No announcement yet.

Electrix World ignition system.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Took the bike to the local garage for MOT and just about made it! Following my retarding the ignition, it ran hotter than ever and just about made it!

Back at base (with new MOT but unrideable bike!), I checked the timing and depending on whether you set to the 'FA' mark at 4.36 mm BTDC or the 'T' mark at TDC, the backplate varied by 5 mm - can't be right! Phoned Peter at Electrex - he agreed that both marks should end up at the same point - he thought the FA mark was probably wrong, everybody uses the T mark and it will work OK!

Strobing not easy - inductive pick strobe does not work over about 2000 rpm due to short spark duration and Peter recommends a cheapo one but they all seem to be the inductive type - some ads state 'not for use on motorcycles'!

Tried the T mark, still running hot with the silencer paint almost smoking! Thinks - it's got all the signs of being retarded. Having spent all morning with timing disks, DTI's etc and getting nowhere, I simply advanced it and stuck the backplate somewhere in the middle with a view to getting it kicking back or something and working from there.

Hey presto, a miracle occurs - it seems to be running fine - getting nowhere near so hot so we will see what happens! Measured the settings - about 4.60 mm BTDC on the FA mark and about 0.15 mm BTDC on the T mark. I'm not convinced its worth taking much notice of any of the marks.

Dick F tried it this afternoon and reckoned it was much better than when he rode it last week with better pick-up. Also starts first kick and ticks over and runs a lot cooler.

If it works, I'm not touching it again. Will it survive the Perce Simon followed by the Downland Trophy this weekend?! I'm still putting the Enfield in the van as Plan B!

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post
      Took the bike to the local garage for MOT and just about made it! Following my retarding the ignition, it ran hotter than ever and just about made it!

Back at base (with new MOT but unrideable bike!), I checked the timing and depending on whether you set to the 'FA' mark at 4.36 mm BTDC or the 'T' mark at TDC, the backplate varied by 5 mm - can't be right! Phoned Peter at Electrex - he agreed that both marks should end up at the same point - he thought the FA mark was probably wrong, everybody uses the T mark and it will work OK!

Strobing not easy - inductive pick strobe does not work over about 2000 rpm due to short spark duration and Peter recommends a cheapo one but they all seem to be the inductive type - some ads state 'not for use on motorcycles'!

Tried the T mark, still running hot with the silencer paint almost smoking! Thinks - it's got all the signs of being retarded. Having spent all morning with timing disks, DTI's etc and getting nowhere, I simply advanced it and stuck the backplate somewhere in the middle with a view to getting it kicking back or something and working from there.

Hey presto, a miracle occurs - it seems to be running fine - getting nowhere near so hot so we will see what happens! Measured the settings - about 4.60 mm BTDC on the FA mark and about 0.15 mm BTDC on the T mark. I'm not convinced its worth taking much notice of any of the marks.

Dick F tried it this afternoon and reckoned it was much better than when he rode it last week with better pick-up. Also starts first kick and ticks over and runs a lot cooler.

If it works, I'm not touching it again. Will it survive the Perce Simon followed by the Downland Trophy this weekend?! I'm still putting the Enfield in the van as Plan B!
      One would have thought the manufacturers would have sorted this sort of thing out before putting it on the market, let face it they cost the earth for a few bits of electronics. Black mark for Electrex World. I am sticking to old fashion points, at least you can time it easily.

Comment

Working...
      X