This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greeves Art!

I've always admired the 'ahead of it's time' advertising and marketing approach adopted by Greeves (DPC sure knew his stuff!), especially some of the graphics and artwork employed in the design of printed materials. This links in to my previous career as a printer and graphic designer 'back in the day', and I've got some cracking examples (in my opinion!) in my collection that I thought it would be nice to share here.

Some are taken directly from Greeves factory advertising brochures, and required a fair bit of 're-working' (with pen and ink and on computer) to tidy them up. Some were also very small originally, so they needed a good bit of sharpening up when enlarged. GRA members will recognise a few of the images as I also used them in the design of the 'GRA Member Survey' flyer from 2009, with the rest coming from a variety of sources. I have also found several examples of 'original' artwork penned by fellow Greeves enthusiasts over the years, a nice extra dimension to add to an already absorbing and enjoyable hobby.

Anyway, here's a few examples to get things rolling. Hope you like them!

The first image of OBG on the Silverstone appeared in various editions of 'Greeves Times', a factory produced publication (containing contemporary marketing material, news, model pics and specs etc.) given out as a 'flyer' at the bike shows and trade events. The second is a contemporary 'cartoon' illustration from an article in a long defunct magazine. The third illustration is a factory image used in several early brochures and the fourth illustration is from the factory TE/TES brochure (rider unknown). The final illustration of Dave Bickers appears in the factory MDS ('Moto Cross Special') brochure.

Brian.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Brian Thompson; 16/10/2010, 10:35 PM. Reason: Image orientations corrected.

More Greeves Art.

Here's a few more examples, this time of more general 'non-factory' artwork from a variety of sources.

The line drawing of the 24TCS (final pic in this sequence) is one I drew myself, inspired by Don Heath's fine illustrations used on the GRA mugs over the years. As many of you will know, Don has produced many superb peices of artwork over the the years, for both GRA printed materials on behalf of the club and for his own leisure *. His excellent skills and ideas have been a great inspiration to me with my own humble efforts-thanks Don!

(* Update! See posts 5,6,7 and 8 of this thread!)

Brian.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Brian Thompson; 18/10/2010, 12:05 AM.

Comment

More examples of Greeves Art.

Here's a nice pencil drawing and a few watercolours I came across to add to my collection. I wish I could use watercolours as well as these artists! I think it gives a really nice effect to the subject. The painting of 'DR' is quite interesting and a bit 'different', don't you think? I like it! I couldn't resist adding the final pic....it says it all really, and is one of my all time favourites!

Brian.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Brian Thompson; 16/10/2010, 10:36 PM. Reason: Pic added.

Comment

Here's a few more!

Don't know about anyone else, but I find these old line drawings (especially the engine diagrams in old manuals and magazines) things of great craftsmanship and beauty. There is something so special about a pen and ink drawing, all done by the hand of an artist and not via a computer program....they are simply timeless, and had 'personality' as well as being (in the most part) of incredible detail and accuracy.

I include the pic of the red Challenger simply because I think it's so charming. It not might be a great work of art, but it IS a work of great enthusiasm, and in my view that's all that matters-nice one!

The last image is a 'cleaned-up' version of the box artwork for the Protar 1:9 scale Greeves 36MX4 model kit. It took me a while to track one down (and to clean up the image on my graphics program...) but I found one in the end...these kits are getting very scarce indeed now. (More on that in a future thread....watch this space!)
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Brian Thompson; 07/08/2010, 12:42 PM. Reason: Pic added.

Comment

Don Heath's Watercolours (post 1 of 2.)

I spoke with Don on the phone earlier today, and I'm delighted to say that he has very kindly given me his permission (and full encouragment) to post his beautiful Greeves watercolour paintings here on the forum as part of this thread! Don generously sent me copies of his paintings some time ago, and I've carefully 'tweaked' the digital images in order to try and display them at their best here.

