Greeves Back Into Service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greeves Back Into Service

Well as in the title really, my newly acquired Greeves, which is thought to be a Wessex with a total conversion to an Anglian, is now after a total strip and refurb ready for action again. The bike, for many years has been sat in a collection. I managed to buy this one from the very kind gentleman who was reluctant to sell but was in full favour of the bike being put back into action. So she is now ready and is entered in her first trial this Sunday at Thorrington, Essex. I am a member of the Eastern Fourstroke Association and their trials are all about Pre 65/70. In fact most clubs in the Norfolk and Suffolk area cater very well for pre 65/70 bikes. The bike has the Ceriani forks which work well but I have upgraded the springs to the progressive type. New rear adjustable shocks by NJB set at 330 mm length with very little sag and 40lbs springs work really nicely. I have now ridden the bike at my local trials ground and I can report after a few adjustments here and there it is riding really well. I will also add that this Greeves does handle equally as well as my 156cc Fantic 200 which I ride most weekends. It does perform much better than the Fantic on step hill sections and that second gear is just amazing. Very pleased with the bike certainly looking forward to the first trial and getting this bike (as promised to the previous owner) back into service as it was designed and made for. Not only is the bike a pre- 70 so is the rider.
    More later.
    Regards, Ken Carroll. New GRA Member.
    One Life Live it

Well done Ken, hope you have fun on it.

I expect Rob will upgrade your forum status to 'GRA Member' when he reads this - if not just send him a reminder, and you'll be able to see the posts in the Members Only section which are hidden to non-members.

AndyB
    Membership Secretary

Comment

Originally posted by AndyB View Post
      Well done Ken, hope you have fun on it.

I expect Rob will upgrade your forum status to 'GRA Member' when he reads this - if not just send him a reminder, and you'll be able to see the posts in the Members Only section which are hidden to non-members.

AndyB
      Membership Secretary
      Cheers Andy, I would love to post a couple of pictures maybe when I get upgraded it will happen.
      I have sent an email asking for the upgrade to GRA. I am sure it will happen. The AGM will be taking precedence at the moment.
      Ken
      One Life Live it

Comment

Well it all went WELL bike ran just amazing.
        10 sections 4 laps =40 sections.
        Conditions very muddy a few streams to cross or ride up, slight rain but very warm. The bike was well received and she looked just amazing all shiny and ready to go. I think I might have dropped 48 points which was ok for our first ride.
        I was slightly tired the last lap which I think contributed to maybe 10 of those points being lost. Lap 3 and 4 the grip was almost gone in most sections due to the heavy mud.
        So all in all very pleasing and the bike is a dream to ride.
        Looking forward to next week as we are out again doing battle.
        Regards All, Ken.
        Hope your AGM went well.
        One Life Live it

Comment

Superb debut then, Ken. Very well done keeping the Greeves flag flying. Good luck next time out too. Thanks for keeping us posted.
          JR

Comment

Hi, glad you ride went well and that you learn the bike's abilities quickly and improve your scores.
            The AGM went well, although somewhat damp outside. Several of us had "near 5s" in the hall, which has a strange well in the floor for the majority of the seating. There are 3 steps down into the well and for next year, I will suggest we use some tree roots and some nice gooey clay on the stepped areas to ensure that we feel more at home.....I'm not sure if this local Council owned hall complies with building regs!

Comment

Originally posted by johnrunnacles View Post
              Superb debut then, Ken. Very well done keeping the Greeves flag flying. Good luck next time out too. Thanks for keeping us posted.
              JR
              Cheers John, loved the ride of the bike. My mods to the front forks and rear shocks certainly helped with the handling.
              One Life Live it

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Catt View Post
                Hi, glad you ride went well and that you learn the bike's abilities quickly and improve your scores.
                The AGM went well, although somewhat damp outside. Several of us had "near 5s" in the hall, which has a strange well in the floor for the majority of the seating. There are 3 steps down into the well and for next year, I will suggest we use some tree roots and some nice gooey clay on the stepped areas to ensure that we feel more at home.....I'm not sure if this local Council owned hall complies with building regs!
                Very good, pleased it went well. I would really have liked to attended maybe next year especially if there is a bit of mud about.
                One Life Live it

Comment

There we are Supergrandad, you are upgraded! Glad you like riding your Anglian, they are great fun to ride. I tripped over the frame of an Anglian for about 30 years until one day, I put it together and used it instead of my 350 Bullet! I thoroughly enjoy riding it. I run 14 / 60 gearing with standard 20T primary. That is not nearly as low as some of the buzz saws you get around the place with about 60:1 first gear! For Long Distance trials, I drop the back sprocket to a 56T.

Anyway, welcome to the club and I may even meet you at a trial one day!

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post
                    There we are Supergrandad, you are upgraded! Glad you like riding your Anglian, they are great fun to ride. I tripped over the frame of an Anglian for about 30 years until one day, I put it together and used it instead of my 350 Bullet! I thoroughly enjoy riding it. I run 14 / 60 gearing with standard 20T primary. That is not nearly as low as some of the buzz saws you get around the place with about 60:1 first gear! For Long Distance trials, I drop the back sprocket to a 56T.

Anyway, welcome to the club and I may even meet you at a trial one day!
                    Thanks Rob I will get some pictures sorted. Interesting to read your gearing choice.I will be in touch later this week and maybe we could have a chat about getting a trial sorted for the Greeves bikes. (Shame the Greeves Green Fibre Glass Tank is degraded it looks really nice on the bike. But I think the Alloy tank works for now )Ken.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	Greeves Ready 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	60919

Click image for larger version

Name:	Greeves Ready.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	60920
                    Last edited by Supergrandad; 11/04/2018, 08:54 AM.
                    One Life Live it

Comment

Few Picture of the bike first trial for many years.

Hope you like the pictures This is the bikes first trial for many years.
                      My first of what hopefully will be many more.
                      Ken
                      For those that want to view my albums there are a few Pictures there now various Bike related. Enjoy
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Supergrandad; 11/04/2018, 07:56 PM.
                      One Life Live it

Comment

Struggled a little with the bike this last few weeks. I could not really get it running really sweet. The carb has been all over the place. I have re jetted and played with every setting you could imagine. I bit the bullet and fitted a new Amal 626 wow what a difference it is like a new bike. Very pleasing results.
                        The bike is spot on now and riding and running really well. Next trial 6th May.
                        One Life Live it

Comment

I'm liking the b&w pics with the camera on the slant Ken,- very moody

I've had similar carb issues on the griffon. Been messing around with a totally refurbished mk2 amal to no avail. A new mk 1 carb solved all the fuelling issues instantly. Theres a lesson in there somewhere....

Comment

Ideal Dave 5 miles from my daughters place, may contact you

Comment

Originally posted by Dick F View Post
                              Ideal Dave 5 miles from my daughters place, may contact you
                              DickF Have you replied here instead of another thread. ? Ken
                              One Life Live it

Comment

Working...
                              X