Swinging Arm Bushes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swinging Arm Bushes

Members may like to know that Greeves swinging arm bushes can be obtained from the following sources although will need modifiying.
    For Roadsters & Scottish with round s/arm from Robush, Gull Farm, Grundisborough, Suffolk IP13 6RN tel. 01473 738569 web site http://www.robush.co.uk/ they also have an online catalogue. The bushes are slightly shorter in length so will need additional spacers.
    For the square section s/arm on the Anglian & later scramblers a modified Land Rover shackle bush part number 548205 can be used. It needs to be reduced in length & hole opened up to 0.625" so you need the use of a lathe.
    Bushes are available from Land Rover parts stockist at around £3 each
    Last edited by John Wakefield; 31/03/2010, 01:53 PM.

Swinging Arm Bushes.

Thanks for that useful post John.

As you'll remember, I was looking into this myself a few months ago and I was provided some very handy info in the form of a copy of an 'original' Metalastik (swinging arm) bush spec chart. I thought this could be useful for members to have for additional reference, and the following info from that chart is for ROUND type swinging arm bushes (i.e. suitable for Roadster and Scottish);

PART NO. 13/1612
    I.D. (bore) .437 ins.
    O.D. .875 ins.
    LENGTH (OUTER SLEEVE) 1.500 ins.
    LENGTH (INNER SLEEVE) 1.750 ins.

TORSIONAL; Rate 455 lb. ins./rad - Max Torque 90 lb. ins. - Deflection 11.5 deg. AXIAL; Rate 3,700 lb./ins. - Max Load 160 lb. - Defelection .043 ins. RADIAL; Rate 70,000 lb./ins. - Max Load 770 lb. - Maximum Deflection .011 ins.

From looking at these dimensions, and I'm assuming here that the inner and outer sleeves of the bushes available currently are the same length, then two .125 ins. thickness spacers would therefore be needed (1 for each side of the bush), with their I.D./O.D. the same as the inner sleeve.

Also, I'm assuming that the bushes listed above "superceeded" the 'original' part No. which was 13/683 (M/A101) according to my Greeves parts list.

Further, as I understand it the torsional, radial and axial loading info (as given above) is often 'summarised' as a 'shore' rating (the hardness/stiffness of the rubber),
    with 70 shore being standard for my bike (1959/60 24TCS Scottish.) I've seen 60 shore swinging arm bushes to suit Greeves advertised in the past, but don't suppose there's that much in it. Information I have for fork bushes shows that several different shore ratings could be specified originally, with 40 shore being 'soft', 50 shore being 'standard' and 60 shore being 'hard'.

Finally, do you by any chance know the current 'Robush' part number for these bushes please John?

Thanks again,

Brian.
    Last edited by Brian Thompson; 07/06/2010, 04:04 PM.

Comment

I think its RB 3700 the Robush page for these bushes is currently unavailable so I cannot check
      Last edited by John Wakefield; 31/03/2010, 11:47 PM.

Comment

S/A Bushes

John is spot on with the Land Rover Bushes however, the O/D also needs to be turned down, this is the tricky part, I don`t know what they are made of but it is a sod to turn, take small two/three thou cuts and keep the coolent running, (or you heat the rubber) use a center, off the top of my head I think the outer wall comes down to about 37/38 thou so 1 thou cuts to finish, I have done a few and still spend three hours+ to make a pair. Also use a press to insert them (not a hammer) as I say the wall is thin, once they are inplace and held by the S/A, they work, not ideal, but Beggers can`t be choosers !!
        Oh and just to make it more interesting, parting-off to legnth two tubes, with a section of rubber between them is real fun.
        Last edited by Sprocket; 16/04/2010, 10:17 AM.

Comment

New ready to fit Swinging Arm Bushes.

Well done for all the help and advise offered gents. I was speaking with Terry Sewell on Sunday at the first of this years Greeves rounds at Sproxton, I needed his help with a part to keep me going, the subject of Bushes cropped up and he mentioned that he has had two batches of ready to fit Swinging Arm bushes made to suit our Greeves bikes. For those who don't know Terry, he runs TDS Services and can be contacted on 01375 675857. I remembered reading an article on the Forum and thought this info to be helpful. I hope I haven't contravened any rules by doing so!

Adrian

Comment

Originally posted by ADickerson View Post
            I hope I haven't contravened any rules by doing so!
            No problem Adrian, useful info!

Nice to see you on here, by the way...
            Colin Sparrow

Comment

Phew! Thanks Colin, it was a pleasure losing my virginity!

Comment

Thanks everyone, I've just ordered a pair from Terry-nice one!

Comment

Bushes arrived today, and they're 'spot-on'!

Thanks very much Terry, great service.

Brian.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Brian Thompson; 08/05/2010, 04:28 PM. Reason: Pic added as attachment.

Comment

Swingarm Bushes.

Following a recent query on sourcing some for a roadster on another thread, here's some contact info for where you can get some from (scroll down the page, last item but one);

TDS Classic Off Road Motorcycles spares and accessories. Your one stop shop for everything Pre 65 Classic Off Road Motorcycles including engine parts, mudguards, frame accessories, engine parts for BSA, Greeves, Norton, Villiers, griffon engines, amal carburettors, clothes, boots, helmets, gloves, handlebars.

Brian.
                    Last edited by Brian Thompson; 29/03/2015, 05:30 PM. Reason: Link added.

Comment

Working...
                    X