To say I've 'saved the best till last' is an undestatement in my opinion. I think Don's work is quite superb, and his great passion and enthusiasm for 'our' bikes really shines through in these splendid creations. I hope that seeing them will give you all as much pleasure as they have given me.

Enjoy, and thanks again Don!
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Brian Thompson; 07/08/2010, 09:00 PM.

Comment

Don Heath's Watercolours (post 2 of 2.)

Here are some more of Don's fantastic paintings.

Brian.
            Attached Files

Comment

Don Heath's 'Mug Bikes' (post 1 of 2.)

As mentioned in a previous post, Don was also responsible for the superb line drawings used on the GRA regalia (now supplies) mugs. Here are all of the drawings that Don produced over the years, and for those of us who don't have the full 'set', at least we can now see all the designs. Aren't they great!

Brian.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Brian Thompson; 07/08/2010, 08:58 PM.

Comment

Don Heath's 'Mug Bikes' (post 2 of 2), and three more illustrations.

Here are the last two of Don's drawings, and probably the ones that will be the most familiar to recent GRA members, if you bought a mug that is! Also, to round things off there are a couple of card illustrations and a nice sketch of a banana forked MX (these last three images are not by Don.)

I hope everyone enjoys looking through all the images I've assembled in this thread, and it sure was a lot of fun putting them together to share with everyone!

Has anyone else got any Greeves related artwork/line drawings/original sketches/paintings etc to share with us here on the forum? It would be great to see anything similar that other members may have! Just tack any posts (with attachments) on to this thread if you do have anything (just click 'reply' at the bottom of this post) and many thanks in anticipation!

By the way, don't worry if you don't have a scanner to input the images with. A digital camera works really well, even to 'photograph a photograph'. I've done quite a few of the images I've uploaded here that way, followed by a few tweaks on the computer to sharpen 'em up a bit and adjust brightness/contrast etc. If anyone needs any assistance or advice with this sort of thing please don't hesitate to give me a shout (or send me a PM.) It would be a pleasure to help anyone out if required.

Brian.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Brian Thompson; 08/08/2010, 06:20 AM.

Comment

Some cracking drawings there! I dont suppose you have any in larger format?

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Thompson View Post
                    Here are the last two of Don's drawings, and probably the ones that will be the most familiar to recent GRA members, if you bought a mug that is! Also, to round things off there are a couple of card illustrations and a nice sketch of a banana forked MX (these last three images are not by Don.)

I hope everyone enjoys looking through all the images I've assembled in this thread, and it sure was a lot of fun putting them together to share with everyone!

Has anyone else got any Greeves related artwork/line drawings/original sketches/paintings etc to share with us here on the forum? It would be great to see anything similar that other members may have! Just tack any posts (with attachments) on to this thread if you do have anything (just click 'reply' at the bottom of this post) and many thanks in anticipation!

By the way, don't worry if you don't have a scanner to input the images with. A digital camera works really well, even to 'photograph a photograph'. I've done quite a few of the images I've uploaded here that way, followed by a few tweaks on the computer to sharpen 'em up a bit and adjust brightness/contrast etc. If anyone needs any assistance or advice with this sort of thing please don't hesitate to give me a shout (or send me a PM.) It would be a pleasure to help anyone out if required.

Brian.
                    Hi Brian,

Would old Greeves tee-shirts qualify?

I've done the same thing with my camera instead of my scanner...I did this with your favorite Greeves..."The Gronda"!!

Kenny

Comment

Originally posted by rcs View Post
                      Some cracking drawings there! I dont suppose you have any in larger format?
                      Glad you like them.

We have to keep the file sizes of attachments small so that we don't use up all our bandwidth.

Comment

Originally posted by Bearingman View Post
                        Hi Brian,

Would old Greeves tee-shirts qualify?

I've done the same thing with my camera instead of my scanner...I did this with your favorite Greeves..."The Gronda"!!

Kenny
                        Hiya Kenny!

