Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clutch plates for a 36MX4, and other Greeves.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch plates for a 36MX4, and other Greeves.

Following on from Australian member Geoff Lemar's thread on engine and gearbox questions about his 36MX4, in a recent email he has asked if I can possibly help him source new clutch plates for his bike.

Here is Geoff's query to me in his own words;

"My gear box is all back together and back in the bike when we were doing it we noticed only one of the clutch plates had the drive lugs on it, so that old plate is doing all the work !!! Can you get clutch plates still or reproduction plates? If so can you please let me know the availability and some prices? This looks like the last hurdle I need to get over before I can start riding the old girl."

Bearing in mind where Geoff lives, I had a quick search on the internet and discovered that 'Barnett' (www.barnettclutches.com), available worldwide and covering just about every bike there is, list replacement clutch plates for the following models under 'Greeves-Villers' on their website;

Challenger MX 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 3B, 5B, 6B

Part No. 301-28-50001 - Bonded clutch plate- Alloy

They cost around 5 to 10 US dollars each, and the handy thing is that there are several dealers near to his location in Western Australia, so hopefully they can help him out and save a bit of postage from the UK.

I am going to give Nametab Engineering (type Nametab Engineering into your internet search bar for contact details) and Villiers Services (www.villiersservices.co.uk) a call next week after the Bank Holiday on Geoff's behalf, just in case he doesn't have any joy his end. In the meantime does anyone please know of a source of 36MX4 plates in the UK, or better still in Australia?

On a final note, I know that 'Surflex' produce clutch plates for Villiers engined bikes, and are pretty widely available over here in the UK including from the sources shown above. Have a look at www.surflexclutches.com for more info.

I've passed this info on to Geoff but thought I'd share it here too in case it's of any use to other members.

Thanks all,

Brian.
    Last edited by Brian Thompson; 29/05/2010, 10:37 AM.

Clutch plates.

Hi Brian,

Frank Conley still may have Barnett clutch plates in stock.

Geoff, if you could locate a 5 spline Griffon clutch, you would have a much more durable clutch, I have one fitted on my 360.

Regards,

Kenny Sykes
    Last edited by Brian Thompson; 29/05/2010, 08:23 PM. Reason: Remove quote to tidy up post, and copy text to pass on to Geoff as I'm sending him an email in a while.

Comment

Clutch plates.

Cheers Kenny, great tip!

As I'm just in the process of emailing Geoff, I'll copy your helpful post and include it for him.

Thanks again,

Brian.
      Last edited by Brian Thompson; 29/05/2010, 08:22 PM. Reason: Speeling....agin!

Comment

360 clutch

Thanks kenny I will look out for one in my travels its good to know these things, So for now I will use standard ones. Thanks to Brian I have a couple of options to chase over here in AUS !! Its great to the forum again working so well . Thanks again to you both, regards Geoff

Comment

Greeves clutch plates around the world!

+ !!!

Comment

I have always used the standard clutch on my 360, and never had any trouble, as it is Albion R. E. plates and springs fit perfectly. Also much cheaper than that elusive 5 spline Griffon clutch. The original alloy friction plates were prone to there engaging splines shearing off with the inevitable slippery result.

Comment

Great tip Stormer, thanks for that!

Comment

Working...
              X