ISDT tank done.
              Type 'satin chrome plating' into search, and this thread comes up Ian....

See link in post #2.

More useful info here (http://www.marquerestore.co.uk/faq.htm), here (http://www.marquerestore.co.uk/chromesat.htm) and here(http://www.marquerestore.co.uk/chromesat.htm).

Brian.
              Last edited by Brian Thompson; 30/03/2016, 08:33 AM. Reason: Links added.

Comment

SMB plating

Ian I used SMB plating

Comment

Working...
                X