I reckon old Greeves t shirts would definitely qualify, a great idea!

How about starting a new thread for 'clothing' related items like t shirts caps, etc. We've got 'Art' here, 'Memorabilia/Greevesiana' elsewhere (for patches, badges, stickers, cuff links, etc) so this would be an excellent addition Kenny- I reckon you should go for it and start us off! I've got a couple of items I can post too.

Using a digital camera in this way works well doesn't it, and really simplifies getting the attachment/file size to the right spec for the forum (I just set mine to 'VGA' and it works out about right with a bit of cropping.)

Yes, OK, I admit it.... I 'secretly' like the idea of a 'Gronda', but don't tell anyone....I've got my 'image' (?!) to think of.....!

Besides, I'm not sure I could eat a whole one by myself...!

Brian.
                        Last edited by Brian Thompson; 09/08/2010, 12:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Thompson View Post
                          Hiya Kenny!

I reckon old Greeves t shirts would definitely qualify, a great idea!

How about starting a new thread for 'clothing' related items like t shirts caps, etc. We've got 'Art' here, 'Memorabilia/Greevesiana' elsewhere (for patches, badges, stickers, cuff links, etc) so this would be an excellent addition Kenny- I reckon you should go for it and start us off! I've got a couple of items I can post too.

Using a digital camera in this way works well doesn't it, and really simplifies getting the attachment/file size to the right spec for the forum (I just set mine to 'VGA' and it works out about right with a bit of cropping.)

Yes, OK, I admit it.... I 'secretly' like the idea of a 'Gronda', but don't tell anyone....I've got my 'image' (?!) to think of.....!

Besides, I'm not sure I could eat a whole one by myself...!

Brian.
                          Brian,

I'll dig an old sweatshirt out that Kathy wore at the races when she was very young in the day.

First I'll see if it will turn out good enough to post...the artwork is a little faded.

Kenny
                          Last edited by Brian Thompson; 09/08/2010, 12:33 AM. Reason: Spelling correction on my quote-oops!!! (and not your post Kennny!)

Comment

More Greeves Art.

A nice technique sometimes employed by Greeves in the production of their brochures involved taking a photograph and then producing a 'graphic' image for use elsewhere in the layout.

A good example of this is the first pic below. It's from an early brochure cover and shows Peter Hammond (Greeves first really successful works trials rider) executing a superb 'wheelie' for a suitable action shot. This image was then redrawn, with Peter's head being replaced (!) with a rider wearing a helmet. The finished job can be seen in the second pic, as previously posted with other images in this thread (see post#1.) This image also appears as a very small graphic in the 1960 brochure, and elswhere. Interestingly, I've often wondered if the design on the front of the helmet is based on the one often seen on Triss Sharp's in period photographs...

The third pic shows the factory brochure cover for the Challenger range. Once again, it was redrawn from an action photograph, this time used on another page in the brochure. The fourth pic shows the photograph that the image was produced from. I think it may be of Bryan 'Badger' Goss, but I'm very happy to be corrected if anyone knows for sure! Note that on the cover graphic the image has been reversed to better suit the design of the layout. This can clearly be seen by the fact that the throttle cable is on the 'wrong' side...!

I've always really liked this image and decided to try and see if I could do something with it in order to make it a bit clearer and preserve it. Due to the nature of the image, this proved quite difficult to achieve, so in the end I had a go at redrawing it myself-see final pic. OK, it's not 'perfect', but then again I'm no Don Heath! I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out though and I had fun doing it. I thought I'd share it with everyone on here...hope you all like it!

You'll note that I employed a little 'artistic licence' myself and ommited the offending throttle cable in 'my' version.....!

I guess that's my next t-shirt design sorted then Kenny!

Brian.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Brian Thompson; 16/10/2010, 11:45 PM. Reason: Pics added.

Comment

Fantastic art work

Fantastic art work they really do capture the moment. Thanks for sharing them with us all on the forum.

Comment

Working...
                              X