No announcement yet.

greeves help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice bit of detective work there 'trailrider', just goes to show that not all info is in the dispatch records. LEY112C (an Isle of Anglesey reg.) is not currently on the DVLA computer but its worth contacting them as it may be in their archived records as the bike has been un licenced for many years. Contact DVLA on 0300 790 6802
    Last edited by John Wakefield; 02/12/2016, 01:47 PM. Reason: Anglesey added

Comment

Originally posted by trialrider17 View Post
      Craig, I had a 1966 Anglian with the frame number 24TG 375 which was unusual as no S , after speaking to Andrew King about it it turned out to be a bike for Ally Cameron in the 1966 SSDT with a 150cc engine . Andrew found it on list of bikes on loan from the competition department I also have a copy of this list, your bike is also on this list , 24TF 357 reg number LEY112C was on loan to M/C/I (dont know who that is) date of loan 24.4.65 engine number appears to be 453D19830 photo copy not very clear . So it looks like your bike has quite a bit of history so I would keep it as is .Hope this helpful and maybe assist with getting original reg ?.If you would like a copy of list let me know and I will email to you.
      Simon
      Simon Could the registration be LEV 112C as that's a 1965 Essex mark which would be more likely a number used by Greeves. Again thats not on the DVLA but original licencing record would be at Essex Records Office http://www.essexrecordoffice.co.uk/
      LEY Angelsey series was not issued till 1969 (H) see http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/registrations/ey.htm
      Whereas LEV with a 'C' suffix was issued in March 1965
      Last edited by John Wakefield; 02/12/2016, 02:52 PM.

Comment

that is news I was hoping for thankyou and I would like a copy aroomwithaview@tiscali.co.uk I will hold fire on the triumph idea until next year (I have a ariel keeping me busy for now)

Comment

i don't think this is weld

Comment

what is this angle iron for ? its part of the rear plates

Comment

John photo of list looks to me as LEY112C but it could be a V as all the writing on the list is hard to read.
              If you look at the bike 3 up from that is my old bike reg OVW65D and the V does look a bit like a Y ?
              Simon
              Attached Files

Comment

Me thinks it more likely to be a TE

Comment

No not TE a TF that's what it says on the tin
                  Last edited by trialrider17; 02/12/2016, 05:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by trialrider17 View Post
                    John photo of list looks to me as LEY112C but it could be a V as all the writing on the list is hard to read.
                    If you look at the bike 3 up from that is my old bike reg OVW65D and the V does look a bit like a Y ?
                    Simon
                    The writing is poor, but I am sure its a V rather than Y. Looking at the other decipherable registrations, all are Essex marks. One in particular which looks like MXY 8C (24IN175) is MEV 8C to John Pease for 66 ISDT
                    Last edited by John Wakefield; 02/12/2016, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by craig View Post
                      Angle iron is for two screws which push onto gearbox, not sure why these were needed as the engine/gearbox bolts directly to engine plates with no slots for movement

Comment

before you get sick of answering my questions , whats the hole in the top of the cases for ?

Comment

The hole in the crankcase.....

Hi Craig,

The hole is there to accomodate the carb float bowl in some applications (see Villiers 9e engine in pic 1 below.)

Where a different carb/manifold arrangement was used, there was often a cover plate fitted (see pic 2 below.)

I've uploaded loads of info that would be really useful for you in the 'Member's Only' areas of the forum, but you'll need to be a fully paid up GRA member (and get Chairman Rob to upgrade your forum status from 'Basic' to 'GRA Member') to access it (and you'll be able to post pics etc). There are lots of other benefits too, including one of the best club mags around, as well as access to all the help and advice you could ever need with your Greeves. It's well worth considering.....

Good luck with your Greeves Craig and hope it gives you a lot of fun!

...oh, and welcome aboard!

Brian.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Brian Thompson; 02/12/2016, 08:44 PM. Reason: Pics attached.

Comment

Here, for comparison purposes is a shot of the frame number on my 24TFS - possibly within 10 machines of Craig's bike.

Note the pristine casting - Greeves 'beams were shell-moulded, you don't see casting faults in them. The stamping font is similar - particularly the distinctive "5" - but draw your own conclusions.

Something a bit weird going on here, but it is a Greeves all right, we should be able to authenticate it - once we've seen it.

Craig, a fellow in Japan is looking for a 32A - I've made enquiries on here for him. If you want to sell your engine I can put you in touch.

Should get a good price I imagine.
                            Attached Files
                            Colin Sparrow

Comment

thanks , looks like I wont be able to register it for the road without the records , pitty , I will take a closer look at the numbers I'm not sure its weld and not some sort of casting blip

I think those pictures must clinch it. It is a 24TFS.
                              Colin Sparrow

Comment

This too was part of the standard set-up on the TFS. It is visible in the factory photos. I have to confess that on my bike I thought it was a later bodge and removed it. Never mind, my TFS won't be particularly standard anyway.

Goodness knows why Greeves thought it was necessary.
                                Colin Sparrow

Comment

Working...
                                X