No announcement yet.

greeves help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

triumphgreeves65@yahoo.co.uk there is a problem with this address , mail fail etc , I did recive your email but no attachments , can you send again

Comment

If it was a USA export it wont appear in the UK dispatch records, the export records were destroyed and the club only has the UK ones.
      If it was a UK bike then the engine number should appear in the records alongside the frame number that it was fitted to. Maybe someone with the dispatch records could have a look.

Comment

thankyou (again) do you know who holds the records ?

Comment

Several people have a copy, hopefully one of them will come back on it.

Comment

Originally posted by craig View Post
            triumphgreeves65@yahoo.co.uk there is a problem with this address , mail fail etc , I did recive your email but no attachments , can you send again
            thanks got the pics , its a problem this end with sending emails , would you have a copy of the engine plates you used , it looks good

Comment

thanks my email is aroomwithaview@tiscali.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
                As Phil suggests a TE, I think its a poorly stamped E so yes 24TE357. Does it have a registration number or V5C?
                Engine No 453D4130 is a 32A supplied to Greeves for 24TE, TES & TFS
                The speedo binnacle points to a USA spec, presumably why its not in UK despatch records.
                The clincher would surely be the footrest attachment. On the TFS, in order to improve ground clearance, Greeves did away with the sub-frame which supported the footrests on the TES and as a result had to go to a cable-operated back brake. The footrest supports were screwed direct to the ends of the swing-arm pivot spindle. The bike in Craig's photo appears to have this feature.

The speedo binnacle was fitted to all TFS models, home or export.

I couldn't see anything that fitted in the dispatch records - which is why I asked if Craig was in the UK - for all we knew he and the bike could be abroad somewhere. Except that now we know he has a uk email address.

I have 24TFS 385. It has engine no 453DC 4223 - the original.
                Last edited by Colin Sparrow; 02/12/2016, 08:53 AM.
                Colin Sparrow

Comment

Done a bit more digging in the records:

24TE 356 had 453D 2758 (no 24TE 357 appears) (1963)

24TES 357 had 453D 3161 (1963)

24 TFS 359 had 453DC 4129 (no 24TFS 357 appears) (1965)

My bet would be repatriated export TFS.

Interesting, isn't it?
                  Colin Sparrow

Comment

Fairly conclusive evidence there Colin that it is a 1965 TFS, but there is still the question of the frame number. Craig says there is evidence of welding around the number, so maybe the beam cracked & the number was re stamped after welding without the 'S'.
                    Last edited by John Wakefield; 02/12/2016, 10:56 AM. Reason: 1965 added

Comment

thanks , looks like I wont be able to register it for the road without the records , pitty , I will take a closer look at the numbers I'm not sure its weld and not some sort of casting blip

Last edited by craig; 02/12/2016, 10:48 AM.

Comment

Yes you will be able to get it road registered, the club should be able to issue a dating certificate, then its a case of filling in a V55 (Application for first registration form) with the appropriate fee & you will get an age related 'C' suffix number. The club dating officer is John Collard (aka 'druid') on here.
                        Might be a good idear to stamp in the missing 'S' before you proceed so that that it ties in correctly with records & DVLA record frame number as 24TFS357.
                        Looking at the stamping again the TF looks original with the 24 & 357 in larger font. As I said in previous post looks like that part of the number got obliterated with welding & was re stamped. To my knowledge there was never a 24TF
                        Last edited by John Wakefield; 02/12/2016, 11:10 AM.

Comment

thankyou , I will think about this as I am not keen to alter any frame numbers just incase at a later date some history comes along and ive ruined it , I am looking at ways to have the frame scanned xray to see if there is anything going on , will let you know , unfortunately it has made my mind up as to what I will be doing with the bike and its the triumph engine route , I'm not a big two stroke fan but would have saved the machine if all had been as should be .

Comment

Might be worth having an expert look at that welding, if its a repair then best to find another alloy beam, you dont want the front end breaking off especially with a Triumph engine fitted.

Comment

Ndt

Just a reminder that the aluminium is cast around the steel tube of the steering head assembly. I have never heard of a steering head cracking. The down beams are known to bend and break under severe stress.

I think it would be a good idea to get the steering head x rayed, or crack detected. That said, x raying may not show what you are looking for, or expecting.

Either way get at least one opinion from a fellow Greeves owner as to whether the steering head has, or has not been welded and restamped.

Adding a Triumph engine will quite obviously increase the weight of the machine. However, properly engineered installation will actually make the frame stiffer.

Comment

Craig, I had a 1966 Anglian with the frame number 24TG 375 which was unusual as no S , after speaking to Andrew King about it it turned out to be a bike for Ally Cameron in the 1966 SSDT with a 150cc engine . Andrew found it on list of bikes on loan from the competition department I also have a copy of this list, your bike is also on this list , 24TF 357 reg number LEY112C was on loan to M/C/I (dont know who that is) date of loan 24.4.65 engine number appears to be 453D19830 photo copy not very clear . So it looks like your bike has quite a bit of history so I would keep it as is .Hope this helpful and maybe assist with getting original reg ?.If you would like a copy of list let me know and I will email to you.
                                Simon

Comment

Working...
                                X