X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting scrambler for sale on Ebay

Is this a Hawkstone?

Not really

The hawkstone name was last used on the 1961 SCS iron barreled Hawkstone.. The top of range scrambler for 1961 was the MCS ( moto cross special ) which was a replica of Dave Bickers European championship winning bike! ( Not called world championship at that stage )
    Then in 1962 came the MDS which ran to 1964 when the Mx1 challenger came along..

The ME of circa 1963 used the MDS cycle parts but used the then new and unproven star maker engine complete with twin carbs!! The bike was a flop due to teething troubles with the new motor and Greeves only made around 80 of these machines.. Greeves were already well on with development of the challenger motor..

This bike looks like the machine campaigned to great effect by Steve salmon from devises.. (It is the bike.. Lots of mods and very quick)

As to the Greeves championship of today.. You can ride this in the hawkstone class in the championship (pre64) but I would not personally call it a hawkstone.. Just an ME..

Regards

Scott
    Last edited by scott151; 02/08/2017, 10:22 PM.

Comment

According to the machine identification the 24ME started at number 102, this one is number 84. So is it a pre production one or a fake. Should have leading link forks http://www.earlyyearsofmx.com/images...0STARMAKER.jpg
      Stamping looks a bit inconsistent in size ie smaller 2 and M E
      The seller Darren Sparks is a dealer t/a Sparks Cars Ltd of Hove https://companycheck.co.uk/company/0...ies-house-data (lots of other bikes and cars for sale) and does not appear to have 'proper' premises, the address of the firm is his accountants he lives in Henfield. Also he is not listed as a business seller on eBay
      Last edited by John Wakefield; 03/08/2017, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Someone's stamped up an unstamped 'beam. Nice enough machine but not a genuine 24ME I'm afraid. Doubt if it was the seller - he can't even spell "Greeves"!
        Colin Sparrow

Comment

Originally posted by Colin Sparrow View Post
          Someone's stamped up an unstamped 'beam. Nice enough machine but not a genuine 24ME I'm afraid. Doubt if it was the seller - he can't even spell "Greeves"!
          Just out of interest Colin, how would an unstamped beam come into someone's possession, I can understand later frames being in the domain when Greeves finally closed but surely all early beams would be utilised
          Last edited by Colin Sparrow; 04/08/2017, 06:38 AM.

Comment

I knew a chap who purchased a brand new 58 hawkstone and crashed it into a tree on his farm.. He purchased a new unstamped beam from Greeves and that's how it stayed.. The bike was sadly stolen from his barn around the year 2003.. It was totally original but minus the tank badges and seat..such a shame.

Comment

The 24 ME number range was 24ME 106 - 24ME 155 according to club records. Not sure if any were ever exported?

It might not be a proper ME but it sounds like it goes OK!

Comment

Originally posted by MarkM View Post
                Just out of interest Colin, how would an unstamped beam come into someone's possession, I can understand later frames being in the domain when Greeves finally closed but surely all early beams would be utilised
                Unstamped beams would be supplied to dealers to repair accident-damaged machines. They do exist.
                Colin Sparrow

Comment

My TCS frame was blank.
                  The bike came with original paper work, from dealer, number plate, and old Tax disks.
                  At the Time, Andrew King suggested it was a replacement frame. he said to stamp the number on the paperwork.
                  which I did..
                  I exported it to Australia. It made the Customs paperwork easier, than the blank frame.

whitehillbilly

Comment

Rob, we have had various stories about MEs on the Nicholson Motors page on Facebook. Basically they sold a number but had a lot of aggro trying to get the bikes running right in the US conditions. Apparently Villiers did not supply a mechanic with every bike like they did to the works teams here!

Comment

Thanks Brian. Wonder if any survive and if we could get the numbers somehow?

Comment

Rob......stand by for a shock.......I have a gent in the USA with 2 24 MEs. Chassis numbers 136 and 193.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Blimey that was cheap!,

I thought that would have made more than just shy of £1800.. Maybe the silly spelling mistake made it hard to find???

The buyer got a cracking and sorted bike for the money..

Comment

"Reserve not met" so it didn't sell

Comment

Sorry didn't see that

I thought it sold..

Comment

Working...
                              X