No announcement yet.

Colin's new book on Greeves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keith, there are various alternatives to keep in touch via modern media. I use Facebook almost continuously for various interests and there are several Greeves interest pages on there. One is run by our lovely Tammy Lynn called Greeves Motorcycle Enthusiasts and the other goes by the name of Nicholson Motors and cater mainly for the US competition scene. All you have to do is enroll and join one of these or form your own call Greeves Road bikes or similar. All you have to do then is persuade all the other enthusiast to join you on that page. See my page "ISDT photos by cattspeed".

Comment

In the introduction I do say (page 8) that for a number of reason the photographs should only be seen as a starting point, and that anyone contemplating a restoration should undertake more research. So hopefully no one will treat the book illustrations as a definitive guide. Having said that many of the bikes are indeed "right", especially the early ones.

As I explained, the publisher wanted lots of colour; most of the factory shots are black and white, so I had to embark on finding and photographing appropriate bikes.

As Keith says, there is a good collection of factory photographs. Unfortunately they do not include every single model, so a publication based on those would still not be complete.

Maybe I could put together what we do have as a publication for GRA members. I could always ask the membership and on the forum if they can help fill any gaps. Now, do I have the time..?

By the way, has anyone got a really nice original-looking 24TFS reasonably near to East Anglia, that I could take a few shots of?
      Colin Sparrow

Comment

Hi keith, why not have a go, the book that is! peoples opinions are just that...opinions, road bikes are not my thing, but there is a definate lack of factual info on roadbikes on the forum, as i see it... again my opinion.
        I will say one thing though, originality is fine, but enjoying a bike, for what it is, is what its all about for most riders, & like you pointed out, all the people in the know are gone, so who`s to say whats right & wrong....
        Bit of a double edged sword, resto/show bikes, they look very nice, but a damn shame they never get used...

Comment

No reason why it can't be done both ways. Original and what needs to be used in the "modern environment".

Comment

Originally posted by Colin Sparrow View Post
            In the introduction I do say (page 8) that for a number of reason the photographs should only be seen as a starting point, and that anyone contemplating a restoration should undertake more research. So hopefully no one will treat the book illustrations as a definitive guide. Having said that many of the bikes are indeed "right", especially the early ones.

As I explained, the publisher wanted lots of colour; most of the factory shots are black and white, so I had to embark on finding and photographing appropriate bikes.

As Keith says, there is a good collection of factory photographs. Unfortunately they do not include every single model, so a publication based on those would still not be complete.

Maybe I could put together what we do have as a publication for GRA members. I could always ask the membership and on the forum if they can help fill any gaps. Now, do I have the time..?

By the way, has anyone got a really nice original-looking 24TFS reasonably near to East Anglia, that I could take a few shots of?
            Please don't think that I was critising your book.I have nothing but admiration for the effort that you must have put into it.As I said ,I spent 30 years getting the correct exhaust due to a lack of original photos.

Comment

Simply Magnificent Colin

I just got my copy Colin, and it is Phenomenal, Magnificent, and simply AWESOME!

Hats off to you, I cant even begin to imagine the time and work put into it, it definitely shows!

I especially feel you hit every single aspect of the Greeves history and place in the world today!

Its all about keeping the Greeves history alive and making a place for them in todays world.

Lets face it, even Frank admitted that usually you brought it home and either immediately removed bits and pieces or added bits, we still do it today. I look at the mods done by previous owners as part of the bikes own personal history, and sometimes I like to keep her history showing.

As Brian said...no reason it can't be both ways, original and modern too.
              I personally love mine to be as original as possible, but also like keeping bits that were added over the years to keep them on the road.
              Also, I like taking mine out on the trails, sometimes and most recently my S25's are just completely tapped, warped body's...so to keep them on the trails, I have to add Amals and such, it's worth it to me.
              I keep the old S25's and slap them on if I do a show.

I enjoy seeing the ole gals around and out, I don't let my opinions spoil anyone's style, I'm just tickled to see a Greeves period

Thanks for a beyond excellent book Colin!!
              Tammy

Comment

Working...
              X